Scarlet Lady Review and Specifications
Specifications of Scarlet Lady
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Sestri Ponente, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 600 million (USD 710 million)|
|Owner||Virgin Group Ltd (UK)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||278 m / 912 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||110000 gt|
Review of Scarlet Lady
First Virgin Voyages cruise ship "Scarlet Lady" was named on July 20, 2018, and scheduled for delivery in 2020. Two sisterships (vessels of the same design) are ordered and planned for deliveries in 2021 and 2022. Scarlet Lady ship is currently under construction at Fincantieri's Sestri Ponente shipyard (in Genoa Italy).
These liners are known as "Lady Ships" - a play on "‘your ladyship" term regarding Vigin Group's British heritage. A number of renown designers were chosen to create a new "cruise ship" style and "adult cruising" vacation concept. For ship's interior design, the Virgin cruise line contracted the marine architecture and naval design companies Roman and Williams (NYC), Concrete Amsterdam, Tom Dixon's Design Research Studio (London UK), Gem Srl (Italy), Softroom (London UK), WORKac (NYC), Knibb Design, HL Studio (UK), HKS Architects (Dallas USA), PearsonLloyd (London UK).
Virgin is an adults-only cruise company (passengers' minimum age is 18) officially starting operations in 2020 with MS Scarlet Lady.
The 3 Virgin cruise ships are with capacity 2750 passengers (plus 1150 crew), GT tonnage 110,000 tons, ABB Azipod XO propulsion system (electric drive motors with off-hull submerged azimuth thrusters / 360--degree rotating propellers). These units provide best maneuverability (allowing in-port navigation without tug assistance) and minimal vibrations / noise. By placing the propulsion units outside the hull, the Azipod system frees up space for more lower-deck staterooms. ABB Ability technology is based on network using real-time data transferred to remote centers monitoring and analyzing the propulsion system data and also offering remote technical support.
These vessels stand out with innovative design ideas and solutions, as well as latest marine technologies for energy recovery and environmental impact reduction. Ship's cleaning energy system is provided by the Swedish company Climeon Ocean. The technology allows reducing CO2 emissions by converting diesel engines generated heat into electricity (capacity approx 1 MW) for onboard use. Each of the Virgin liners has 6 such units, saving annually approx 5400 tons of CO2. Ship's waste processing system is provided by Scanship.
Wartsila (Finnish marine technologies corporation / former shipbuilder) was contracted to provide ships' power plants. Each liner is powered by two 8-cylinder plus two 12-cylinder "Wartsila 46F" marine diesel engines. Wartsila's Hybrid Scrubber System operates in both open and closed loop and uses seawater to remove SOx from vessel's exhaust, also significantly reducing NOx emissions. The Wartsila-made navigation and automation control systems are from company's latest NACOS Platinum series.
Alternative power is provided by 4-stroke engines powering the 4 electricity gensets, each equipped with TPL-C turbochargers (by ABB).
Virgin's Scarlet Lady ship's inaugural cruise season (2020) includes 7-day Caribbean roundtrips leaving from Miami FL. Departures are on Sundays. Virgin cruise deals bookings will open in the end of 2018.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
Each Virgin ship features 93% oceanview cabins and 86% balconied staterooms (called "sea terraces"), casino, several live entertainment venues (similar to traditional theater lounges).
Ship's signature venues include:
- Athletic Club (training center) is an outdoor gym area with boxing ring and gym club equipment) located top-deck aft. Part of the Sports Deck is also the raised jogging track (Runway track, red-white colored), sundeck with open-air lounge (furnished with double daybeds and semi-circular loungers), triple netting area (overlooking below decks), 10 private cabanas (cushioned bed, low table, 2 lounge chairs), beverage service (from the outdoor Sports Bar), foosball tables, swimming pool, showers.
- MyBeast is an outdoor playground / poolside gym area.
- The Crow's Nest (aft sundeck) offers 360-degree views and is furnished with loungers and mats colored in Virgin's signature red. Here are also hosted sunrise and sunset outdoor yoga classes.
- The B Complex in an indoor fitness center with Technogym ARTIS equipment, floor-ceiling windows and separate rooms (studios) for cycling, yoga, cardio and spinning classes.
- Gym and Tonic Bar serves cold-pressed fresh juices.
- Pink Agave is a Mexican restaurant with porthole windows, metallic lighting fixtures, large tables, elongated curved area (intimate seating with 2-seat tables), separate bar (in the Lobby), private dining room (can be booked for parties and other private events).
- The Manor is the ship's 2-deck high Disco Nightclub with large dance floor.
- The Dock is an outdoor lounge (aft on Deck 7) with cushioned wooden furniture (loungers, deckchairs, daybeds).
- Test Kitchen restaurant features lab-like design (metallic furniture, beakers, test tubes),
- Richard's Rooftop is a top-deck VIP area (Suite passengers only sundeck) furnished with daybeds, deckchairs, circular loungers, large umbrellas, colored crystals.
- Redemption is the ship's Spa complex (on Deck 5) consisting of Reception, Mud Room, Salt Room, Hydrotherapy Pool, cold plunge pool, Jacuzzi, Thermal Suite (indoor spa with porthole windows, plunge pool and Jacuzzi), treatment rooms (for massages and treatments) with quartz-mattress beds, Dry Dock Salon (hairdressing services), Stubble and Groom (barber shop), Blow Dry Bar, Male pedicure Spa, Mani-pedi Spa. At night, the wellness complex transforms intu dancing lounge with live DJ music.
- Virgin cruise assengers are offered complimentary water (filtered and sparkling) at all onboard bars and restaurants. Throughout the ship. there are also complimentary water stations.
Scarlet Lady wiki
- Scarlet Lady ship's construction started with the steel-cutting ceremony held on March 22, 2017.
- Ship's keel laying ceremony was on October 31, 2017, attended by Giovanni Toti (Liguria's President), Marco Bucci (Genoa's Mayor), Richard Branson (Virgin Group's founder), Tom McAlpin (Virgin Voyages' President and CEO) and Alberto Maestrini (Fincantieri's General Manager). Boy George (UK singer, songwriter, fashion designer) performed as superstar DJ. During the ceremony were revealed ship design and hull art.
- On July 20, 2018, was the drydock's flooding, during which 2 drydock-assembled hull sections were floated out and connected. On the same day (also at at Sestri Ponente shipyard) was held the steel-cutting ceremony for the second Virgin cruise liner.
Scarlet Lady ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Take a first look at the design of Redemption Spa onboard Virgin Voyages' new ship Scarlet Lady. Redemption Spa complex (on Deck 5) consists of...August 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Virgin Voyages unveiled the name of its first ship on Friday, July 20, at Fincantieri shipyard Sestri Ponente in Genoa. Founder Sir Richard...July 20, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Virgin Voyages recently reveled some of the exciting spaces on their first, still unnamed cruise ship, currently under construction at Fincantieri...May 21, 2018
- show more news