Mega Regina ferry current position
Mega Regina ferry current location is at West Mediterranean (coordinates 44.39698 N / 8.93000 E) cruising The AIS position was reported 1 minute ago.Current Position
Specifications of Mega Regina ferry
|Year built||1985 / Age: 37|
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Bastia-Livorno, Bastia-Toulon|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||177 m / 581 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||37799 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||SPL Princess Anastasia|
|Former names||Viking Mariella (VIKING LINE)|
|Owner||Corsica Ferries France SA (Lozali SA)|
Mega Regina ferry Review
Review of Mega Regina ferry
MS Mega Regina ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel currently operated by the French company CORSICA FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 2500 passengers and 430 cars. The vessel was launched in 1985 (as "Viking Mariella") and currently operates on the Italy-Corsica ferry route Livorno-Bastia (crossing time 4 hours) and the France-Corsica route Toulon-Bastia (crossing time 8 hours).
On May 11, 2021, VIKING LINE announced a purchase (bareboat hire) arrangement with CORSICA FERRIES to sell the cruise ship Mariella for EUR 19,6 million (~USD 23,7M / ~GBP 16,5M). As of March 31, the vessel's book value was EUR 5,7M (~USD 6,9M).
As cruise ferry, Mega Regina has 840 cabins with 2500 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, washbasin), LCD TV, radio, phone. Suites and Premium cabins additionally offer hairdryer, refrigerator, double bed, double sofabed. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers and people with reduced mobility). Allergy Cabins are with furniture made of non-allergic materials.
Cabins can't be shared - if 2 passengers are booked in a 4-bed cabin, they can't share the remaining 2 free beds with other travelers.
Staff and crew cabins are located on deck 9. Passenger cabins are graded in the following categories:
- (Deck 2) C4 (Economy), Q3 (Budget)
- (Deck 4) A4 (Seaside Standard), A4R (Seaside Standard Allergy), HA2 (Seaside Handicap), B2 (Inside Standard), B4 (Inside Standard), B4R (Inside Standard Allergy), B2P (Inside Piccolo)
- (Deck 5) LYX (Seaside Premium), LXR (Seaside Premium Allergy), A2L (Seaside Premium Large), AD2 (Seaside Comfort), BD2 (Inside Comfort), A4 (Seaside Standard), B2 (Inside Standard), B4 (Inside Standard), B2P (Inside Piccolo)
- (Deck 6) Suite, LYX (Seaside Premium), BD2 (Inside Comfort), A4 (Seaside Standard), B4T (Inside Standard), B2 (Inside Standard), B2P (Inside Piccolo)
- Family cabins are fitted with 6 beds (2 plus 4).
- Standard cabin door width is 64 cm. Suite and handicap cabin's door width is 89 cm.
- On overnight crossings, for Suite cabins (excluding Mini-Suites) Breakfast is included in the ferry ticket price. Breakfast (included for both adults and children) can be delivered via room service (in-cabin dining) or at the onboard restaurants. For en-suite dining must be filled out a room service order form and submitted to the Reception (info desk) the evening before. For restaurant dining, Suite passengers must show their cabin key in the venue.
Seaside (oceanview) cabins are with large windows, Inside and Economy-class cabins are without windows. Economy cabins are located on lower decks. Suites and Premium cabins are larger and better equipped. Only Budget cabins lack private bathrooms.
Suites and Seaside Premium staterooms offer additional / bonus amenities and services, including free Wi-Fi, exclusive VIP lounge access, early check-in and early boarding (excluding passengers with car parking) in Stockholm. VIP lounge's amenities include complimentary coffee, tea, bottled water, newspapers, flat TV (satellite reception).
All cabins are non-smoking and in-cabin alcohol consumption is forbidden. Cabin cleaning and sheets changing are done before port arrival. Staterooms are available during the entire crossing (also during cleaning).
Cot beds (for toddlers up to 1 year of age and weight under 10 kg) are also available, as well as bed rails for kids - provided complimentary upon request.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Mega Regina ship offers:
- (Anchor / Spa Deck 2) Steam Sauna, Hot Tubs
- (Lobby and Shopping Deck 6) Reception (Information Desk, ATM/cash machine), Lobby Area (Meeting Point, Aula, Luggage Lockers, Ship Entrances / Exits), Taxfree Shop, Travel Spa, Aula, Cafe Coffee & Joy, Kid's Room, Game Room (arcade machines, air hockey tables, claw machine)
- (Restaurant Deck 7) Club Mar Nightclub, Bar Music Meister, Plate Restaurant, Food Garden Restaurant (a la carte), Ocean Grill (BBQ/steakhouse restaurant), Casino, Arcade, Bar, Aula, The Buffet.
- (Conference Deck 8) Sun Deck (outdoor area), Kiosk, Aula, Lounge, Kid's Area, Bar, Lobby, Conference Rooms, Auditorium.
- (Captain's Deck 10) Navigation Bridge, Sun Deck (outdoor area)
- On top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- Free WiFi and Internet are available in designated areas - public spaces and passenger cabins, but not on car decks. The technology is based on a modern satellite system, but the speeds are still slower land-based WiFi and depending on weather conditions.
- Onboard shops are tax-free and sell brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, designer clothes and accessories, watches, sunglasses, fashion bags, sportswear, kids clothing, confectionery, packaged food and drinks (beers, premium spirits, and wines), gourmet sweets, toys, electronics and gadgets, Corsica Ferries-logoed merchandise. Among the premium brands available via onboard shopping are Dior, Tiffany, Sensai, Hugo Boss, Marc Jacobs, Lancome, Efva Attling, Calvin Klein, Paco Rabanne, Yves Saint Laurent, Armani, Biotherm, Clinique, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, Norr, Bjorn Axen, Bjorn Borg, LEGO. Shopping promotions and package discounts are always offered.
- Onboard entertainment is complimentary and includes themed shows with live performances by guest artists - music bands, singers, magicians, Swedish and international celebrities. On themed cruises are presented international cuisine specialties, holiday festivals and tributes to renowned artists.
- The cruise ship has a Casino with Blackjack and Roulette tables, as well as slot machines (throughout the ship). Bingo games are offered on most ferries, with location and schedule listed in the ship's onboard program.
- The nightclub features modern lighting and design interiors, large dance floor, LED screens, a stage for nightly live entertainment (orchestra, guest performers, themed club shows). VIP tables (4-seat) are in a dedicated VIP area designed for private party experiences. VIP tables can be booked after the ship's departure. Table price is inclusive of a bottle of Champagne, strawberries, 20 drink coupons, snacks, olives, nuts.
- The a la carte restaurant serves premium breakfast and a la carte lunch and dinner. The food is prepared with seasonal and locally-sourced ingredients. There is a premium wine list and the menu includes fresh fish, seafood, steaks, vegetarian dishes, kids menu (smaller size dishes).
- The Casual Dining restaurant serves lunch and dinner. The menu includes pizzas, pasta, steaks, hamburgers fresh-made salads, wines, cocktails, desserts, coffee and dessert drinks. Children under 12 dine at 1/2 portions (half-priced).
- The Buffet restaurant offers buffet breakfast and a classic Scandinavian smorgasbord (multiple buffet-style hot and cold dishes) and international cuisine in the evening. The buffet meal price is inclusive also of wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee, tea. Alcohol (including premium wines) are at extra charge.
- At the Cafe are also served breakfast, lunch, quick dinner, night snacks. The restaurant has several different food sections for salads, sandwiches, baked food, home-cooked food, desserts, coffee-hot drinks, beverages (soft drinks, beers, wines), Ice-creams, also Take Away station.
- The Bar and Dancing lounge offers nightly trivia quizzes, live band music, karaoke, as well as drinks menu and light food menu (sandwiches, pastries, cakes, fresh-baked buns).
- The Coffee Shop sells specialty coffees and high-quality teas with fresh-baked (on the ship) sweets and salty snacks. In the evenings, the Coffee Shop becomes a wine bar also hosting wine tastings.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Pets on the ship
The cruise ship has kennels for domestic pets. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
Guide- and assisting dogs always travel for free and permitted to go anywhere on the ship, including the lounges and restaurants.
- Pet animals are allowed on all regular ferry crossings - excepting cruises.
- Animals are allowed in passenger cabins (not in the beds) only if the owner books the whole cabin. They are not allowed in restaurants (excepting service dogs).
- When outside the cabin, dogs must always be leashed. They can be walked only the Sun Deck.
- For each pet, there is a fee, which varies by ship/route.
- On short crossings, animals are allowed to stay on car decks, but not left in the vehicles. These animals travel for free.
The engine room is on deck 1, while most crew-staff spaces (cabins, mess hall, bar lounge, dining room, brig/jail) are on decks 7-8. Garage deck (for cars, buses, trucks) is deck 3. Car Deck 3 has a hydraulic platform that when lowered divides it into two (on 2 layers) to double the space for passenger vehicles.
Car decks are closed during the crossing. Visiting garage decks during the voyage is allowed only with the Captain's permission. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Corsica-Sardinia Ferries (fleet, 1967-founded, headquartered in Bastia France and Vado Ligure Italy) is a major Western Mediterranean shipping company operating between the islands Elba, Corsica, and Sardinia.
Mega Regina ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Mega Regina ferryAdd Photo
Other CORSICA-SARDINIA FERRIES cruise ships
Mega Regina ferry Wiki
The vessel was launched on September 28, 1984 (float-out), delivered to SF Line (now VIKING LINE) on May 17, 1985, and entered service on May 18. When launched, this was the world's biggest cruiseferry by GT tonnage/volume and passenger capacity - until 1989 when was surpassed by the fleetmate Athena (now Pearl Seaways). Sistership is Princess Anastasia (1986-built).
The ferryboat's hull is ice-strengthened (classed "1A Super") allowing shipping operations in icy waters without icebreaking vessel assistance. Ship's powerplant includes 4x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model Pielstick 12PC2 6V-400E, total power output 23,8 MW). Propulsion consists of two shaft lines with fixed pitch propellers.
Since its delivery, the cruise ship was deployed on the Stockholm-Helsinki route (1985-2020), making its service the longest on the route. In September 2000, the ship entered drydock in Naantali (Finland). During the reconstruction, its interior was updated and the disco nightclub moved (from deck 8 to deck 7). During drydock 2006, the onboard Tax-Free Shop and Parfumerie were redesigned, and the Ocean Grill restaurant was added.
During drydock 2015 were renovated all passenger cabins and restaurants. During refurbishment 2017 (September 10-22), the ship underwent a major overhaul of the "Coffee and Joy Cafe" (dedicated pastry chef, menu upgraded with more fresh-baked goods, desserts, specialty coffees) and the adjoining kids' playground area. Tax-Free Shop was renovated and redesigned, with more space allocated to fashion, beauty products and alcohol (including sparkling wines). The buffet restaurant was also renovated.
Due to the Coronavirus crisis, in 2020 the Stockholm-Helsinki ferry service was terminated and in August VIKING LINE officially put MS Mariella up for sale. In May 2021 was announced that the boat is sold to CORSICA FERRIES for EUR 19,6 million. Since June 2021, the cruise ship operates under the name "Mega Regina".
On September 28, 1994, the ship assisted the rescue operation during MS Estonia sinking.
This shipwreck disaster resulted in 852 dead, ranking it Europe's second-deadliest (after RMS Titanic) and world's third-deadliest (after "MS Al-Salam Boccaccio 98" sinking).
Mega Regina ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review