MS Kong Harald current position
Specifications of MS Kong Harald
|Year built||1993 / Age: 27|
|Builder||Volkswerft Stralsund GmbH (Stralsund, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bergen-Kirkenes|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||122 m / 400 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11204 gt|
|Decks with cabins||6|
MS Kong Harald Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Nov 24||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 05||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 16||11 days, round-trip Christmas Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$1754|
|2020 Dec 17||11 days, round-trip Christmas Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||New Island Falklands||$1754|
|2020 Dec 27||11 days, round-trip New Years Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2256|
|2021 Jan 07||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2131|
|2021 Jan 18||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2168|
|2021 Jan 29||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2168|
|2021 Feb 09||11 days, round-trip Valentines Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$1905|
|2021 Feb 20||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2695|
|2021 Mar 03||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage from Bergen||Bergen||$2821|
|2021 Mar 14||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2821|
|2021 Mar 15||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||New Island Falklands||$2821|
|2021 Mar 25||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Norwegian Classic Coastal Voyage||Bergen||$2444|
MS Kong Harald Review
Review of MS Kong Harald
Launched in 1993, ms Kong Harald is the first in a series of six “contemporary” Hurtigruten ships, together with Nordlys, Nordnorge, Nordkapp, Polarlys and Richard With. Together with her fleet mates, Kong Harald serves Hurtigruten’s Norwegian Coastal Voyages (NCV) program for cruise ferry travel by passenger-cargo ships.
History - construction and ownership
The shipowner Hurtigruten is a Norwegian passenger shipping company specializing in cruise and ferry services. The "Norwegian Coastal Express Route" (Bergen-Kirkenes) is a cargo-passenger ferry service along Norway's western and northern coast. Hurtigruten's cruise ferries sail nearly the entire length of Norway and complete this roundtrip itinerary in 11 days. The route also includes Lofoten Islands and Vesteralen Islands.
The 11,204-ton, 622-passenger cruise ship ms Kong Harald was named after Harald, the King of Norway, but other famous Norwegians can also be found onboard. The bar is named after the Norwegian polar pioneer and Nobel Peace Laureate Fridtjof Nansen, the cafe – after the explorer Roald Amundsen. MS Kong Harald was introduced in 1993 and marked Hurtigruten’s centenary. Decorative details of King’s Crown emblem are to be seen in the ship’s interior.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Kong Harald itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian fjords. Kong Harald is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
MS Kong Harald has a total of 227 cabins (of which 2 Suite, 201 Oceanview, 21 Inside) in 8 grades. Finnmarken's cabins as sizes vary from 75 to 322 square feet. Three are wheelchair-accessible. Most ms Kong Harald staterooms are 75-140-sq. foot Oceanview rooms. The largest aboard ms Kong Harald is the Mini-Suite. A more detailed look at the staterooms reveals amenities like a minibar, hairdryer, in-room safe, fridge, television, and blankets for sitting outside.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Kong Harald features some qualities which separate her from the traditional cruise ships. The everyday conveniences are offered in a large ship setting. Enjoy plentiful food portions in the main restaurant or try a quick bite in the ship’s bistro. Hurtigruten dining boasts authentic Norwegian specialties and international cuisine.
Follows the complete list of ms Kong Harald restaurants and food bars.
- Brygga Bistro offers cafe-style food and is perfect for a light lunch. It serves beverages, sandwiches, and burgers throughout the day.
- Kysten Arctic Fine Dining offers a more private, intimate setting. This exquisite restaurant serves some of the world's best seafood, exotic meat and other produce directly sourced from the Arctic.
- Torget Restaurant is the ship’s dining room (capacity 240 seats, nonsmoking) with floor-ceiling windows, buffet station and Galley / Kitchen. The dining room offers buffet-style Breakfast (incl bacon, eggs, sausages, cold meats, selection of cheeses, seafood, bread, also cereals, fruits, porridge, a self-service station for coffee-tea-juice) and Lunch (incl salads and soups, hot/cold meats, pate, seafood, vegetables, desserts). The 4-seating Dinner is waiter-served (with 3-course menu /Scandinavian-Norwegian specialties). Wine by the bottle costs extra (a wine package is available for purchase at the restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The total passenger capacity of MS Kong Harald is only 622. Guests onboard the cruise ship are able to enjoy a voyage revealing the full beauty of the fjords of Norway. Many small elements part of the cruise like the Explorer Lounge, onboard saunas, the Sun Deck with panoramic views, fitness centre, a bar for after-dinner drinks, make the stay more pleasant. Cruising onboard MS Kong Harald is exciting, but more exciting are the shore excursions available in each port of call.
Follows the complete list of ms Kong Harald lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- Lecture Halls / Meeting rooms generally host multimedia presentations and expert lectures by scientists and wildlife experts. They are also used for business-, a large group- and private meetings, conferences at sea, special events, etc.
- Information Desk is for booking Hurtigruten tours/shore excursions, featuring dog sledding, bus tours to small towns (embarkation in the next port along the Kong Harald itinerary), “Northern Lights” and “North Cape” themed excursions. The Info Center also provides printed daily onboard program schedule.
- The Shop is selling mostly traditional Norwegian souvenirs and gifts, also toys and Hurtigruten logo merchandise.
- Kompass Adventure / Reception Desk (24h guest services, assistance, offers a reduced variety of drinks, snacks, sandwiches)
- The fore-located Explorer Lounge & Panorama Bar has a comfortable seating indoor area and offers 270-degree panoramic views from floor-ceiling windows, as well as bookcrossing and board games.
- Multe Bakery & Ice Cream (patisserie with knitting corner and puzzles) offers freshly-baked cakes and pastries along with a range of local ice creams and coffee beverages. Guests can try the stockfish, brown cheese, and cloudberry ice cream.
- The Fitness room is a small gym, equipped with treadmills, exercise bikes, free weights.
- Infirmary (Hospital and Pharmacy) is a small medical facility not served by a resident doctor or nurse.
- Outdoor Explorer Deck (Sun Deck) is an open-air space with the best vantage points. There is an outdoor seating area by the ship’s funnel with plenty of tables and chairs. This is also the place for the Hurtigruten Polarlys’s special ceremony called “Arctic Circle baptism”, which includes a Neptune-costumed crewmember, ice-cold seawater, and a free shot – for warming up.
- The fore-located Navigation Bridge and the adjacent Captain’s Suite and officers quarters are inaccessible for passengers. The Kong Harald ship has two outdoor whirlpools (aft-located hot tubs).
- The full-circle Promenade Deck is an open-air deck space perfect for daily observation and strolling.
- 6 service boats, of which 4 are used for passenger tendering and 2 lifeboats.
MS Kong Harald - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS Kong HaraldAdd Photo
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Kong Harald Wiki
Named after the King of Norway, the majestic Kong Harald cruise ship pays tribute to famous Norwegians - the Amundsen Cafe and Nansen Club Bar. Distinctive works of many local artists are displayed throughout. The crew varies in size on each sailing to maintain a ratio of 1 crew member for every 3 passengers. Most of the cruise passengers are 50+ Europeans, with some Americans who travel as individuals or in organized groups.
Fun fact is, that the ship doesn't have stabilizers to prevent movement in case the weather gets rough.
The Kong Harald ship offers voyages along the coast of Norway. Many passengers use the vessel as transportation (ferry for both cars and passengers). Departing from port Bergen, Finnmarken sails to port Kirkenes roundtrip. This is an Arctic outpost near Russia’s border with Norway. Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voyages, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
MS Kong Harald User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review