Stena Scandica ferry current position
Stena Scandica ferry current location is at Baltic Sea (coordinates 57.47358 N / 21.40700 E) cruising at speed of 18.9 kn (35 kph/ 22 mph) en route to VENT>NYN>VENT. The AIS position was reported 1 hour ago.Current Position
Specifications of Stena Scandica ferry
|Year built||2005 / Age: 17|
|Builder||Cantiere Navale Visentini (Porto Viro / Porto Levante, Italy), lengthened in 2020-2021 at Sedef Shipyard (Tuzla, Turkey)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Nynashamn-Ventspils|
|Owner||Levantina Trasporti Srl|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||222 m / 728 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||26500 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Sister-ships||Stena Livia, Stena Flavia, Stena Horizon, Stena Baltica|
|Former names||Lagan Seaways, Lagan Viking, Stena Lagan|
Stena Scandica ferry Review
Review of Stena Scandica ferry
MS Stena Scandica ferry (fka Stena Lagan) is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 970 passengers, 280 cars and 170 lorries (semi-trailer trucks). The vessel was launched in 2005 and currently operates the Sweden-Latvia route Nynashamn-Ventspils (crossing time 8,5 hours).
Before the drydock lengthening in 2020, the cruise ship Stena Lagan operated the England-Ireland ferry route Birkenhead(Liverpool)-Belfast (crossing time 8 hours). In 2021, the vessel (IMO number 9329849) was reflagged from UK (MMSI 235065969) to Bahamas (MMSI 311000955).
As cruise ferry, Stena Scandica has 202 air-conditioned cabins with en-suite bathrooms and a total of 780 berths. Passenger cabins (inside and outside) have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Stena Scandica stateroom categories include:
- (deck 5) 2-berth Disabled Cabin / Twin Outside (2 lower beds, 2 bunk beds for accompanying persons, Porthole window, LCD TV)
- 4-berth "Truck Cabin" / Quad Inside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, no window) - no TV
- 4-berth / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Porthole window) - no TV
- 4-berth Family Cabin / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Porthole window, mini-fridge, LCD TV, complimentary water, tea-coffee making facilities)
- 4-berth Comfort Class / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Porthole window, mini-fridge, LCD TV, complimentary water, newspaper, tea-coffee making facilities)
All passenger cabins are equipped with luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline-type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Scandica ship offers:
- Metropolitan Grill (serves hot food, fish and chips, pizza, jacket potato, pie, and mash. Kids menus, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free meals are also available.
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Metropolitan Bar (serves a range of wines and European beers)
- POD Lounge
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large HDTV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Cinema (tickets can be purchased from Information Desk on Lobby Deck)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Dog Hotel (booths for dogs with outdoor exercise area)
- Midship on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All bars and lounges are fitted with large HDTVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) are available, located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have a valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets traveling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to departure.
On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passports and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking of an onboard kennel is required. Children traveling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7x big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16x small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from the stern only. Freight decks 2-3-4 are for semi-trailer trucks (free height 4,9 m / 16 ft), while decks 5-6 are for cars only (free height 2,5 m / 8 ft).
Follows a list of car deck-related safety procedures.
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The operator/ship charterer Stena Line (fleet, 1962-founded, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland.
Stena Scandica ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Stena Scandica ferryAdd Photo
Stena Scandica ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Continuing the expansion of its services in the Baltic Sea, in 2021 the ferry company STENA LINE is deploying two new cruise ships on the Latvia...July 28, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The 7th vessel in the Stena E-Flexer class was floated out at China Merchants' Jinling shipyard in Weihai. The newbuild cruiseferry of Stena Line...May 30, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Stena Line’s newest ferries will be deployed on the Nynashamn Sweden - Ventspils Latvia route, according to an article by Dan Sten Olsson...March 29, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Irish Sea ferry Stena Mersey (Stena Baltica) set to sail out of the Mersey River for the last time, heading to the Baltic Sea. At 10.30 am on...February 15, 2021
- Cruise Industry
China’s CMI Jinling Weihai Shipyard started building two new E-Flexer cruiseferries for STENA LINE, both scheduled for deliveries in 2022. ...July 1, 2020
- show more news
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Stena Scandica ferry Wiki
The vessel was ordered by the Italian company Levantina Trasporti and launched in July 2005 under the name "MS Lagan Viking". The ferry was initially chartered by Norse Merchant Ferries (in 2006 acquired by Norfolkline). In July 2010, DFDS SEAWAYS acquired Norfolkline and in August renamed the ship to "Lagan Seaways". In November 2010, DFDS sold the ship to STENA LINE, which renamed it In August 2011 to the current "Stena Lagan".
In 2012-2013, the sisterships Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey (now Baltica) entered drydocks in Belfast Ireland (at Harland and Wolff shipyards) twice, for complete (GBP 8,6 million total for both vessels) refits and refurbishments. Harland+Wolff was the company that constructed also the White Star Line ships Titanic, Olympic, and Britannic.
Ship lengthening 2020-2021
In 2020, both Stena ships LAGAN (June) and MERSEY (September) entered drydocks for major reconstructions and refurbishments at Sedef Tersanesi (Turkon Holding's Sedef Shipyard in Tuzla/Istanbul). Each vessel was lengthened by 36 m / 118 ft (to total 222 m / 728 ft), also were added 75 new passenger cabins as well as a new Car Deck with drive-through (stern-only accessed double car deck capabilities) for vehicles loading/unloading (in 2 levels). The refits increased by ~30% each ferry's wheeled cargo capacity (2200 to 2875 lanemetres, 170 to 280 cars) and passenger capacity (120 to 194 staterooms).
The new (pre-assembled) midship-sections were allocated as yard numbers NB-207 (LAGAN) and NB-209 (MERSEY). Both ship-lengthening projects (Turkey's largest-ever) were postponed by ~6 months due to the Coronavirus crisis. Technological upgrades implemented on both vessels included adding an openable bow section (bow doors with new 2-deck internal ramps for drive-through operations in both directions/loading-unloading), 3x bow thrusters (2x units before), hybrid exhaust gas scrubbers, new flap rudders, new ballast water purification system. All passenger areas and staterooms were fully refurbished, new shops were added, new lounges with recliners, new Sundeck.
The lengthening is achieved by cutting the ship in two and inserting a newbuild section. STENA LINE holds the record for the longest cruiseferry lengthening - STENA HOLLANDICA (now GERMANICA), which in 2007 was lengthened by 52 m (171 ft).
Fun fact is that the STENA ships Scandica-LAGAN and Baltica-MERSEY (like all Cantiere Navale Visentini-built ferries) were originally constructed as two separate sections. These huge hull+superstructure sections were prefabricated, assembled, launched and later joined together in the shipbuilder's drydock hall in Porto Viro (approx 45 km / 28 mi south of Venice Italy).
Sedef Shipyard officially delivered Scandica to STENA RoRo on June 18, 2021. The ceremony was attended by Niclas Martensson (Stena Line's CEO) and Per Westling (Stena RoRo's Managing Director).
Stena Scandica ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review