Stena Estrid ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Stena Estrid ferry
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||AVIC Weihai Shipyard Co (Weihai, China)|
|Class||Stena E-Flexer cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dublin-Holyhead|
|Owner||Stena AB Group (via Stena RoRo)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||215 m / 705 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||42400 gt|
|Sister-ships||Galicia, Honfleur, Salamanca|
Review of Stena Estrid ferry
MS Stena Estrid ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1000 passengers, 120 cars and 210 freight vehicles (lorries). The vessel was launched in 2019 and currently operates on the Ireland-UK (Wales) ferry route Dublin-Holyhead (crossing time 3.5 hours, 4 daily trips).
As cruise ferry, Stena Estrid has 175 cabins. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. All passenger cabins (inside and outside) have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins. All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, flat TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Estrid ship offers:
- Metropolitan Restaurant (a la carte priced formal venue - gourmet food, Mediterranean cuisine, fine wines menu, drinks, children's menus)
- Taste Restaurant (self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Taste (wine bar), Riva Bar, Sundeck Bar (weather dependent)
- C-View Bar Lounge (panoramic)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skin care products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- Internet Room, News Room (magazine lounge), Bureau de Change
- Media Room (conference center/meeting room)
- Casino (gambling tables, slot machines)
- Cinema (tickets are available at the ship's Reception / Guest Services Desk)
- Sun Deck (wooden-decked sunbathing and outdoor relaxation area served by its own Bar)
- Smoking Area
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Midship on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large flat TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica change machines are available (ATM by GWK Travelex) located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) include max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36 weeks' pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
- STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
- On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets traveling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1-hour prior to departure.
- On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but pre-booking an onboard kennel is required. Children traveling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
- All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7 big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16 small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Scottish Viking, Adventurer, Baltica, Britannica, Estrid (EFlexer), Europe, Flavia, Germanica, Hollandica, Horizon, Jutlandica, Lagan, Mersey, Nautica, Saga, Scandinavica, Skane, Spirit, Superfast VII, Superfast VIII, Superfast X, Vision.
Stena Estrid ferry wiki
"Stena E-Flexer" is a new RO-PAX vessel class introduced by STENA LINE, with a total of 6 such units currently on order / under construction. All these ferries will be chartered to Brittany Ferries, DFDS Seaways and Stena RoRo (a subsidiary of Stena Group/shipowner). Estrid's sisterships are Galicia (2021), Honfleur (2019), Salamanca (2022).
After nearly 2 years design period, in April 2016, STENA ordered the first four E-Flexer liners from the Chinese shipbuilding company AVIC Weihai, with optional 4 more vessels of the same class. Initially, the 4 ferries were planned for shipping operations in Irish Sea (homeport Belfast), but in 2018 STENA agreed to charter the 3rd E-Flexer ship (Honfleur) to Brittany Ferries.
Stena Estrid's keel-laying ceremony was held in February 2018, with scheduled delivery in early-2020. The 5th E-Flexer was ordered in April 2018, and due to be chartered to DFDS Seaways for 10 years. In May 2018 was ordered the 6th ship, due to be 10-year chartered to Brittany Ferries starting in late-2021. All E-Flexer ferries are with LNG-powered propulsion (running on LNG / liquefied natural gas). The 6th (DFDS-chartered) ship will serve the England UK-(France)-Spain route Portsmouth-(Le Havre)-Bilbao-Santander.
Stena Estrid was launched (floated-out from drydock) on January 16, 2019. The second (yet unnamed) vessel's construction started in June 2018. In July, STENA ordered 2 more sisterships, accounting for the all 8 options in the original shipbuilding order. Later, Stena RoRo announced taking new options for 4 more E-Flexer units (up to a total of 12).
Stena Estrid cruise ship will operate the Ireland-UK (Wales) route Dublin-Holyhead for STENA LINE. The 2nd (launch 2020) and 4th (launch 2021) ships will operate for STENA LINE the route Northern Ireland-England (Belfast-Birkenhead). Brittany Ferries will operate the 3rd and 6th ships on the route UK (England)-Spain (Portsmouth-Bilbao-Santander). The 5th ship will be deployed for English Channel crossings between UK and France (Dover-Calais) under 10-year bareboat charter to DFDS.
Stena E-Flexer ship technology
E-Flexer-class ferries were designed by Deltamarin (a subsidiary of AVIC International) specializing in ship design and offshore engineering and construction. The first six E-Flexer vessels have LOA length 215 m (704 ft), width 28 m (91 ft), max draft 6,4 m (21 ft), cargo deck capacity 3100 lane meters (plus additional space for 120 cars). The 7th and 8th ships (launches in 2022) are larger - 45,000 GT-tons, LOA length 240 m (790 ft), freight capacity 3600 lane meters, 263 cabins, passenger capacity 1200. Interior layouts are according to chartering company's requirements. For ferry's interior were contracted the companies Figura Arkitekter AB (Sweden) and Rheinhold & Mahla GmbH (Germany).
The first five E-Flexer ships are powered by two MaK marine diesel engines (model M43C) with total power output 25,2 MW (33,800 hp). The propulsion system is by Caterpillar. Ships' engines are "LNG-ready" (designed to be compatible with LNG fuel after some modifications), while the 6th ship is originally LNG-powered. Stena E-Flexer vessels are among world's most energy-efficient passenger ships ever constructed.
Stena Estrid ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Stena Estrid ferryAdd Photo
Stena Estrid ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Stena Line revealed it will bring a new giant ferry on the route Holyhead to Dublin. The line confirmed that the first of its new-built RoPax...June 11, 2018
- show more news