Viking Helgrim Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Helgrim
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Class||modified Viking Longship|
|Owner||Viking Cruises and Douro Azul|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Portugal|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||80 m / 262 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4000 gt|
|Passengers||53 - 106|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Viking Helgrim
Viking Helgrim longship cruises on Douro River in Portugal and Spain, with itineraries departing from Lisbon (2-night hotel stay) and Porto (7-day roundtrip, embarkation / disembarkation). The sailing part starts from Porto (Oporto).
The Helgrim ship is operated via partnership between Viking Cruises and Douro Azul (Portugal's largest cruisetour company). The other Viking cruise ships in Portugal are Hemming, Torgil and Osfrid. Viking's Douro cruise prices (per person, inclusive of flights from UK) range from GBP 1300 up to GBP 2300 (peak season rates pp). On select Viking Douro River cruise tours, the company offers round-trip USA airfare inclusive deals with discounted pricing on select cabins or itineraries / dates).
Viking Helgrim is a modified design longship (smaller, with reduced passenger capacity). This luxury boat was built exclusively for Douro River cruisetours and features innovative corridor configuration, modern engineering and technologies, signature Scandinavian decor, premium stateroom amenities, themed onboard entertainment, expert-led enrichment program.
The Helgrim longship also has solar panels, organic herb garden and an outdoor swimming pool. It carries 106 passengers in 53 outside staterooms. All cabins are comfortable and eleganct, with amenities like 40-inch flat TVs, hotel-style beds, premium mattresses, luxury bath products. Veranda Suites are with two full rooms, a step-out balcony (off the living room) and French Balcony (off the bedroom). The Aquavit Terrace is located at the bow of ship. The spacious Sun Deck offers 360-degree views, al fresco dining, swimming pool with sunbathing area, deck games, shaded seating. The river boat also has a library corner, boutique shop, free wireless internet service.
Viking Helgrim cruisetour prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Portugal deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates.
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Helgrim Douro river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "PORTUGAL RIVER OF GOLD" are 10-days cruises from Lisbon, with included 7-days Douro River cruise from Porto (round-trip, starting with an easterly course). These deals offer 8 complimentary land tours/excursions in Portugal and Spain included in the fares. Douro River itinerary route features unique scenery with beautifully terraced vineyards, picturesque villages and small towns, medieval castles and monasteries. Among the special activities are the local food and wine sampling of traditional Portuguese cuisine and port wines in the Douro Valley region.
- The list of port activities and cruisetours includes: Lisbon (Tivoli Lisboa or similar 2-night Lisbon luxury hotel package included), scenic bus ride to Oporto (included lunch in Coimbra, boarding the ship at the "Vila Nova de Gaia" dock), Foz (fishing village, port wines-making facility, with optional excursion to Guimaraes /embarkation again in Bitetos), bus travel to Alpendurada Monastery (traditional inn and museum, included dining and fado performances), Regua (Lamego tour to the "Shrine Of Our Lady Of Remedy" /pilgrimage site, visiting Quinta do Seixo /port wines-making facility, embarkation again in Pinhao), passing through 2 of the Douro River's locks (at Valeira and the Pocinho Dams), Barca d’Alva (bus travel to Castelo Rodrigo), full-day long tour to Salamanca Spain (included restaurant lunch and flamenco performances, embarkation again in Vega de Terron (overnight dock), Pinhao (bus tour to Favaios /wine-bread themed museum, traditional bakeries, also visiting the Quinta da Avessada winery /included dinner and wine tasting), Regua (tour to Vila Real), Gaia (overnight dock) and Oporto (disembarkation).
- There is an optional 2-night Portugal and Spain travel and hotel package offered for vsiting Braga (3rd-largest city in Portugal) and Compostela (the capital of Galicia /autonomous community in Spain).
Viking Helgrim wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 53 (of which 11 Suite, 24 Balcony, 2 French Balconies, 16 with a not-opening window).
- Restaurants: Helgrim (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), elevator, top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Herbal Garden, putting green, Sky Bar, pool, Shuffleboard). The Helgrim longship doesn't have gym room, jacuzzi, spa, but has a swimming pool on its top deck.
- Viking Helgrim cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Viking Helgrim is one of the latest generation Viking River Cruises longships specifically modified for cruising on Douro River. This is a new (patented) riverboat design allowing bigger passenger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort.
- In 2019, together with Helgrim, Viking Cruises scheduled also the launches of the standard longships Einar, Sigrun, Sigyn, Tir, Ullur and Vali.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - AA (x6, deck3), AB (x5, deck2)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x13, deck3), B (x12, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x1, deck3), D (x1, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x12, deck1), F (x4, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.