Baie de Seine ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Baie de Seine ferry
|Year built||2001 / Age : 16|
|Builder||New Szczecin Shipyard (Szczecin, Poland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Bilbao, Portsmouth-Le Havre, Portsmouth-Santander|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||199 m / 653 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||22382 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Golfo Dei Delfini, Dana Sirena, Sirena Seaways|
Review of Baie de Seine ferry
MV Baie de Seine ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 610 passengers, 160 cars and 84 trucks. The vessel was launched in 2001 and currently operates on the UK-France/Spain ferry routes Portsmouth-(Roscoff)-Bilbao-Portsmouth (crossing time 24-36 hours), Portsmouth-Santander-Portsmouth (crossing time 24 hours) and Portsmouth-Le Havre (Paris)-Portsmouth (crossing time 8 overnights, 5,5 days).
As cruiseferry, Baie de Seine has a total of 186 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories (numbers) are 4-berth Outside (45), 3-berth Outside (15), 2-berth Outside (40), 2-berth Outside "Economie Plus" (18), 2-berth Outside "Pet-Friendly" (14), 4-berth Inside (49), 2-berth Inside (3), wheelchair-accessible (2). Also available are 5 cots.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Baie de Seine ship offers:
- Le Formule (self-service / buffet restaurant on deck 8, hot and cold meals)
- Le Cafe (patisserie on deck 7 - sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- Le Petit Marche (on deck 7 - light bites, sandwiches, soups, salads, snacks, cakes, healthy food)
- kids playroom (on deck 7, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Games Planet (teen lounge on deck 8 - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby changing room (decks 8), complimentary Baggage Room (deck 6)
- Chance Planet (deck 8, casino / gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reading Lounge (deck 10)
- Le Bar (deck 8 - fine French wines, cocktails, cold / hot drinks, flat TVs)
- plenty of outdoor deck space
- La Boutique (shop on deck 7 - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (deck 8, next to Information Desk / Reception)
- disabled toilet (deck 8)
- There is a Pet Exercise Area located forward-portside on deck 9. Passengers booked in pet-friendly cabins (deck 6) with vehicles parked on car deck 4 have to use the stairs to deck 6 then the lift to deck 6.
- The ship has 1 elevator (passenger lift) accessing all decks between deck 6 and deck 10.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 8, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship's operator Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven.
Baie de Seine ferry wiki
Sirena Seaways 2013 dock collision
- On June 22, 2013, Baie de Seine (then Sirena Seaways), with a total of 489 passengers onboard, collided with dockside at Harwich, Essex. The accident caused damage to the ferry, the loading ramp and the dockside. As a result the vessel started taking on water and its crew blocked the opening from inside. The watertight compartments were used to prevent Sirena Seaways from capisizing. An RAF search and rescue helicopter from Wattisham Airfield, Harwich RNLI lifeboat and Walton Coastguard rescue team responded to the accident, along with several other ships nearby. At 2:45 p.m. the ferry was brought alongside and all passengers were disembarked. The cause of the incident is unknown.