MS Bergensfjord ferry current position
MS Bergensfjord ferry current location is at North Sea (coordinates 57.81983 N / 7.93948 E) cruising at speed of 18.8 kn (35 kph/ 22 mph) en route to HIRTSHALS. The AIS position was reported 49 seconds ago.Current Position
Specifications of MS Bergensfjord ferry
|Year built||2014 / Age: 6|
|Builder||Stocznia Gdynia SA (Gdansk, Poland), Fosen Yard (Rissa, Norway)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bergen-Stavanger-Hirtshals-Langesund|
|Building cost||EUR 51,5 million (USD 60 million)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||170 m / 558 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||31678 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
MS Bergensfjord ferry Review
Review of MS Bergensfjord ferry
MS Bergensfjord ferry is a Ro-Pax (wheeled cargo and passenger) vessel operated by the Norway-based company FJORD LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1500 passengers and 600 cars. The vessel was launched in 2014 and currently operates on the Denmark-Norway ferry routes Hirtshals-Stavanger-Bergen (crossing time 16,5 hours) and Hirtshals-Langesund (crossing time 4,5 hours), as well as on the Norwegian coastal route Stavanger-Bergen (crossing time 5,5 hours). FJORD LINE's schedule includes:
- 7 weekly crossings Hirtshals-Bergen (travel time 16,5 hours)
- 7 weekly crossings Hirtshals-Stavanger (10,5 hours)
- 7 weekly crossings Hirtshals-Langesund (4,5 hours)
- 3 daily crossings Hirtshals-Kristiansand (2 hours 15 min)
Bergensfjord is the world's first cruiseferry that was originally built as LNG-powered (by liquefied natural gas). Together with the sistership MS Stavangerfjord, they are also the world's largest cruiseferries (GT tonnage 31678) that run entirely/only on LNG.
As cruise ferry, Bergensfjord has 370 cabins (double and quads/max capacity 4 passengers) with a total of 580 berths/beds. All passenger cabins (inside and outside) are located on decks 8-9-10, all are air-conditioned, with HDTVs, bedside cabinets, mirrored dressing table / writing desk with stool chair, wall-mounted reading lamps, en-suite bathrooms (washbasin, glass shower, WC/wall-mounted toilet). Suites and Luxe cabins are larger and additionally have minibar (refrigerator) and a seating area (coffee table, armchair, 2-seater couch / sofabed). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, toiletries. Cabin access is via RFID cards (programable contactless smart cards). Cabin flooring is carpet, excepting "pet cabins" and ADA cabins (with linoleum flooring).
The ship additionally has air seat reclining seats on Deck 10 (only available from mid-June to mid-August). Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). Cabins for passengers travelling with pets are also available.
Cabin categories include:
- S4 (Deck 9) Suite / double cabin (size 24 m2) with floor-ceiling windows, double bed, sofa, minibar
- R4 (Deck 10) Captain's Corner / quad cabin (size 21 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed, minibar
- L4 (Deck 10) Captain's View / quad cabin (size 15-19 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed, minibar
- DLX3 (Deck 8) Large DeLuxe / triple cabin (size 20 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed
- DL3 (Deck 8) DeLuxe / triple cabin (size 14 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed
- ML3 (Deck 8) MiniLuxe / triple cabin (size 11 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed
- ML4 (Deck 8, near the nightclub) MiniLuxe / quad cabin (sized 12-14-15 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed
- MLS3 (Deck 8, near the nightclub) MiniLuxe / triple cabin (size 11 m2) with window, bunk beds
- ML2 (Deck 8, near the nightclub) MiniLuxe / double cabin (size 11 m2) with window, double bed
- N2 and N5 (Deck 10) Family Class / 5-person cabin (size 11-12 m2) with window, double bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds
- F4 (Decks 8 and 9) Standard / quad cabin (size 9 m2) with window, bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds
- (Deck 8, near the nightclub) Standard / quad cabin (size 9 m2) with window, bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds
- (Deck 8) Pet Cabin / Standard Obstructed View / quad cabin (size 9 m2) with window, bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds, dogs are allowed (must be booked by phone).
- I4 (Decks 8 and 9) Standard Inside / quad cabin (size 9 m2) with double bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds
- B4 (Deck 8, near the nightclub) Standard Inside / quad cabin (size 9 m2) with bed, sofabed, 2 bunk beds
- (Decks 8 and 9) Standard Outside / double cabin (size 9 m2) with window, foldaway bed, sofabed
- (Deck 8) Pet Cabin / Standard Obstructed View / double cabin (size 9 m2) with window, foldaway bed, sofabed, dogs are allowed (must be booked by phone).
- (Decks 8 and 9) Standard Inside / double cabin (size 9 m2) with foldaway bed, sofabed
- (Deck 8) Accessible (Handicap Outside) / quad cabins (for disabled passengers, size 17 m2), each fitted with window, 2 lower beds (fixed), wider doors (for wheelchair access). ADA cabins must be booked by phone.
- (Deck 9) Internal / double cabins with bunk beds.
On Deck 2 are located most of the staff and crew cabins.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Passenger registration ends 1-hour prior to ferry departure.
As facilities, the Bergensfjord cruise ship offers:
- (Deck 7) Commander Buffet (250-seat Self-Service Restaurant) offers Scandinavian and international dishes, soft drinks, tea, coffee, wine (by the glass), beer. Beverages are all included in the buffet meal price. The buffet restaurant has several theme-food stations, including Grill, Cold Table (meats, seafood), Green Market (Salads), Warm Dishes, Desserts.
- (Deck 7) Grieg Brasserie is a 62-seat restaurant combining traditional French brasserie fare with Norwegian specialties.
- (Deck 7) Winter Garden / Oasis Garden Cafe (Cafeteria / Patisserie / Coffee Bar) offers cold and warm beverages, light snacks (including fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fruit smoothies, sweet crepes) and meals (made-to-order food, pizza, stir-fry dishes, ready-made food items). Coffee drinks are fresh-brewed (from freshly ground beans). Traditional home-cooked meals and desserts are also offered.
- (Deck 7) We Proudly Serve Starbucks (brand coffee bar)
- (Decks 6 and 7) Food Market, Tax-Free Shop, clothes and accessories (brands Name It, Noisy May, YAS, Only & Sons, Norwegian Explorer, Ray-Ban, Dyrberg Kern, Thomas Sabo, Swarovski, Sno, Quay, Pilgrim).
- (Deck 7) Pier 42 (Sports Bar) offers drinks of every kind, snacks, live sports on a large TV
- (Deck 7) Fjord Lounge has a large bar, live entertainment (entertainers and artist performances)
- (Deck 7) Casino Lounge is fitted with gaming tables (roulette, poker) and slot machines.
- (Lobby Deck 7) Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- (Deck 7 - close to the Cafeteria, and Deck 10 - outdoors) Kids Play Area (playground). Outside on deck 10, kids can find a mini model (child-friendly copy) of the MS Bergensfjord ship.
- Sun Deck (Deck 9) is an outdoor deck area. Aft on Deck 9 there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- (Deck 10) Outside area, Bar, Reserved Seating Lounge (with reclining / Pullman seats).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens, and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Garage Decks are 3-4-5. On Deck 1 are the Engine Room (extending to Deck 2) and other machinery rooms. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Fjord Line (1993-founded, headquartered in Bergen Norway) is a Norwegian cargo and passenger shipping company offering services between Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Besides the cruiseferry traffic, Fjord Line also specializes in cargo shipping (via its Fjord Line Freight division) between Norway and Denmark. Fjord Line's current fleet includes the ships HSC Fjord Cat (1998-built ocean catamaran, one of the world's fastest Ro-Pax vessels), Stavangerfjord (2013), Bergensfjord (2014) and Oslofjord (1993-built as "Bergensfjord", renamed in 2014).
MS Bergensfjord ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS Bergensfjord ferryAdd Photo
Other FJORD LINE cruise ships
MS Bergensfjord ferry Wiki
The cruiseferry's name honours SS Bergensfjord - 1913-built Transatlantic ocean liner that served Norwegian America Line's cargo and passenger traffic on the route Norway-USA (Oslo-Kristiansand-Stavanger-Bergen-NYC New York). Those were direct crossings between Norway and the USA - without any calls at Continental European poerts. The classic ocean liner was constructed in Birkenhead (England) by Cammell Laird (1828-founded shipbuilding company). SS Bergensfjord's maiden voyage was on September 25, 1913 (leaving from Norway). The vessel was scrapped in 1959 in Italy (La Spezia).
The cruise ship Bergensfjord was constructed for FJORD LINE (shipowner) at Stocznia Gdanska SA (shipyard in Gdansk Poland, hull and superstructure) and at Fosen Mekaniske Verksteder (in Rissa Norway, outfitting). The shipbuilding contract was signed on April 13, 2010. The order was for two units (cruiseferries) with planned deliveries in March 2012 (Stavangerfjord) and October 2012 (Bergensfjord). The contract between was signed in Bergen, with total value EUR 103 million (EUR 51,5 million / shipbuilding cost per vessel). The deal was between the companies Fjord Line Danmark AS (future shipowner, represented by its CEO Ingvald Fardal) and Bergen Group Fosen AS (shipbuilder, represented by its CEO Pal Engebretsen).
The marine architecture was developed by Falkum-Hansen Design (owned by Finn Falkum Hansen), who also designed Hurtigruten's ships Midnatsol-Maud (2003) and Trollfjord-Eirik Raude (2002). Fun fact is that Fosen Yard AS is also the shipbuilder of the world's largest privately-owned cruise ship - MS The World.
The construction of the Bergensfjord ship (Stocznia Gdanska hull number 88) started on December 15, 2011, with the keel-laying ceremony. The vessel was launched (floated out from drydock) on March 1, 2013, and delivered to FJORD LINE on February 3, 2014. The vessel is Denmark-flagged (MMSI number 219348000). It is powered by four Rolls-Royce marine engines running on LNG (model BV12PG) with combined power output 22,4 MW. The integrated Promas propulsion system combines the rudder with propeller turbines.
In February-March 2018, MS Bergensfjord entered drydock for an extensive conversion and refurbishment project, resulting in 20% increased cabin capacity (64x new staterooms were added, with 210x more beds) and adding a new restaurant (Winter Garden, at the stern / aft). The new fore-located on Deck 10 cabins are Luxe-categories (larger-sized and with large windows). The other new staterooms are quads ("truck cabins" / share cabins) designed for freight passengers, families and solo travellers. The fleetmate Stavangerfjord underwent the same reconstruction in 2017 (November-December).
MS Bergensfjord ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review