Arosa Douro Review and Specifications
Specifications of Arosa Douro
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Class||Douro river cruiser|
|Owner||Duke Street Capital (UK)|
|Operator||Arosa Flussschiff GmbH via Douro Azul (Portugal)|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||80 m / 262 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Arosa Douro
A-Rosa Douro ship cruises in Portugal (on Douro river) departing from Oporto. The 2019-launched riverboat is the newest fleet member of the German cruise company A-ROSA Flussschiff. The boat is also fleet's first operating independently and year-round in Portugal, on cruisetours along Douro River.
Arosa Douro ship has a total of 63 staterooms. All 2-bed cabins on Deck 1 are sized 12 m2 (130 ft2) and have one non-opening window (at river level). All 2-bed cabins on Deck 2 and Deck 3 are larger (sized 15 m2 / 155 ft2) and with lowerable window, which upper part glides down to become a parapet). Ship's both Suites are on Deck 3. They are the largest staterooms (sized 29 m2 / 310 ft2), each featuring an aft-facing, step-out balcony. Cabin categories include:
- Category S (Deck 1 aft) - 2x cabins, sized 12 m2 (130 ft2)
- Category A (Deck 1) - 12x cabins, sized 12 m2 (130 ft2)
- Category C (Deck 2) - 23x French Balcony cabins, sized 15 m2 (155 ft2)
- Category D (Deck 3) - 24x French Balcony cabins, sized 15 m2 (155 ft2)
- Category F (Deck 3) - 2x Suites with private balcony, sized 29 m2 (310 ft2)
All Arosa Douro cabins offer as standard amenities
- outside window view - from either porthole (non-opening, narrow horizontal window near water level) or French Balcony (lowerable panoramic window)
- 1 double bed or 2 single beds (convertible to Queen-sized), wardrobe with sliding doors
- sitting area (low table, chairs, mirrored dressing table / writing desk with chair)
- flat TV (satellite reception, shipinfo channel, real-time bow camera views)
- electronic safe box (in the closet), phone (onboard calls only - Reception Desk, passenger cabins)
- en-suite bathroom (WC, shower, single-sink vanity, towels, bath products, hairdryer), bathrobes (on request)
- individually controlled air-conditioning
- 220V power sockets
Suites and French Balcony cabins additionally may offer triple and quad occupancy. Upon request can be provided two extra (full-size) beds - sofabed (pull-out couch) and/or faldaway. Additional beds can be delivered in the same cabin or accessible (via interconnecting door) in an adjacent cabin.
A-Rosa Douro ship's restaurant is on Deck Two. There is no fixed seating arrangement. Bottled water is included with main meals for all passengers. Appetizers and desserts are selected from the buffet, while the main course is directly ordered at the table and also served here.
The standouts on board are the comparitively large indoor spa complex (with 2 saunas, steam room, Spa massages room, gym and salon). The Douro ship also has an open-air swimming pool and mini-golf (putting green course) on the Sun Deck. The panoramic lounge is the best spot for watching the banks of Douro river, either through the big windows in the interior or in the outside at the bow. There is a dance floor as well as a stage where musical performances take place.
- Deck 1: SPA-ROSA (Massage Room, Sauna Room, Steam Room, Spa Lounge / relaxation room)
- Deck 2: Market Restaurant (main dining room), Gym (with modern fitness equipment)
- Deck 3: Panorama Lounge, Douro Lounge and Bar (with dance floor; live shows, enrichment lectures), Boutique Shop, Lobby area (with 24-hour Reception Desk / guest services - information, assistance, purser)
- Deck 4: Sun Deck with Wheelhouse (Navigation Bridge), Bar and Grill outdoor stations, shaded seating area, heated swimming pool, mini-golf, outdoor shower, sun protection loungers.
Ship's Wheelhouse and all top-deck awnings and railings can be lowered for passing under low bridges. One lift (passenger elevator) connects all cabin decks, One double staircase (midship) connects all decks.
Arosa Douro RIver cruise itineraries
A-Rosa Cruises operates with Arosa Douro ship a 8-day "DISCOVER DOURO" cruisetour itinerary. Departures are roundtrip from Oporto and visit Porto Antigo (bus tour to Cinfaes), Pinhao, Barca d'Alva, Vega de Terron (bus tour to Salamanca Spain), Regua, Lamego (bus travel). Next is listed itinerary's call ports with arrival/departure times.
- Day 1 - Flight from Germany to Portugal (Porto), bus transfer to the river cruise port (in Oporto) and embarkation on the ship.
- Day 2 - departure from Oporto at 2 pm, cruising to Porto Antigo (arrival 7 pm)
- Day 3 - departure from Porto Antigo (7 am), arrival in Pinhao (12 noon)
- Day 4 - departure from Pinhao (7 am), arrival in Barca d'Alva (2 pm)
- Day 5 - departure from Barca d'Alva (12 midnight), arrival in Vega de Terron (0:30 pm)
- Day 6 - departure from Vega de Terron (7 am), arrival in Peso da Regua (3 pm)
- Day 7 - departure from Peso da Regua (1 pm), arrival in Oporto (7:30 pm)
- Day 8 - ship debarkation, bus transfer to Porto International Airport, home-flight to Germany
- The 11-day "Douro Experience" cruisetour extension package is inclusive of train travel (from Oporto to Lisbon) and 3-night Lisbon hotel stay.
Arosa cruise deals are generally inclusive of:
- Douro River cruising and accommodation (double cabin)
- flights (between Germany and Portugal)
- onboard dining (including buffet, waiter-served main courses, drinks (throughout the day)
- onboard live entertainment (local performers, enrichment lectures, media presentation)
- complimentary onboard wellness facilities (SPA, Fitness, Sauna, sundeck areas)
- free Wi-Fi Internet
- all tours / excursions (including on ship's own bicycles), bus transfers
- food and wine tastings, free alcohol (local beers, house wines, spirits)
- 24-hour drinks (water-coffee-tea), replenished daily in all cabins bottled water
- Complimentary bicycles are provided on all land tours and in each of the visited river ports.
- Early booking discounts and AROSA travel cancellation insurance are offered with promo deals. Based on cabin availability, also offered are 25% kids discount and 15% SPA treatment discounts.
Arosa Douro wiki
The vessel is equipped with two MTU diesel engines (model Maybach 16V 2000 M60) with total power output 1,6 MW (2100 HP). Ship's propulsion is based on Schottel Z-drive (2x rudder propellers model STP-500) and an azimuth thruster (Schottel Pump Jet, model SPJ57).
The riverboat was scheduled for launch in May 2019.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.