Moby Zaza ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Moby Zaza ferry
|Year built||1982 / Age : 36|
|Builder||Schichau Seebeckwerft (Bremerhaven, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Nice-Bastia Corsica|
|Owner||Onorato Armatori SpA|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||155 m / 509 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||22161 gt|
|Former names||Olau Britannia, MS Bayard, Christian IV, MS Julia, Wind Perfection|
Review of Moby Zaza ferry
MS Moby Zaza ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Italian company MOBY LINES. The ship has max capacity of 1450 passengers and 420 cars. The vessel was launched in 1975 and currently operates on the Mediterranean (France - Corsica Island) ferry route Nice-Bastia (crossing time 5 hours).
As cruiseferry, Moby Zaza has a total of 300 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, hairdryer). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers).
Moby Zaza staterooms are in the following categories:
- Inside Twin (C2, C2G) 2-berth, no windows
- Outside Twin (C2E) 2-berth, porthole window
- Inside Quad (C4) 4-berth, no windows
- Outside Quad (C4E) 4-berth, porthole window
- Outside Twin (J2EM) 2-berth Junior Suite (1 double bed), porthole window
- Outside Quad (J4E) 4-berth Junior Suite (1 double bed), porthole window
- Moby Lines staterooms categories C2G, C2EG, C4G and C4EG are "Pet Cabins" floored with linoleum.
- Disabled cabins are not available for online booking (call Moby Lines +49 (0) 611 14020).
The ship's Seating Lounge is equipped with large TV and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining armchairs). Reserved seats are available for booking both online and onboard (at the ship's Reception Desk / subject to availability).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 1 hour prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Moby Zaza ship (classed as "Cruise Ferry") offers:
- Accommodation options - cabins, Seating Lounge (standard coach seats and reserved leather recliners).
- All lounges are fitted with large TVs (satellite reception).
- Dining options - Self-Service Restaurant (buffet-style restaurant, kids menu), A La Carte Restaurant (gourmet cuisine, fine wines, premium desserts), Acme Pizzeria (Looney Tunes-themed pizza bar / self-service), Cafeteria (self-service snack bar / patisserie / coffee shop / fast food / pizza / drinks), Admiral Pub (lounge), Winery (wine bar), Gelateria (Ice-Cream Shop), Panoramic Bar Lounge, Lido Bar (serving the sundeck area).
- Onboard food is prepared with locally-sourced products. Cuisine is traditionally Mediterranean. Buffet restaurant's menu always have several freshly cooked dishes.
- Video Games Room is a teen lounge with arcade machines.
- Children's World is a kids playroom equipped with toys, games, indoor climbers, full-size boat.
- Moby Shopping Center is combined boutique and general store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, clothing, sportswear, toiletries, electronics, toys, books, magazines.
- Cinema (tickets can be purchased from Tourist Information Desk)
- Casino (gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
- The ship has Sun Deck (aft solarium / outdoor area) served by Lido Bar (drinks and snacks).
- The ship has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
All Moby Line ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Smoking anywhere inside the ship is not allowed. Throughout all Moby ferries can be found Looney Tunes characters and branding via the company's partnership with Warner Bros.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
Moby Lines (founded in 1959, headquartered in Milan Italy) is an Italian ferry company operating on shipping routes that connect mainland Italy and France with the Mediterranean islands Corsica, Elba and Sardinia. Moby Line's current fleet includes the ships Moby Aki, Moby Corse, Moby Dada, Moby Drea, Moby Kiss, Moby Niki, Moby Otta, Moby Tommy, Moby Vincent, Moby Wonder, Moby Zaza, Princess Anastasia.
Moby Zaza ferry wiki
The ship entered service in May 1982 (for Olau Line, under the name "Olau Britannia") and was deployed on the England-Holland route Sheerness-Vlissingen.
In May 1990, the ship was sold to Fred Olsen Lines, renamed "MS Bayard" and put on Norway-Denmark service (Kristiansand-Hirtshals, Oslo-Hirtshals). In January 1991, COLOR LINE acquired Fred Olsen and the ferry was renamed "Christian IV".
In July 2008, the ship was sold to Stella Lines, renamed "MS Julia" and put on the Finland-Russia route Helsinki-St Petersburg. Following a 2-month service, the vessel was laid up until 2009 when was sold to Fastnet Line. In 2010 started operations on the UK Wales-ireland route Swansea-Cork.
In January 2017, Moby Lines signed a contract with Wartsila to provide new diesel engines for Moby Zaza. Moby contracted Wartsila for repowering the fleetmates Moby Corse and Moby Kiss. Wartsila Marine's equipment included 4 new auxiliary diesel generator sets (with automatic voltage regulators), seawater cooling systems (complete circuit), exhaust gas silencers, fuel systems.