BRITTANY FERRIES (Ferries)
Galicia ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Galicia ferry
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (Flensburg, Germany)|
|Class||Stena E-Flexer cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Santander|
|Building cost||EUR 195 million (USD 240 million)|
|Owner||Stena AB Group (via Stena RoRo)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||185 m / 607 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||42400 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Galicia ferry
MS Galicia ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 1680 passengers, 550 cars and 64 trucks (or 130 trailers) The vessel is scheduled for launch in 2021 to operate on the UK (England)-Spain ferry route Portsmouth-Santander (crossing time 20 hours).
As cruise ferry, Galicia has a total of 257 cabins (plus 36 truck-driver cabins), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship additionally has reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories are 4-berth Outside "Club Plus", 4-berth Outside "Club", 4-berth Inside, 2-berth Inside, wheelchair-accessible. Also available are reserved lounge seats and cots.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Galicia ship offers:
- A La Carte Restaurant (120-seat, offers locally-sourced meals prepared by French chefs)
- La Restaurant (self-service/buffet restaurant, hot and cold meals)
- Le Cafe (sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks, flat TVs)
- 2 cinemas - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- kids playroom (part of Le Restaurant, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Games Planet (teen lounge - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby changing rooms, complimentary Baggage Room
- Chance Planet (casino/gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reading Lounge
- 2 Reserved Seating Lounges (with reclining / Pullman seats)
- Le Bar (fine French wines, cocktails, cold/hot drinks, flat TVs)
- Les Boutiques shops - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- disabled toilets
- elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
- Sun Deck is an outdoor area that doubles as Helideck (helipad) - helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency.
The ship features an art collection of around 1000 works, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, photography. Many artworks were made by local artists.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
BRITTANY FERRIES cruise deals
The company offers regularly scheduled ferry services between England and France (travel time on cruise ferries 3-4 hours) and between France and Spain (travel time 20-36 hours). The high-speed UK-France service allows the ships to successfully target the UK's "mini cruise" and holiday travel markets.
As on cruise vessels, all BRITTANY FERRIES ships offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Cruise accommodations range from 2-bed "Inside Cabin" to "Commodore Suite" (with in-cabin dining / Afternoon Tea and Breakfast service). Some suites are with private balconies.
Onboard food is predominantly French cuisine and prepared by French chefs. All ships have a la carte priced restaurants, self-service cafeteria, selection of bars, live entertainment (singers, magicians, pantomimes for kids), at least one cinema, casino, arcade room, Bureau de Change, baby changing rooms, disabled toilets, Sun Deck areas, free of charge Wi-Fi.
Cruise ferries on France-Spain routes have swimming pools (open during summer months only), as well as kids' play areas with supervised activities (during holidays only). Spa treatment rooms on Spain-France cruise ferries offer facials (from ProCare), massages (by certified masseuses), modern massage chairs, pedicure and manicure services (OPI nail varnishes), treatments using skincare products by the French brand "Filorga Professional".
Ships' boutique shops sell at discount prices tobacco and alcohol (budget and premium wines and spirits), as well as luxury brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, watches, sunglasses, souvenirs, toys.
Fun fact is that BRITTANY FERRIES serve annually around 22 tons of langoustines (Norway lobster), 15 tons of smoked salmon, 260 tons of meat, 240,000 English breakfasts, 333,000 liters of beer. By onboard sold perfumes, the company is ranked France's 3rd largest perfume retailer.
- Ferry fares are based on departure dates, routes and time (season).
- GBP 35 deposit is required to secure bookings during the peak summer season.
- Summer prices are usually higher. Same goes for the weekends and overnight crossings.
- Departures in the mornings, afternoons and overnights are offered throughout the whole year.
- Overnight France-Spain crossings are 7 in a week.
- Mix and match route deals are also available.
Follows the list of all BRITTANY FERRIES routes with crossing times and frequencies.
- Portsmouth-Caen (6 hours) - 3 daily
- Portsmouth-St Malo (11 hours / overnight) - daily
- Portsmouth-Cherbourg (3 hours) - 10 return (in the period late April - early September)
- Portsmouth-Santander Spain (24 hours / overnight) - 3 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Bilbao Spain (24-36 hours) - 2 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Le Havre (5 hours 30 min) - daily return crossings
- Poole-Cherbourg (4 hours 15 min) - daily return
- Plymouth-Roscoff (6 hours) 2 return
- Plymouth-Santander Spain (20 hours) - direct weekly crossings
- Cork Ireland-Roscoff (14 hours) - weekly, return crossings in the period April-November)
- Cork-Santander (26,5 hours) - 2 weekly return crossings
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Connemara, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven, Galicia, Salamanca.
Galicia ferry wiki
MS Galicia is BRITTANY FERRIES' second LNG-powered vessel (liquefied natural gas) and one of the company's largest newbuilds - together with the sisterships and fleetmates Honfleur and Salamanca. From the same series (Stena E-Flexer) are also the STENA LINE ships Estrid and Edda. The ship features innovative design and top-notch marine technologies. Its four LNG engines run on fuel without any sulfur emissions, which results in less COx and soot particulates in comparison to diesel-powered vessels. The propulsion system is diesel-electric, consisting of modern Azipod units (azimuth thrusters). This type of propulsion is generally used extensively on large-sized cruise ships as it generates less noise and vibrations, and also optimizes fuel consumption at lower speeds. Ship's combined power output is 30 MW.
On December 11, 2017, BRITTANY FERRIES signed the 3-shipbuilding financing, part of the company's EUR 750 million "Green Shipping Guarantee" program. The program was put in place in 2016, supported by "European Investment Bank" and "Societe Generale". Both banks signed a EUR 150 million guarantee agreement to support the vessel's construction. Societe Generale was the main arranger of EUR 142,6 million ship financing, which also includes a EUR 49,5 million tranche fully guaranteed by European Investment Bank.
The vessel is French-flagged and crewed-staffed. It is named after the autonomous province Galicia in northwestern Spain, bordering with Portugal (to the south). The name was chosen via competition (held in May 2018) with around 300 company personnel participating in the name contest.
Galicia ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Galicia ferryAdd Photo
Other BRITTANY FERRIES cruise ships
Galicia ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review