Greg Mortimer Review and Specifications
Specifications of Greg Mortimer
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||China Merchants Heavy Industry (Shanghai, China)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||USD 65 million|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||104 m / 341 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7400 gt|
|Passengers||120 - 160|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Review of Greg Mortimer
MS Greg Mortimer cruise ship is an ice-class 1A expedition vessel with scheduled launch in 2019. The boat is owned by SunStone Ships and operated under charter by Aurora Expeditions. The patented ULSTEIN X-BOW design is one of its unusual for expedition ship features, The vessel also utilises the latest technologies in naval engeneering.
Specializing in Arctic and Antarctica expedition cruising, Aurora Expeditions has worked with US-based shipowner SunStone Ships Inc to construct a custom-designed vessel that remains true to the ethos of the company of pioneering intimate experiences and adventures with nature.
With the highest for passenger vessel ice-class 1A (Polar Class 6 / PC 6), Greg Mortimer complies with the latest polar code specifications, offering unprecedented levels of safety and environmental protection. Exclusively designed for polar cruises, the vessel allows Aurora Expeditions to continue to provide the company's authentic, top quality small-ship travel experience.
Aurora Expeditions is among the pioneers of polar expedition cruising and a leading adventure travel company on the Australian market. The company was one of the first to introduce cruise ship tourists to numerous remote destinations in the polar regions. Established in 1991, in 2008 the company was sold and the new owners remained true to the original expedition spirit. Initially offering small-group cruises to Antarctica, Aurora Expeditions has since operated expedition voyages in Norway's Svalbard Islands, Russia's Far East, Greenland, Papua New Guinea and Amazon River.
In 2014 was inaugurated the Alaska's Inside Passage itineraries and also launched land-river-sea expeditions in Ecuador (northwestern South America). In 2015, the cruise line finished its first African expedition cruisetour with a luxury safari cruise along Chobe River in Botswana. For polar operations, Aurora Expeditions charters the ice-strengthened Polar Pioneer (fka Akademik Schuleykin), as well as the Russian research ships Spirit of Enderby (aka Professor Khromov) and Akademik Shokalskiy.
The major advantage of ULSTEIN X-BOW is the ability to pierce waves with improved stability in comparison to the traditional bow design. X-BOW vessels are less subject to vertical motions (induced by waves, continuing on course smoothly while maintaining high speeds. The Greg Mortimer ship's engines uses less fuel, so it also reduces air emissions and fuel consumption.
The ship is equipped with the latest propulsion and return-to-port systems. It also has top-notch dynamic positioning technology - computer-controlled systems allowing automatic maintenance of the vessel's position through its own propulsion units (thrusters and propellers). This allows stable floating while maintaining the necessary stability for launching watercraft - and without using anchors.
Aurora Expeditions’ newest ship makes access to nature much more easier and offers guests a more comfortable experience along with dedicated observation decks and outdoor viewing areas. It provides better adventure ship travel opportunities via a custom-designed platform for seakayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving. A fleet of small-sized Zodiacs (inflatable boats) are used for passenger transportation between the ship and land. The aft-located Zodiac loading platform also allows easy boarding. The ship has two lifeboats (full passenger capacity) and spacious Sun Deck used for both relaxation and wildlife viewing.
On January 22, 2018, Aurora Expedition officially announced the new ship's full polar cruise itinerary program for the vessel's inaugural season 2019-2020.
The "Inaugural Cruise" to Antarctica was scheduled for October 2019. Follow a total of 20 voyages (season 2019-2020) which itineraries visit Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia Island (UK) and The Falklands, as well as the located in the Arctic Ocean Svalbard (Norway), Jan Mayen Island (Norway), Franz Josef Land (Russia), East Greenland, Iceland.
Greg Mortimer wiki
- The cruise ship's name honours Greg Mortimer (born 1952) - Aurora Expeditions company's co-founder (together with his wife Margaret Mortimer). He is best known as one of the first Australians to climb Mt Everest without oxygen (in October 1984).
- On March 17, 2018, officially started the vessel's construction with the steel-cutting ceremony at Jiangsu FRP shipyard (Haimen Base, China). The ceremony was attended by Xianfu Hu (CMIH's General Manager) and Niels-Erik Lund (SunStone's CEO).
- In the end of February 2018, the ship-charterer Aurora Expeditions announced company's deal with "CMI Leisure Management" (Miami-based company). The MS Greg Mortimer ship management deal included staffing, hotel services, housekeeping, onboard food and beverages, purchasing supplies, logistics. CMI Leisure is among the world's leading companies providing small-ship management services. The company was first contracted by Aurora Expeditions for managing the SunStone-owned ship MS Polar Pioneer.
MS Greg Mortimer ship technology
MS Greg Mortimer is the first in a series of all 4 expedition cruise vesssels (sisterships) of the same ice-class (PC6) and design.
- On March 16, 2017, SunStone Ships Inc signed the 4-ship building agreement with the Hong Kong-nased company "China Merchants Industry Holdings" (abbrev CMIH) for construction of the 4 expedition vessels. SunStone is the world's largest (by tonnage) shipowner chartering exclusively expedition vessels to the cruise travel industry. , Since there is an option for additional 6 sisterships, by this so called "ULSTEIN CX103" expedition cruise ship project could be built up to 10 vessels,
- The company CMIH is a subsidiary of China Merchants Group (among country's largest groups of companies). Following the contract with SunStone Ships, CMIH signed an agreement with the Norwegian company Ulstein Design (part of Ulstein Group, headquartered in Ulsteinvik Norway) to supply the newbuild’s design and equipment package (ULSTEIN COM / Navigation Bridge system, and the integrated automation systems ULSTEIN IAS and ULSTEIN POWER), and also to supervise the shipbuilding project (at the shipyard in Shenzhen). For the ship's hotel design was contracted the Florida (USA)-based company Tomas Tillberg Design International (specializing in passenger vessel design). The design features Ulstein's patented X-BOW (providing fuel efficiency and significantly improved stability in rough weather). The vessel complies with the 2009-issued SOLAS requirements for "Virtual Anchorage" and "Safe Return to Port" (SRtP).
- CMIH also signed an agreement with the Finnish company "IS Makinen Inc" to pre-fabricate the vessels' cabins, wet units and interior public spaces. For this purpose, Makinen established a cabin assembly plant and an interior workshop facility at the shipbuilding yard in China.
- The project's shipbuilder is the subsidiary company "China Merchants Heavy Industry" (shipyard near Shanghai). The 4-ship order value was not disclosed. The vessel of the series (Greg Mortimer) was scheduled for delivery in August 2019, followed by one vessel every 6 months after.
- The ship is powered by 4x "Wartsila 20" diesel engines (two 6-cylinder plus two 8-cylinder) running on HFO (heavy fuel oil). The 6-cylinder engines are fitted with the exhaust gas cleaning system "Wartsila NOR" (NOx gas reducing technology). The contract with Wartsila was signed in November 2017. The engines were delivered in January 2018.
- The shipbuilding order was signed in June 2017. The Greg Mortimer ship officially enters service in September 2019.
Greg Mortimer ship related cruise news
China has started building its first ever polar expedition cruise ship, according to state news agency Xinhua. The country looks to shipping lanes...March 19, 2018
Australia’s leading expedition cruise company, Aurora Expeditions, announced the inaugural 2019-2020 polar season of its new world-class...March 4, 2018
Australia’s leading polar adventure cruise company, Aurora Expeditions, announced the delivery of its first new, purpose-built, expedition ship...May 16, 2017
- show more news