Blue Star 1 ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Blue Star 1 ferry
|Year built||2000 / Age : 19|
|Builder||Van der Giessen de Noord (Krimpen aan den IJssel, Holland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Piraeus-Psara-Oinousses-Chios-Lesbos|
|Owner||Strintzis Lines Shipping|
|Operator||BLUE STAR FERRIES|
|Speed||28 kn / 52 kph / 32 mph|
|Length (LOA)||176 m / 577 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||29560 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
|Sister-ships||Blue Star 2|
Review of Blue Star 1 ferry
MS Blue Star 1 ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Greece-based company BLUE STAR FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 1890 passengers and 780 cars. The vessel was launched in 2000 and currently operates on the Greece-North Aegean Islands ferry route Piraeus-Psara-Oinousses-Chios-Lesbos (crossing time 12 hours).
As cruise ferry, Blue Star 1 has 161 cabins with a total of 430 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The cabins can sleep up to 4 passengers, and are both inside and outside (with large windows). Each stateroom is fitted with flat TV, radio, phone, good sound insulation, choice of low and high lighting (bed and central).
Additionally, Blue Star 1 ship offers a unique class of "PURE Cabins" designed for passengers with allergies and asthma sufferers. Each room is treated with a process that thoroughly cleans all surfaces and purifies the air from particles and dust. PURE cabins are in categories LUX Outside (double / 2-bed) and A4 Outside (quad / 4-bed, with 2 bunk beds).
- The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). Designed cabins for passengers with special needs are available for booking only in advance and via phone (+30-210-8919800).
- The ferry offers pet-friendly cabins, but these are not available for online booking. Pet cabins are a limited number, so reservation in advance is required. If these are fully booked, the ship also has a small number of kennels (booths for dogs). Pets are not allowed in cabins (other than in "A4 Pets" rooms), as well as in all indoor areas, bars, restaurants, lounges. Dogs can be walked on open decks but must be leashed and muzzled.
- The ship additionally has 72 Pullman (fully reclining) seats.
- Of all staterooms, 24 are 2-bed LUX, 81 are 2-bed, 54 are 4-bed and 2 are 2-bed handicapped.
Lounge seats as categories are Super Economy, Special Economy, and Economy. Cabins are graded in the following categories:
- (outside) LUX single (1-bed), LUX double (double bed), A1 (single), A2 (2-bed), A3 (3-bed / 2 lower + 1 bunk), A4 (4-bed / 2 lower + 2 bunk), A4 Pets (4-bed, with linoleum flooring)
- (inside) AB1, AB2, AB3, AB4
- All passenger cabins are located on deck 8.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Blue Star 1 ship offers:
- On Deck 7 are located seating lounge (airline type reclining seats), Yacht Club, Roma Cafe, Lounges, 2 restaurants (buffet and a la carte priced), Shop, lobby area (with Reception Desk, Purser, ATM), outdoor seating.
- On Deck 8 are located passenger cabins, Atrium Bar.
- On Deck 9 are the Doctor's Office (First Aid), helipad, kennels.
- Goody's Burger House (self-service restaurant, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- FLOCAFE (indoor bars), FLOCAFE Bar (open-deck patisserie bar on deck 7, offers sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks).
- Gift Shops / Boutiques sell at discounted prices gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, electronics, designer sunglasses, and jewelry.
- Cinema (capacity 36 seats) - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk.
- Sickbay (Telemedical System)
- Kennels (outdoor booths for dogs) with open-air walking area
- Top-deck midship (after the Navigation Bridge and the adjacent officers quarters) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- Wi-Fi Internet service (at fee), ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception), payphone
- All bars and lounges are fitted with flat TVs.
- The ship has designated luggage storage areas. Luggage up to 50 kg (or 1m3) is free of charge. Luggage must not contain valuables. Such items can be handed over to Chief Purser (Reception) for safe-keeping.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden. The ship is equipped with 4 lifeboats, (total capacity 600), 28 liferafts (total capacity 700) and 1 fast rescue boat.
Blue Star ferry deals
- Bicycles are ferried free of charge.
- On all Greek Islands routes, the company offers 20% "Special Economy" ticket discount, EUR 20 pp "Super Economy" ticket discount, 15-20% cabin discount (all staterooms) and 20-30-50% ticket discount for SeaSmiles (loyalty program) members. All these special offers are for Piraeus departures only.
- On Greece to Crete routes (Piraeus to Heraklion), the company offers discounted cabin plus car packages. These packages are valid for one-way crossings only and booking a full cabin (grades A2, A3, A4, AB2, AB3, AB4). A 20% return ticket discount is also offered with each package.
- All-year-round ticket discounts are offered for kids ages 5-10 yo (50%), kids ages 0-5 yo (travel free in Economy Class seat or at 50% / half price in cabin), students (50% for ISIC card holders), Greek Domestic combined with Greece-Italy (30%), roundtrip Piraeus-Paros (20%, summer evening departures), ferry plus train travel (50% off seat tickets, 25% off cabin tickets - valid for FIP members / currently active personnel and their families, excepting July and August and LUX cabins).
- Since July 2009, smoking is prohibited in all indoor public areas and in all cabins. Smoking is allowed only outdoors, at designated areas on open decks.
Cars are stored on garage decks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Of all vehicle decks, three are for trailers. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Blue Star Ferries (founded in 2000, headquartered in Athens Greece, part of Attica Group) offers ferry services from mainland Greece to the Aegean Islands. It is the largest ferry company in Greece (sister-company is Superfast Ferries) and serves more than 20 island destinations. Blue Star Ferries current fleet includes the ships Blue Galaxy, Blue Horizon, Blue Star 1, Blue Star 2, Blue Star Delos, Blue Star Naxos, Blue Star Paros, Blue Star Patmos.
Blue Star 1 ferry wiki
- The ship's power plant consists of four MAN marine diesel engines (model 8L58-64, total output 22,24 MW), 1 auxiliary engine (MAN B&W, model 6L28/32, output 1,26 MW). The propulsion system consists of 2x Kamewa propellers, 2x Kamewa bow thrusters (total output 2,4 MW) and Blohm+Voss stabilizers.