MS Midnatsol current position
Specifications of MS Midnatsol
|Year built||2003 / Age: 17|
|Builder||Fosen Mekaniske Verksteder (Rissa, Norway)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bergen-Kirkenes|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||136 m / 446 ft|
|Beam (width)||22 m / 72 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||16151 gt|
|Passengers||500 - 970|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||MS Trollfjord (Eirik Raude), MS Finnmarken (Otto Sverdrup)|
|Former names||MS Eirik Raude|
MS Midnatsol Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Nov 26||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 07||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 18||11 days, round-trip Christmas Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 29||11 days, round-trip New Years Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1942|
MS Midnatsol Review
Review of MS Midnatsol
NEWS: In 2021, Hurtigruten adds 4 old ships to the company's expedition fleet - Spitsbergen (2009), Midnatsol (2003), Trollfjord (2002) and Finnmarken (2002). This fleet also includes Fram (2007) and the 3 newbuilds - Roald Amundsen (2019), Fridtjof Nansen (2020) and TBN (2021).
Following an extesive drydock refurbishment and refit, in 2021 the Midnatsol ship will be renamed "MS Eirik Raude".
History - construction and ownership
The shipowner Hurtigruten is a Norwegian passenger shipping company specializing in cruise and ferry services. The "Norwegian Coastal Express Route" (Bergen-Kirkenes) is a cargo-passenger ferry service along Norway's western and northern coast. Hurtigruten's cruise ferries sail nearly the entire length of Norway and complete this roundtrip itinerary in 11 days. The route also includes Lofoten Islands and Vesteralen Islands.
The 16,151-ton, 1,000-passenger cruise ship ms Midnatsol sailed her maiden voyage in April 2003 along the Norwegian coast. Her name means Midnight Sun and this magnificent ship has become a favourite with a bright interior (decorated with a celestial theme), colourful décor and modern art of Norway on display. Together with MS Trollfjord, her sister ship, she is one of the newest in Hurtigruten fleet. This has been the 4th cruise ship to be named ms Midnatsol since the creation of the company.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Midnatsol itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian's fjords. Midnatsol is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
In 2016 Fall the Hurtigruten expedition ship Spitsbergen replaced Midnatsol, which started its inaugural Antarctica cruise itinerary program in South America.
MS Midnatsol has a total of 301 cabins (of which 23 Suite, 213 Oceanview, 61 Inside) in 11 grades. Cabins as sizes vary from 64 to 484 square feet. Four are wheelchair-accessible. Most ms Midnatsol staterooms are 75-140-sq. foot Oceanview rooms. The largest aboard ms Midnatsol are the Owner’s Suites. Passengers may take advantage of some staterooms amenities such as telephone, bath products, radio, heated floors, and a writing desk.
Ship's passenger capacity (max 970) is limited to 500 on Antarctic voyages.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Midnatsol features various dining venues. Dining in the main restaurant is relaxed and informal. All menus are planned around seasonal fresh ingredients and benefit from local produce to satisfy guests' healthy appetites stimulated by the sea air. The 24-hour cafe offers drinks and snacks. There is also a selection of lounges and bars with drinks available.
Follows the complete list of ms Midnatsol restaurants and food bars.
- Midnatsol Restaurant (ship’s 335-seat dining room, with floor-ceiling windows and a large buffet station in the middle; offers buffet-style Breakfast 7:00 - 10:00 a.m. and Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner is in two fixed seatings - at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., waiter-served, with a 3-course menu and a la carte menu with light snacks).
- A la carte Restaurant, Grill & Food Court is a 24 hours open cafeteria, with a la carte priced menu for snacks, some hot meals, and drinks. It serves mainly local passengers, who use the Midnatsol ship as a port-to-port ferry boat. The portside part of the area has a separate seating area (“Cafe”) often used by passengers for reading.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Onboard MS Midnatsol you can have an unforgettable cruising experience. What would you say about 35 ports of call in seven days? This unique ship is a combination of a cargo ship, car and passenger ferry, expedition vessel and a luxury cruise ship. Many passengers use Hurtigruten’s ships as transportation, point-to-point along the coast of Norway, up to 50 travel with their automobiles.
Evenings cannot be boring with the existence of the Mysterier Bar, a full-service bar with unforgettable views. If passengers do not like noisy places, they can go to some quiet place like the Sun Deck and stargaze or watch the Northern Lights. Except staying all the time on board the MS Midnatsol, guests could benefit from exciting shore excursions and lectures by historians and naturalists about Norwegian culture, the Northern Lights, and Norwegian Christmas traditions.
Follows the complete list of ms Midnatsol lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- Conference Rooms (host multimedia presentations, lectures by scientists/wildlife experts, films about Norway; no onboard show program is offered)
- Kids Playroom (no organized activities/babysitting are offered); Video Games Arcade
- The Shop (sells Norwegian souvenirs, Hurtigruten logo merchandise, jewellery, toiletries, clothing)
- Promenade Deck (full-circle open-air deck space)
- Panorama Lounge (2-deck high, with floor-ceiling windows)
- Paradis Bar (a seating area served by the Mysterier Bar)
- Mysterier Bar (with floor-ceiling windows; features a selection of Norway’s Aquavit liquors)
- Internet corner/Internet Cafe (4 Internet computers and a printer, free of charge); Library
- The Hamsun Room (decorated with wood-panels and paintings by Norwegian artist Kenneth Blom; great to use the free Wi-Fi)
- Horisont Hall and Horisont Gallery (indoor observation lounge with panoramic windows, served by the Polar Bar)
- Polar Bar (12-seat, with great views of Atrium levels below)
- The TRIM Fitness (equipped with exercise bikes, treadmills, free weights); Saunas (for men/women); 2 jacuzzis
- The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
MS Midnatsol - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS MidnatsolAdd Photo
MS Midnatsol ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The Norwegian cruise and ferry shipping company Hurtigruten announced it will start a year-round program of expedition itineraries roundtrip from...July 8, 2020
- Cruise Industry
On Tuesday, June 16, Hurtigruten became the world's first ocean cruise line to resume passenger shipping operations following the Coronavirus (COVID...June 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
For season 2021, Hurtigruten offers its customers the choice between new expedition cruises on revamped ships (retrofitted with hybrid propulsion) or...September 3, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Hurtigruten announced that three of its ships will be drydock converted to hybrid-powered vessels. Equipped with battery packs, the trio will operate...August 20, 2019
- show more news
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Midnatsol Wiki
Midnatsol cruise ship (the name means "Midnight Sun") joined Hurtigruten's fleet in 2003 as sister to Trollfjord. It is the fourth Hurtigruten ship to bear this name. One of the previous namesakes was the Lindblad Expeditions ship National Geographic Explorer. The Midnatsol ship boasts colourful decor, Norwegian modern art collection on display, large, 2-story panorama lounge above the bow, as well as large glass expanses which allow natural light to enter and provide extraordinary views.
Fun fact is, that in August 2004, the "Hurtigruten 365" series was recorded by the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation aboard ms Midnatsol. The result was 20 episodes shown on television.
MS Midnatsol cruises along Norway's coast. Some use the vessel as transportation (ferry). Other are cruise passengers booking the full 12-day round trip itinerary. Departing from Port Bergen, the ship sails to Port Kirkenes roundtrip. This is an Arctic outpost near Russia's border, stopping at uniquely picturesque 34 ports along the way. Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voyages, the company offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
MS Midnatsol User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review