Ulysses ferry current position
Ulysses ferry current location is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 53.36172 N / -5.27575 W) cruising at speed of 20.1 kn (37 kph/ 23 mph) en route to GBHLY---IEDUB. The AIS position was reported 1 minute ago.Current Position
Specifications of Ulysses ferry
|Year built||2001 / Age: 20|
|Builder||Aker Finnyards (Rauma, Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dublin-Holyhead|
|Building cost||EUR 106 million (USD 124 million)|
|Owner||ICG (Irish Continental Group)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||209 m / 686 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||50938 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
|Christened by||Mairead Berry|
Ulysses ferry Review
Review of Ulysses ferry
MV Ulysses ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the company IRISH FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 2166 passengers, 1342 cars and 240 lorries. The vessel was launched in 2001 and currently operates on the Ireland-Wales ferry route Dublin-Holyhead (crossing time 2 hours).
As cruise ferry, Ulysses has a total of 117 cabins (total capacity 228 passengers), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers). Priority boarding is offered to all car drivers.
Ulysses staterooms are all located on deck 10 and in the following categories:
- 2-berth Window Suite (Twin Outside with 2 lower beds / non-convertible to a queen, flat TV, mini-fridge, tea-coffee making facilities)
- 2-berth Window Plus Cabin (Twin Outside with 2 lower beds / non-convertible to a queen, lounge area with 2 chairs, flat TV, mini-fridge, tea-coffee making facilities)
- 2-berth Window Cabin (Twin Outside with either 2 lower beds or lower bed-bunk bed configuration)
- 2-berth Cabin (Twin Inside with 2 lower beds, no windows)
- 1-berth Cabin (Single Inside with 1 bed, no windows)
- 2-berth Disabled Cabin ((Wheelchair-accessible, midship location - close to the elevator, with wider entry door, 2 lower beds, adapted bathroom - wider door, raised toilet seat, grab bars, shower seat, adjustable shower head).
- Crew and officers cabins are on decks 10 and 11 (all 83 staterooms).
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Ulysses ship offers:
- Boylan's Brasserie (deck 9) is the ship's buffet restaurant (self-service) with a wide selection of salads (create-your-own option), fruits, desserts (pies, cakes, ice-creams), main hot dishes, soups, burgers (prime beef and veggie), beverages, light bites (sandwiches, tortilla wrap), beverages (Coca-Cola drinks, mineral water, energy drinks, fresh smoothies, Costa Coffee drinks and sweets). The restaurant also has a kids' menu. All the food is freshly prepared using the finest local produce.
- Leopold Blooms Bar (deck 9, main lounge / Irish Pub with traditional menu and craft beers, including fresh-made draft beer, brewed on the ship). The pub is furnished with comfortable leather sofas and chairs and 4-seat round tables.Pub's Irish stout is thick dark brew one of Ireland's number 3 exports - just behind the whiskey and farm produce.
- Cafe Lafayette (deck 9) is the ship's Cafeteria (self-service snack bar/patisserie/Costa Coffee bar). Snack options include croissants, panini sandwiches, French bloomer sandwich, 12-inch pizzas (extra toppings at EUR 1), homemade muffins and scones, fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit smoothies, sweet crepe station, American pancake station, Belgian waffle station, plenty of healthy and vegetarian food options.
- Java Republic (coffee and tea bar)
- Silly Milly's Fun House (deck 9)
- Volta Picture Theater (deck 9) combines 2 Cinemas, each playing 4 different movies daily. Tickets can be purchased from Information Desk.
- James Joyce Balcony Lounge (deck 10) is a comfortable seating lounge (overlooking the ship's Atrium) with reclining Pullman seats (small tables in between).
- Martello Club Class Lounge (deck 11) is an exclusive panoramic lounge for Club-class passengers. It is furnished with 4-seat leather sofas and comfortable chairs with small round tables. The lounge is served with drinks and snacks by its own bar.
- Marino Casino (Casino (slot machines gaming area on deck 11)
- Cyclops Family Entertainment Centre (deck 9) is a children's play area (kids playroom / indoor soft-play area with games and toys).
- Cyber Zone is a Video Games Arcade (including driving simulators).
- Sandycove Promenade Deck (deck 11)
- Grafton Shop (duty-free shopping area on deck 9) is a combined boutique-convenience store selling gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, leather goods, brand jewelry, sunglasses, photo-video equipment, electronics. Different shopping promotions are offered on each voyage. Among the brand stores presented onboard are Hugo Boss, Christian Dior, Calvin Klein, Cinque, Paco Rabanne, Estee Lauder.
- Freight Drivers Club Lounge and Restaurant (deck 11)
- Free Wi-Fi (onboard Internet kiosks are also available).
- Reception Desk (lobby deck 9) with adjacent Bureau de Change (ATM/cashier services)
- Ocean Lift (deck 9)
- The Navigation Bridge and the adjacent officers quarters are on deck 10.
- All lounges are fitted with large TVs (satellite reception).
- Car passengers can bring as much luggage as their vehicle can handle. Foot passengers between Ireland and UK must check-in bulky items, but have no access to them during the voyage. Foot passengers traveling between Ireland and France are allowed to bring only carry-on luggage as check-in facilities are not available.
MV Ulysses passengers can upgrade to "Club Class" for EUR 16-18 pp. Club Class deals offer reserved seating and additional amenities. The list of extra perks includes priority car boarding, exclusive bar lounge, premium seating lounge, complimentary drinks and snacks, onboard shopping discounts (up to 25%), powerpoints.
The ship has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
- On voyages between Ireland and the UK, pets are allowed to board the ship with car and foot passengers. Pets are not allowed on any of the passenger decks.
- Car passengers can leave their pets in their vehicle or in the ship's kennels (free of charge, pre-booking is required). Foot passengers must transport their pets to and from the ship in either pet cage or other carrier. The animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the trip.
- The ferry company participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel easily on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine. In accordance with PETS requirements, on voyages between Ireland and France, pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel. Pets check-ins are at least 2 hours prior departure. Each animal is charged EUR 45 / 75 / 100 per voyage. On these voyages, pets are allowed to travel only in the ship's kennels (cat boxes) and not in vehicles. As each ferry has a limited number of kennels/boxes, pre-booking is required. Visit the pets during the voyage is allowed, but only at designated times and in the company of a crew member.
- Guide dogs travel freely, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks and all public spaces.
Ulysses ship has 5 vehicle decks, of which 2 are "swing decks" (aka Plates) - purposely lowered to accommodate more low-height vehicles (with height up to 2 m / 7 ft high). Both swing decks are used mainly during holiday breaks allowing the ferry to handle a greater number of cars. Deck 3 (largest) is the main trailer deck. All car decks are connected with external ramps (located aft and forward portside).
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Irish Ferries (founded in 1992, headquartered in Dublin Ireland) is a division of ICG (Irish Continental Group) operating passenger and freight ferries on routes connecting Ireland with the UK and Europe. Irish Ferries' current fleet includes the ships Isle of Inishmore, Ulysses, Epsilon, WB Yeats, Westpac Express (fast catamaran ferry).
Ulysses ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Ulysses ferryAdd Photo
Ulysses ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Dublin headquartered Irish Ferries started its 2021 drydocking on Tuesday, February 16. Having been released by WB Yeats ferry, Ulysses ferry left...February 16, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The first ferry arrived at Port Dublin (Ireland) under new trade rules after the end of the Brexit transition period. Irish Ferries’ ship...January 1, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Irish Ferries owner ICG announced that its Ulysses ferry would be out of service for longer than it had been expected. The cruise ferry, which...July 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Irish Continental Group announced it had ordered the largest cruise ferry in the world by vehicle capacity. The US$200 million vessel will be able to...January 4, 2018
- show more news
Other IRISH FERRIES cruise ships
Ulysses ferry Wiki
The vessel is 12 decks high, with the keel to max-height 51 m (167 ft). As specifically designed to operate from homeport Dublin, the ship has a relatively small draft (6,3 m / 21 ft) and smaller propellers for its gross tonnage. Port Dublin's max depths are 12,2 m (Anchorage) and 9,1 m (cargo/ferry pier).
When launched in 2001, Ulysses became the world's largest passenger ferry in terms of car capacity - succeeding the fleet mate Isle of Inishmore (1997). Its sister ships Color Magic and Color Fantasy are both owned and operated by COLOR LINE.
Ulysses ship's builder is Rauma Shipyard Finland.
The ship is powered by four Caterpillar marine diesel engines (9-cylinder, model MAK 9M43 C8550HP) with total power output 31,2 MW. Electric power is provided by 3 generator sets (MaK 8M20 diesel engines, total power output 4,5 MW). The ship is named after, and its interior design is themed on the novel "Ulysses" (published 1922) by James Joyce.
Ulysses ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review