Stena Germanica ferry current position
Stena Germanica ferry current location is at Baltic Sea (coordinates 54.31787 N / 10.13673 E) cruising en route to Kiel. The AIS position was reported 4 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Stena Germanica ferry
|Year built||2001 / Age: 20|
|Builder||Navantia Puerto Real Shipyard (Cadiz, Spain)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Goteborg-Kiel|
|Owner||Stena AB Group (via Stena RoRo)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||240 m / 787 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||51837 gt|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Sister-ships||Stena Britannica, Stena Hollandica, Finnclipper, Euroferry Corfu|
|Former names||Stena Germanica III, Stena Hollandica|
Stena Germanica ferry Review
Review of Stena Germanica ferry
MS Stena Germanica ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1500 passengers and 300 cars. The vessel was launched in 2001 and currently operates on the Sweden-Germany ferry route Goteborg-Kiel (crossing time 9 hours) with 1 daily / 7 weekly crossings.
As cruise ferry, Stena Germanica has a total of 1067 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. All cabins (inside and outside) are located on decks 8, 9, 10 and 11, and have a max capacity of 5 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Stena Germanica stateroom categories include:
- (deck 10) Single Inside (1 lower bunk bed, no window)
- (deck 10) Single Outside (1 lower bunk bed, Picture window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 2-berth / Twin Inside (2 lower beds, no window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 2-berth / Twin Inside (2 bunk beds / lower + upper, no window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 lower beds, Picture window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 beds / lower + bunk, Picture window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 3-berth / Triple Inside (2 lower beds, 1 bunk bed, no window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 3-berth / Triple Outside (1 lower bed, 2 bunk beds / lower + bunk, Picture window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 4-berth / Quad Inside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, no window)
- (decks 8-9-10) 4-berth / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Picture window)
- (deck 8) 3-berth Business Class Cabin (2 lower beds, 1 bunk bed, Porthole window, complimentary minibar)
- (decks 8-9) 2-berth Captain's Class Cabin (2 lower beds, Porthole windows, complimentary minibar, coffee/tea making facilities)
- (decks 8-9) 5-berth Family Cabin Inside (3 lower beds, 2 bunk beds / 4 adults + 1 kid, no window)
- (decks 8-9) 5-berth Family Cabin Outside (3 lower beds, 2 bunk beds / 4 adults + 1 kid, Picture window)
- (deck 11) 2-berth Front View Outside (2 lower beds / convertible to double, Picture window, complimentary minibar)
- (deck 11) 3-berth Outside Jacuzzi-Suite (size 17 m2 / 180 ft2, 1 double bed + 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, floor-ceiling windows) - glassed balcony with Jacuzzi bathtub, coffee table, complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine, included Breakfast
- (deck 11) 3-berth Outside Panorama Suite (size 17 m2 / 180 ft2, 1 double bed + 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, floor-ceiling windows) - coffee table, complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine, included Breakfast
- (deck 11) 3-berth Outside Penthouse Suite (size 26 m2 / 280 ft2, 1 double bed + 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, floor-ceiling windows) - complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine
- (deck 11) 3-berth Outside Skylight Suite (size 17 m2 / 180 ft2, 1 double bed + 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, round-shaped window domes in the ceiling) - coffee table, complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine, included Breakfast
- (deck 11) 2-berth Outside Skylight Cabin (size 17 m2 / 180 ft2, 1 round bed, 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, round-shaped window domes in the ceiling) - coffee table, complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine, included Breakfast
- (deck 11) 3-berth Terrace Suite (size 17 m2 / 180 ft2, 1 double bed, 2 bunk beds / 2 adults + 2 kids, floor-ceiling windows, glass doors opening onto the Yacht Club terrace) - coffee table, complimentary bathrobes, slippers, coffee-maker, ice-machine, included Breakfast
All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, LCD TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge (180 seats). Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Germanica ship offers:
- Metropolitan Restaurant (a la carte priced formal venue - gourmet food, Mediterranean cuisine, fine wines menu, drinks, children's menus)
- Taste Restaurant (self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- The Yacht Club / Sundeck Bar (weather dependent, patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Taste (wine bar), Riva Bar
- C-View Bar Lounge (panoramic)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewellery, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- Sun Deck (wooden-decked sunbathing and outdoor relaxation area served by its own Bar)
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Midship on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large HDTVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) are available, located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for cancelling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets travelling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to departure.
On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a coloured hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking of an onboard kennel is required. Children travelling with an animal must be 16 years old. When travelling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7x big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16x small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
The ferry has 3 garage decks (for vehicles) accessible via 1 bow and 1 stern ramp (length 18,5 m / 61 ft, width 6,5 m / 21 ft). The aft cargo deck passage is 6,5 m (21 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high. The bow ramp is 14 m (46 ft) long and 19,5 m (64 ft) wide. The cargo deck passage is 20 m (66 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high.
All vehicle decks are connected via ramps. Lower garage deck (for trucks and freight) has 5 lanes/tracks, while the middle and upper decks (car decks) are with 7 lanes each. The middle car deck is divided by longitudinal bulkheads in 3, which increases its vehicle capacity. The above 3 decks are for passenger facilities.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from both bow and stern. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Adventurer, Britannica, EFlexer (Estrid, Edda), Europe, Flavia, Germanica, Hollandica, Horizon, Jutlandica, Scandica (ex Lagan), Baltica (ex Mersey), Livia, Nautica, Nordica, Saga, Scandinavica, Skane, Spirit, Superfast VII, Superfast VIII, Superfast X, Vision.
Stena Germanica ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Stena Germanica ferryAdd Photo
Stena Germanica ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Wartsila (marine engine builder), Methanex Corporation (Canada-based methanol supplier and distributor) and Stena Line (shipowner) marked the 5-year...April 15, 2020
- show more news
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Stena Germanica ferry Wiki
The vessel was launched in 2001 under the name "Stena Hollandica" and renamed in 2010 to "Stena Germanica". The ferry was initially deployed on the UK England-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland (until 2010).
In March 2007, the ship entered drydock for a major refit (reconstruction) done at Lloyd Werft shipyard (Bremerhaven Germany). During the refit, the ship was stretched/lengthened by adding a 52 m (170 ft) long midsection. The project became the world's biggest-ever enlargement of a passenger ferry. Following the refit, in August 2010 was started the current Sweden-Germany service on the route Gothenburg-Kiel.
In March 2015, the ship underwent a drydock refit in Gdansk Poland (at Remontowa Shipyard) during which it was converted to run on methanol, replacing the marine diesel oil (used as backup fuel only). Using methanol as fuel reduces greatly bad emissions - SOx (99%), NOx (60%), CO2 (25%) as well as soot particles (95%). The ship is powered by SULZER marine diesel engines (model 8ZAL40S / dual-fuel) with total power output 24 MW. Cruise ship’s annual fuel consumption is ~24,000 tons (methanol) plus ~2000 tons (MGO/marine gasoil)
In mid-April 2020, STENA LINE, Wartsila Corporation (Finland) and Methanex Corporation (Canada) celebrated 5 years of the successful operation of Stena Germanica as world's first methanol-powered ship. The conversion project was co-financed by the EU, The fuel is supplied by Waterfront Shipping (fully-owned subsidiary of Methanex Corporation) which operates the world’s largest methanol tanker fleet (11 vessels).
In June 2021, Stena Germanica cruised from Sweden to Germany (Gothenburg to Kiel) powered only by "Blue Methanol" - methanol recycled from residual steel gases (steel production by-product).
Stena Germanica ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review