Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker current position
Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker current location is at North Russia (coordinates 70.14056 N / 57.42420 E) cruising at speed of 15.2 kn (28 kph/ 17 mph) en route to ARCTIC 21. The AIS position was reported 38 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker
|Year built||1980 / Age: 41|
|Builder||Wartsila Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Class||Russian diesel icebreaker (cruise ship)|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||130 m / 427 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||12919 gt|
|Passengers||49 - 108|
Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker Review
Review of Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker
RV Kapitan Dranitsyn ("ледокол "Капитан Драницын") is an icebreaking vessel owned by the Russian Federation and operated by MSCO Murmansk Shipping Company.
One of the Russian icebreaker cruise ships, Kapitan Dranitsyn is a diesel-electric research vessel (RV) Ice class RMRS LL3. The ship was built for the USSR (Soviet Union) and started operations in December 1980. This ship is named after the polar explorer and captain of the Soviet Arctic fleet Herman Vasilyevich Dranitsyn.
Since October 1995 the icebreaker has been used as a research ship by AARI ("Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute" / "Арктический и антарктический научно-исследовательский институт", abbreviated as "ААНИИ"). AARI is located in Saint Petersburg and is the oldest and largest research institute in the Russian Federation in the field of comprehensive studies of the polar regions.
The vessel's main purpose is piloting cargo ships on the Northern Sea Route. The icebreaker has also carried out tourist cruises to Spitsbergen, Frantz Joseph's Archipelago, New Land, Chukotka, Bering Strait and to the North Pole. Kapitan Dranitsyn has completed research sailings into the Bering Sea, the Barents Sea and the Arctic Ocean.
- In 1996, the ship made the first around-the-world "icebreaker cruise". During the same year, Dranitsyn participated in rescuing the German cruise ship Hanseatic (now Resolute) (from the HAPAG-LLOYD Cruises fleet) with 135 passengers aboard.
- In 2000, Dranitsyn made an Arctic around-the-world cruise on the itinerary route Hammerfest – Keflavik – Stromfiord – Canadian Arctic (Alaska, Chukotka, Murmansk).
- In 2002, 2003, and 2004, the ship made research expeditions to the Laptev Sea in order to place and recover moorings in NABOS project (abbrev from "Nansen and Amundsen Basins Observational System").
- In 2002, Dranitsyn took part in shooting an advertising film for the Ford Motor Company in Spitsbergen Archipelago.
Kapitan Dranitsyn itinerary program offers scientific expeditions and excursions in the Arctic Ocean north of Russia, departing out of Murmansk.
Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker vessel details
The Dranitsyn ship was built for operations in the Baltic Sea and on the Northern Sea Route. In the last few years, the ice-breaker has been modified as a cruise ship, with 49 passenger cabins (all outside) able to accommodate up to 102 guests. Public accommodations include bars, spacious lounges, a heated swimming pool, sauna, gym, library, a small hospital.
- "Kapitan Sorokin" class of linear diesel-electric icebreaker ships also includes Kapitan Khlebnikov, Kapitan Nikolaev and Kapitan Sorokin.
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, 1 swimming pool (indoor, heated), 1 elevator, 1 helipad (helicopter deck).
- Max Draught: 8,5 m (28 ft)
- Displacement tonnage: 14917 tons
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 4515 tons
- Power: Wartsila-Sulzer (six diesel engines type 9ZL40/48), each with 3040 kW output (combined 18,24 MW)
- Propulsion: diesel-electric, with three shafts (each with 5,4 MW output, or combined 16,2 MW)
- Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker - user reviews and comments
Photos of Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreakerAdd Photo
Other Russia cruise ships
Kapitan Dranitsyn icebreaker User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review