MS Kong Harald current position
Current itinerary of MS Kong Harald
MS Kong Harald current cruise is 11 days, round-trip Norwegian Post Ship Route. Prices start from USD 4852 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 20 Jun, 2021 and ends on 01 Jul, 2021.
Specifications of MS Kong Harald
|Year built||1993 / Age: 28|
|Builder||Volkswerft Stralsund GmbH (Stralsund, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bergen-Kirkenes|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||122 m / 400 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11204 gt|
|Decks with cabins||6|
MS Kong Harald Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 May 29||11 days, round-trip Norwegian Post Ship Route||Bergen||$4528|
|2021 Jun 09||11 days, round-trip Norwegian Post Ship Route||Bergen||$4690|
|2021 Jun 20||11 days, round-trip Norwegian Post Ship Route||Bergen||$4852|
|2021 Jul 04||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3487|
|2021 Jul 15||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3487|
|2021 Jul 26||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3487|
|2021 Aug 06||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3386|
|2021 Aug 17||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3386|
|2021 Aug 27||11 days, round-trip Summer Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3284|
|2021 Sep 07||11 days, round-trip Autumn Gold Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3183|
|2021 Sep 18||11 days, round-trip Autumn Gold Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3082|
|2021 Sep 29||11 days, round-trip Autumn Gold Norwegian Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3082|
|2021 Oct 10||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3423|
|2021 Oct 21||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3183|
|2021 Nov 01||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2778|
|2021 Nov 12||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2576|
|2021 Nov 23||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2585|
|2021 Dec 04||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2585|
|2021 Dec 15||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2272|
|2021 Dec 26||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2880|
|2022 Jan 06||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2677|
|2022 Jan 17||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2778|
|2022 Jan 28||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2778|
|2022 Feb 08||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2981|
|2022 Feb 19||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2981|
|2022 Mar 02||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$2981|
|2022 Mar 13||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3082|
|2022 Mar 24||11 days, round-trip Northern Lights Classic Round Voyage||Bergen||$3082|
MS Kong Harald Review
Review of MS Kong Harald
Launched in 1993, ms Kong Harald is the first in a series of six “contemporary” Hurtigruten ships, together with Nordlys, Nordnorge, Nordkapp, Polarlys and Richard With. Together with her fleet mates, Kong Harald serves Hurtigruten’s Norwegian Coastal Voyages (NCV) program for cruise ferry travel by passenger-cargo ships.
History - construction and ownership
The shipowner Hurtigruten is a Norwegian passenger shipping company specializing in cruise and ferry services. The "Norwegian Coastal Express Route" (Bergen-Kirkenes) is a cargo-passenger ferry service along Norway's western and northern coast. Hurtigruten's cruise ferries sail nearly the entire length of Norway and complete this roundtrip itinerary in 11 days. The route also includes Lofoten Islands and Vesteralen Islands.
The 11,204-ton, 622-passenger cruise ship ms Kong Harald was named after Harald, the King of Norway, but other famous Norwegians can also be found onboard. The bar is named after the Norwegian polar pioneer and Nobel Peace Laureate Fridtjof Nansen, the cafe – after the explorer Roald Amundsen. MS Kong Harald was introduced in 1993 and marked Hurtigruten’s centenary. Decorative details of King’s Crown emblem are to be seen in the ship’s interior.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Kong Harald itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian fjords. Kong Harald is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
MS Kong Harald has a total of 227 cabins (of which 2 Suite, 201 Oceanview, 21 Inside) in 8 grades. Finnmarken's cabins as sizes vary from 75 to 322 square feet. Three are wheelchair-accessible. Most ms Kong Harald staterooms are 75-140-sq. foot Oceanview rooms. The largest aboard ms Kong Harald is the Mini-Suite. A more detailed look at the staterooms reveals amenities like a minibar, hairdryer, in-room safe, fridge, television, and blankets for sitting outside.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Kong Harald features some qualities which separate her from the traditional cruise ships. The everyday conveniences are offered in a large ship setting. Enjoy plentiful food portions in the main restaurant or try a quick bite in the ship’s bistro. Hurtigruten dining boasts authentic Norwegian specialties and international cuisine.
Follows the complete list of ms Kong Harald restaurants and food bars.
- Brygga Bistro offers cafe-style food and is perfect for a light lunch. It serves beverages, sandwiches, and burgers throughout the day.
- Kysten Arctic Fine Dining offers a more private, intimate setting. This exquisite restaurant serves some of the world's best seafood, exotic meat and other produce directly sourced from the Arctic.
- Torget Restaurant is the ship’s dining room (capacity 240 seats, nonsmoking) with floor-ceiling windows, buffet station and Galley / Kitchen. The dining room offers buffet-style Breakfast (incl bacon, eggs, sausages, cold meats, selection of cheeses, seafood, bread, also cereals, fruits, porridge, a self-service station for coffee-tea-juice) and Lunch (incl salads and soups, hot/cold meats, pate, seafood, vegetables, desserts). The 4-seating Dinner is waiter-served (with 3-course menu /Scandinavian-Norwegian specialties). Wine by the bottle costs extra (a wine package is available for purchase at the restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The total passenger capacity of MS Kong Harald is only 622. Guests onboard the cruise ship are able to enjoy a voyage revealing the full beauty of the fjords of Norway. Many small elements part of the cruise like the Explorer Lounge, onboard saunas, the Sun Deck with panoramic views, fitness centre, a bar for after-dinner drinks, make the stay more pleasant. Cruising onboard MS Kong Harald is exciting, but more exciting are the shore excursions available in each port of call.
Follows the complete list of ms Kong Harald lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- Lecture Halls / Meeting rooms generally host multimedia presentations and expert lectures by scientists and wildlife experts. They are also used for business-, a large group- and private meetings, conferences at sea, special events, etc.
- Information Desk is for booking Hurtigruten tours/shore excursions, featuring dog sledding, bus tours to small towns (embarkation in the next port along the Kong Harald itinerary), “Northern Lights” and “North Cape” themed excursions. The Info Center also provides printed daily onboard program schedule.
- The Shop is selling mostly traditional Norwegian souvenirs and gifts, also toys and Hurtigruten logo merchandise.
- Kompass Adventure / Reception Desk (24h guest services, assistance, offers a reduced variety of drinks, snacks, sandwiches)
- The fore-located Explorer Lounge & Panorama Bar has a comfortable seating indoor area and offers 270-degree panoramic views from floor-ceiling windows, as well as bookcrossing and board games.
- Multe Bakery & Ice Cream (patisserie with knitting corner and puzzles) offers freshly-baked cakes and pastries along with a range of local ice creams and coffee beverages. Guests can try the stockfish, brown cheese, and cloudberry ice cream.
- The Fitness room is a small gym, equipped with treadmills, exercise bikes, free weights.
- Infirmary (Hospital and Pharmacy) is a small medical facility not served by a resident doctor or nurse.
- Outdoor Explorer Deck (Sun Deck) is an open-air space with the best vantage points. There is an outdoor seating area by the ship’s funnel with plenty of tables and chairs. This is also the place for the Hurtigruten Polarlys’s special ceremony called “Arctic Circle baptism”, which includes a Neptune-costumed crewmember, ice-cold seawater, and a free shot – for warming up.
- The fore-located Navigation Bridge and the adjacent Captain’s Suite and officers quarters are inaccessible for passengers. The Kong Harald ship has two outdoor whirlpools (aft-located hot tubs).
- The full-circle Promenade Deck is an open-air deck space perfect for daily observation and strolling.
- 6 service boats, of which 4 are used for passenger tendering and 2 lifeboats.
MS Kong Harald - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS Kong HaraldAdd Photo
MS Kong Harald ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
At the core of Hurtigruten Group’s large-scale green upgrade of the fleet of Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Express ships are batteries, shore...May 14, 2021
- show more news
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Kong Harald Wiki
Named after the King of Norway, the majestic Kong Harald cruise ship pays tribute to famous Norwegians - the Amundsen Cafe and Nansen Club Bar. Distinctive works of many local artists are displayed throughout. The crew varies in size on each sailing to maintain a ratio of 1 crew member for every 3 passengers. Most of the cruise passengers are 50+ Europeans, with some Americans who travel as individuals or in organized groups.
Fun fact is, that the ship doesn't have stabilizers to prevent movement in case the weather gets rough.
The Kong Harald ship offers voyages along the coast of Norway. Many passengers use the vessel as transportation (ferry for both cars and passengers). Departing from port Bergen, Finnmarken sails to port Kirkenes roundtrip. This is an Arctic outpost near Russia’s border with Norway. Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voyages, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
Drydock refurbishments review
By 2023, 3x "Norwegian Coastal Express" ferryboats (Kong Harald, Nordlys, Richard With) are scheduled to complete drydocks for powerplant conversions (from diesel-only to diesel-electric / battery-hybrid), during which new low-emission diesel engines and large battery packs will be installed.
- For this project, on May 11, 2021, Hurtigruten signed a contract with Kongsberg Maritime to deliver the hybrid equipment packages.
- Each ship will be fitted with 2x SAVe Energy storage systems (1,120kWh lithium-ion batteries) controlled via SAVe CUBE (drive switchboards that control the thrusters) and 2x Bergen B33:45V diesel engines (diesel generator sets with SCR-Selective Catalytic Reduction to optimize CO emissions control). The Kongsberg's equipment also includes re-blading of the propellers, installing new thruster motors, AC (current switches), new safety and communication systems.
- The drydocks will be conducted by Myklebust Verft AS (shipyard in Gursken, Norway).
All Hurtigruten ships now have shoreside-power capabilities (plugs for electricity supply at port berths).
MS Kong Harald User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review