Stena Jutlandica ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Stena Jutlandica ferry
|Year built||1996 / Age : 22|
|Builder||Van der Giessen de Noord (Krimpen aan den IJssel, Holland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Goteborg-Frederikshavn|
|Building cost||EUR 81 million|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||183 m / 600 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||29691 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
|Sister-ships||Isle of inishmore|
Review of Stena Jutlandica ferry
MS Stena Jutlandica ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has max capacity of 1500 passengers and 550 cars (or 122 lorries). The vessel was launched in 1996 and currently operates on the Sweden-Denmark ferry route Goteborg-Frederikshavn (crossing time 3 hours).
As cruiseferry, Stena Jutlandica has 50 cabins with a total of 200 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. All cabins (inside and outside) are on deck 10 and have max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Stena Jutlandica stateroom categories include:
- Double Bed Window Cabin / Twin Outside (1 double bed, 2 chairs, tea-coffee making facilities)
- 2-berth Window Cabin / Twin Outside (2 lower beds / non-convertible to queen, tea-coffee making facilities)
- 2-berth Window Cabin / Twin Outside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk)
- 2-berth Cabin / Twin Inside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk, no window)
- 4-berth Family Cabin / Quad Outside (2 lower beds, 2 bunks, window)
- 4-berth Family Cabin / Quad Inside (2 lower beds, 2 bunks, no windows)
- 2-berth Disabled Cabin (wheelchair-accessible, midship location - close to the elevator, with wider entry door, 2 lower beds, adapted bathroom - wider door, raised toilet seat, grab bars, shower seat, adjustable shower head).
- The ship has 50x 4-berth "truck cabins" that can be booked by freight drivers only.
- All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and shower heads, phones, flat TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airliine type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Jutlandica ship offers:
- (deck 8) Metropolitan Restaurant (270 seats, a la carte priced formal venue - gourmet food, Mediterranean cuisine, fine wines menu, drinks, children's menus, deck 8)
- (deck 8) Taste Restaurant (515 seats, self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- Barista Coffee Bar (400 seats, patisserie / specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yoghurt, ice cream, hot / cold drinks, deck 7)
- (deck 7) C-View Bar Lounge (400 seats).
- (deck 8) Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- On deck 8 there are also Promenade Deck (passenger-accessible outdoor relaxation area with 35 seats), fast food bar (capacity 60 seats), as well as the ship's galley (kitchen) and both main stairhalls (midship and aft).
- Children's Room (indoor softplay playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandize.
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Midship on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large flat TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica are available change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo) there are power connections (at fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) are max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36 weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more then one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours priod departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
- STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins, unless the stateroom is "pet friendly" (usually 2-bed dog cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear harness or jacket).
- On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets travelling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior departure.
- On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but pre-booking onboard kennel is required. Children travelling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
- All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7 big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16 small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from both bow and stern. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Scottish Viking, Stena Adventurer, Stena Baltica, Stena Britannica, Stena Europe, Stena Flavia, Stena Germanica, Stena Hollandica, Stena Horizon, Stena Jutlandica, Stena Lagan, Stena Mersey, Stena Nautica, Stena Saga, Stena Scandinavica, Stena Skane, Stena Spirit, Stena Superfast VII, Stena Superfast VIII, Stena Superfast X, Stena Vision.
Stena Jutlandica ferry wiki
- Stena Jutlandica was the first of two sister-ships (the second is Isle of Inishmore, IRISH FERRIES) built by the Dutch shipyard Van der Giessen de Noord. When launched in March 1996, the ship was Europe's largest RoRO-Pax ship (car and passenger ferry).
- The ship is powered by four MAN marine diesel engines (model LV48-60, total power output 25,9 MW). Its propulsion system includes two bow thrusters (made by Kamewa / Rolls Royce) and two controllable pitch propellers.
- The ferry also has a total of 600 m (1970 ft) of rail tracks (4 tracks) allowing it to load railway wagons on its main deck (accessible via the stern door).
- In 2018, the ferry's propulsion was upgraded with batteries (total capacity 50 MWh). The new battery power equipment was provided and installed by Callenberg Technology Group (subsidiary of Trident Maritime Systems).. The technology allows the ship to cruise on battery power for approx 90 km / 60 ml (the distance between Goteborg and Frederikshavn). Battery power is used by the bow thrusters, and mainly while maneuvering in port for berthing. Extended battery operations include the propellers, when the ship can run on electricity for around 20 lm / 10 ml.
- The ship's battery power is based on the plug-in hybrid technology. Batteries are generally charged in port (when the boat uses shore power supply), but can be also charged by the onboard diesel generators.