MS Nordlys current position
Specifications of MS Nordlys
|Year built||1994 / Age: 26|
|Builder||Volkswerft Stralsund GmbH (Stralsund, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bergen-Kirkenes|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||122 m / 400 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11204 gt|
|Decks with cabins||7|
MS Nordlys Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Oct 14||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$1905|
|2020 Nov 27||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 08||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Norwegian Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 19||11 days, round-trip Christmas Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 30||11 days, round-trip New Years Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$1842|
|2021 Jan 10||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2444|
|2021 Feb 01||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2482|
|2021 Feb 12||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2356|
|2021 Feb 23||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1905|
|2021 Mar 17||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2821|
|2021 Mar 28||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2821|
MS Nordlys Review
Review of MS Nordlys
Launched in 1994, ms Nordlys is one of the six “contemporary” Hurtigruten ships, together with Kong Harald, Nordkapp, Nordnorge, Polarlys, and Richard With. Together with her fleet mates, Nordkapp serves Hurtigruten’s Norwegian Coastal Voyages (NCV) program for cruise ferry travel by passenger-cargo ships.
History - construction and ownership
The shipowner Hurtigruten is a Norwegian passenger shipping company specializing in cruise and ferry services. The "Norwegian Coastal Express Route" (Bergen-Kirkenes) is a cargo-passenger ferry service along Norway's western and northern coast. Hurtigruten's cruise ferries sail nearly the entire length of Norway and complete this roundtrip itinerary in 11 days. The route also includes Lofoten Islands and Vesteralen Islands.
The 11,204-ton, 691-passenger cruise ship ms Nordlys (Norwegian for “Northern Lights”) was named after the spectacular phenomenon visible in northern waters between October and March. MS Nordlys was launched in 1994 and its colours, art, and décor are all inspired by this magnificent natural phenomenon. The unique environment on board was created by Norwegian artists. Nordlys’ guests are encouraged to unwind and relax in the elegant maritime atmosphere, including comfortable reclining chairs and panorama lounges.
- In September 2011 after a fire on board the cruise ship, two crew members perished, 260 had to be evacuated. Quick actions by rescue teams saved the vessel from tipping over.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Nordlys itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian fjords. Nordlys is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
MS Nordlys has a total of 223 cabins (of which 6 Suite, 184 Oceanview, 30 Inside, 3 for disabled) in 8 grades. Most ms Nordlys staterooms are 75-140-sq. foot Oceanview rooms. The largest aboard ms Nordlys are the Suites (320 ft2). All staterooms include amenities like radio, telephone, writing desk, and bath products. The Mini-Suites feature also a television, sitting area, large windows, and minibar.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Nordlys features some qualities which separate her from the traditional cruise ships. The everyday conveniences are offered in a large ship setting. The main restaurant offers a relaxed informal atmosphere in the evenings, and all menus use locally-sourced fresh ingredients. Hurtigruten dining boasts authentic Norwegian specialties and international cuisine.
Follows the complete list of ms Nordlys restaurants and food bars.
- Torget Restaurant (Deck 4) is the Polarlys ship’s 240-seat Dining Room with floor-ceiling windows and a large buffet station in the middle. Here are offered buffet-style Breakfast (7-10 am) and Lunch (11:30 am - 2:30 pm). Dinner is waiter-served, with 4 seatings, a 3-course menu (plus a la carte menu with light snacks). In the Torget Restaurant are also sold Hurtigruten wine packages.
- Multe Bakery (Deck 7 midship) is a patisserie/ice cream bar with a knitting corner and jigsaw puzzles. It offers freshly baked cakes and pastries along with a range of local ice creams. Guests can try the stockfish, brown cheese, and cloudberry ice cream.
- Brygga Bistro (Deck 4) offers cafe-style food and is perfect for a light lunch. It serves beverages, sandwiches, and burgers throughout the day.
- Kysten Arctic Fine Dining (Deck 4) offers a more private, intimate setting. This exquisite restaurant serves some of the world's best seafood, exotic meat and other produce directly sourced from the Arctic.
- Unlike most Hurtigruten ships, Nordlys has no 24-hour open Cafe Restaurant (Cafeteria with a la carte menu for hot/cold meals, snacks, beverages). The only 24-hours open venue is the Reception, offering guest assistance and information, along with a reduced variety of beverages, packed snacks, and sandwiches.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The onboard entertainment is low-key as most of the time is spent in discussions with fellow passengers. Occasionally, there may be live music performances in the evenings at the Bar Lounge. The ship has a small Fitness (gym room), two spa pools (outdoor jacuzzies), Infirmary. However, the small hospital is not served by a resident doctor/nurse. In cases of emergencies, the crew asks among passengers if there is medical personnel, and the ferry is always navigating close to land to deliver sick passengers to a hospital if needed.
Follows the complete list of ms Nordlys lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- The Car Deck (capacity of 26 cars / reduced from 45)
- Two Lecture Halls / Conference Rooms (Deck 4) host multimedia presentations, lectures by scientists/wildlife experts, Norway-themed films. A show program is not offered.
- Explorer Lounge and Bar (Deck 7 forward) is a Panorama Lounge (with scenic bow views from floor-ceiling-windows) that also serves as Library (shelved books, board games and cards playing).
- The Shop (sells Norwegian souvenirs, Hurtigruten logo merchandise, jewellery, toiletries, clothing)
- Promenade Deck (full-circle open-air deck space)
- Observation Lounge and Bar
- TRIM Fitness (equipped with exercise bikes, treadmills, free weights); 2 Saunas (separate for men/women)
The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
The cruise ship doesn't have Kids Playroom (indoor playground), Nursery (babysitting facility), Video Games Arcade, Internet Cafe.
MS Nordlys - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS NordlysAdd Photo
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Nordlys Wiki
The ship was christened on March 22, 1994, in Oslo Norway, and sailed to Stavanger, across the North Sea to the UK (stopping in Newcastle upon Tyne and London). On April 4, it started the Hurtigruten service on the Bergen-Kirkenes route. The ship is named after the natural phenomenon in these waters, seen each year between October and March. Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) is the meaning of "Nordlys" in Norwegian. The unforgettable phenomenon appears in the Northern Hemisphere's sky as green, sometimes red "waves".
Nordlys' onboard experience is marked by delicate interior design including only natural art, and inspired by the Northern Lights, with beautiful brass fittings and woodwork. Passenger cabins as sizes vary from 86 to 323 ft2. Three of the staterooms are designed for disabled guests. Cruise passengers are primarily 50+ Europeans. There might be some Americans as well. Announcements are made in English, Norwegian, German and any other language that is spoken by large groups on board.
MS Nordlys cruises along Norway’s coast departing from Bergen to Kirkenes (and the reverse) and stopping at 30 picturesque ports along the route. Many use the vessel as transportation (ferry). Cruise passengers stay onboard for full round trips booking it as a cruise ship. Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers. On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voyages, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
MS Nordlys User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review