Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry
|Year built||1996 / Age : 23|
|Builder||Schichau Seebeckwerft (Bremerhaven, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Rostock-Trelleborg|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||200 m / 656 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||37987 gt|
Current position of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry
Review of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry
MS Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 600 passengers and 445 cars. The vessel was launched in 1996 and currently operates on the Sweden-Germany ferry route Trelleborg-Rostock (crossing time 6-7 hours).
As cruise ferry, Mecklenburg Vorpommern has a total of 430 berths in 161 cabins. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The cabins (inside and outside) have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Mecklenburg Vorpommern stateroom categories include:
- 1-berth Single Outside (1 lower bed, large Picture window)
- 2-berth "Disabled Cabin" / Twin Outside (2 lower beds, Porthole window)
- 2-berth Standard Class / Twin Inside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, no window)
- 2-berth Standard Class / Twin Outside (2 bunk beds / lower + upper, large Picture window)
- 4-berth "Trucker Cabin" / Quad Inside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, no window)
- 4-berth "Family Cabin" / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Porthole window)
- 4-berth "Pet Cabin" / Quad Inside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, no window)
- 2-berth Deluxe Outside (double bed, 2 Porthole windows, minibar, flat TV)
- All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to the Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Mecklenburg Vorpommern ship offers:
- Metropolitan Grill (serves hot food, fish and chips, pizza, jacket potato, pie, and mash. Kids menus, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free meals are also available.
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Metropolitan Bar (serves a range of wines and European beers)
- Children's Room (indoor soft-play playground for kids) is fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, and offers supervised activities.
- Cinema (tickets can be purchased from Information Desk on Lobby Deck)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skin care products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Dog Hotel (booths for dogs with outdoor exercise area)
- Forward-midship on the top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large flat TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) are available, located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-week pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
- STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually a 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
- On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets traveling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1-hour prior departure.
- On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking of an onboard kennel is required. Children traveling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
- All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7 big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16 small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Cargo decks serve road vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers) and train on freight decks 3, 4 and 5. Lower Deck 3 has 6 railway tracks (freight train capacity 945 lane meters). When there is no rolling stock, Deck 3 is used for trailers. Main Vehicle Deck (4) and Upper Vehicle Deck (5) have total cargo capacity 2215 lane meters for up to 445 vehicles.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Scottish Viking, Adventurer, Baltica, Britannica, EFlexer (Estrid, Edda), Europe, Flavia, Germanica, Hollandica, Horizon, Jutlandica, Lagan, Mersey, Nautica, Saga, Scandinavica, Skane, Spirit, Superfast VII, Superfast VIII, Superfast X, Vision.
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry wiki
The ship was launched on July 27, 1996, in Bremerhaven Germany. The vessel was ordered by Deutsche Fahrgesellschaft Ostsee (DFO) and entered service on December 16, 1996. Between 1998-2012 the ferry was chartered by SCANDLINES, and since 2012 - by STENA LINE.
The ferry is named after the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state (aka "Mecklenburg-West Pomerania" and Meck-Pomm) located in northern Germany. The state's capital city is Schwerin.
The ship is powered by four MAN marine diesel engines (model 6L48-60, combined output 25,2 MW). The propulsion system features two controllable-pitch propeller (each fitted with a rudder behind it) and two bow thrusters. Te be able to navigate in reverse, the ship has a duplicate bow rudder (forward). The vessel has 2 lifeboats (capacity 150 seats each) plus 12 liferafts.
During refurbishment 2019, STENA's Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ship received Japan-made sleeping pods that can be booked by passengers to sleep and rest during ferry crossings. The cube-shaped sleeping pods are inspired by Japan's popular "capsule hotels". Each pod is sized 2 m2 and as amenities offer 1 berth (for 1 person), mattress, bed linens, controlled air-conditioning, USB charging station dock, WiFi. Luggage is stored outside (in the Lobby's lockers).
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferryAdd Photo
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review