Stena Britannica ferry current position
Stena Britannica ferry current location is at North Sea (coordinates 51.97214 N / 4.13357 E) cruising en route to NL HVH. The AIS position was reported 1 minute ago.Current Position
Specifications of Stena Britannica ferry
|Year built||2010 / Age: 12|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Wadan Yards / Lloyd Werft Wismar (Wismar, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Harwich-Hook of Holland|
|Building cost||EUR 188 million|
|Engines (power)||MAN (33.6 MW / 45058 hp)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||240 m / 787 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||63039 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Stena Hollandica, Stena Germanica, Finnclipper, Euroferry Corfu|
|Christened by||Susan Hammond|
|Owner||Stena AB (via Stena RoRo AB)|
|Operator||STENA LINE (via Stena Ropax Ltd)|
Stena Britannica ferry Review
Review of Stena Britannica ferry
MS Stena Britannica ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1200 passengers and 230 cars (or 300 lorries). The vessel was launched in 2010 and currently operates on the UK England-Holland ferry route Harwich-Hook of Holland (crossing time 6,5 hours).
As cruise ferry, Stena Britannica has 538 cabins with a total of 1376 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. All passenger cabins (inside and outside) are located on decks 9, 10 and 11, and have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Stena Britannica stateroom categories include:
- Single Inside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, no window)
- Single Inside Disabled (1 lower bed, no window)
- Single Outside (2 bunk beds / lower and upper, Porthole window)
- 2-berth / Twin Inside (2 bunk beds / lower and upper, no window)
- 2-berth / Twin Inside Disabled (2 lower beds, no window)
- 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 bunk beds, Porthole window)
- 4-berth / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Picture window)
- Captain's Class, 2-berth (1 double bed, large Porthole window, complimentary minibar)
- Captain's Suite, 2-berth (1 double bed, large Porthole window, complimentary minibar, additionally fitted with a sofa, table, 2 armchairs, coffee/tea making facilities)
- Comfort Class 2-berth (2 lower beds, Picture window, complimentary minibar, coffee/tea making facilities)
- Comfort Class 3-berth Family Cabin (1 larger lower bed + 1 bunk / 2 adults + 1 kid, Porthole window, complimentary minibar, coffee/tea making facilities)
- 3-berth Family Cabin (1 larger lower bed + 1 bunk bed / 2 adults + 1 kid, Porthole window)
- 5-berth Family Cabin (1 larger lower bed + 3 bunk beds / 4 adults + 1 kid, Picture window).
During drydock 2022 (conducted at Antwerp's EDR Shipyard), a total of 15 passenger staterooms were converted into "pet cabins". These are dog-friendly accommodations fitted with 2x bunk beds, a large round window (non-opening), high-class laminate flooring, dog beds.
All cabins are equipped with luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline-type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Britannica ship offers:
- Metropolitan Restaurant (a la carte priced formal venue - gourmet food, Mediterranean cuisine, fine wines menu, drinks, children's menus)
- Taste Restaurant (self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Taste (wine bar), Riva Bar, Sundeck Bar (weather dependent)
- C-View Bar Lounge (panoramic)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers-only bar lounge and restaurant)
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Internet Room, News Room (magazine lounge), Bureau de Change
- Media Room (conference center/meeting room)
- Casino (gambling tables, slot machines)
- Cinema (tickets are available at the ship's Reception / Guest Services Desk)
- Sun Deck (wooden-decked sunbathing and outdoor relaxation area served by its own Bar)
- Smoking Area
- Kennels (12 booths for dogs)
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on Deck 9).
- Midship on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large TVs and comfortable seating.
Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
During drydock 2022 was added a new Duty-Free Shop that increased the onboard retail floorspace by ~40%.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) are available, located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) are required valid EU pet passports with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have an approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets traveling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to departure.
On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passports and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking onboard kennel is required. Children traveling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7x big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16x small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
The ferry has 3 garage decks (for vehicles) accessible via 1 bow and 1 stern ramp (length 18,5 m / 61 ft, width 6,5 m / 21 ft). The aft cargo deck passage is 6,5 m (21 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high. The bow ramp is 14 m (46 ft) long and 19,5 m (64 ft) wide. The cargo deck passage is 20 m (66 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high.
All vehicle decks are connected via ramps. Lower garage deck (for trucks and freight) has 5 lanes/tracks, while the middle and upper decks (car decks) are with 7 lanes each. The middle car deck is divided by longitudinal bulkheads in 3, which increases its vehicle capacity. The above 3 decks are for passenger facilities.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from both bow and stern (cargo decks 3 and 5. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Stena Line (fleet, 1962-founded, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland.
Stena Britannica ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Stena Britannica ferryAdd Photo
Stena Britannica ferry ship related cruise news
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Stena Britannica ferry Wiki
The ferry was specifically designed for the UK-Holland route across North Sea (Harwich-Hoek van Holland) with regularly scheduled (twice daily) service in both directions. The ship is powered by 4x (2 pairs) MAN marine diesel engines (models 8L48/60CR and 6L48/60CR, total power output 33,6 MW / 2x 9,6 MW + 2x 7,2 MW). The propulsion system consists of 2x gearboxes, 2x controllable pitch propellers, 2x Becker rudders (with twisted leading edge flaps) and 2x bow thrusters (used only during docking). The main engines generated heat is used by the ship's air-conditioning/heating system.
The "RoPax 55" series of cruise ferries were ordered in 2006 by STENA LINE initially from Wadan Yards (Nordic Yards Wismar / currently "Lloyd Werft Wismar"). The ship order's total value was approx EUR 400 million. However, STENA withdrew the shipping order temporarily (due to the shipbuilder's economic difficulties) causing construction delays. The order was eventually reinstated, but the initial price was negotiated and reduced by 6% (approx 24 million). Wadan Yards MTW Wismar (with shipyards in Wismar and Warnemunde) filed for bankruptcy in December 2009 and became bankrupt in March 2010.
The sisterships Britannica and Hollandica were delivered in 2010 and christened, respectively, on June 8 (in Hook of Holland) and October 19 (in Harwich). Britannica was launched in April 2010, with inaugural crossing (maiden voyage) on October 9, 2010.
Fun fact is that the first ferry named "Stena Britannica" was the FINNLINES ship Finnfellow (entered since in 2000, renamed in 2003). Britannica ferry's namesakes are MV Britannia (P&O Cruises UK) and Spirit of Britain (P&O FERRIES).
Following ship's drydock refurbishment in November 2016 (done at Damen Shipyard, Rotterdam) the vessel emerged with a new livery (green waves, instead of the old blue ones) and new strapline ("Connecting Europe" instead of the old "Making good time"). This new livery was implemented on all STENA LINE ships during the company's planned 2016-2017 dry-docks.
Fun fact is that the company's first "Stena Britannica" named vessel was Stena Saga (in the period 1991-1994).