Moby Otta ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Moby Otta ferry
|Year built||1976 / Age : 43|
|Builder||Flender Werke (Lubeck, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Genoa-Olbia Sardinia|
|Owner||Onorato Armatori SpA|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||185 m / 607 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||22528 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||Tor Scandinavia, World Wide Expo, Princess of Scandinavia|
Review of Moby Otta ferry
MS Moby Otta ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Italian company MOBY LINES. The ship has max capacity of 1900 passengers and 500 cars. The vessel was launched in 1976 and currently operates on the Mediterranean (Italy - Sardinia Island) ferry route Genoa-Olbia (crossing time 10,5 hours).
As cruiseferry, Moby Otta has a total of 400 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, hairdryer). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers).
Moby Otta staterooms are in the following categories:
- Inside Twin (C2, C2G) 2-berth, no windows
- Outside Twin (C2E, C2EN, C2EG) 2-berth, porthole window
- Inside Quad (C4, C4G, C4N) 4-berth, no windows
- Outside Quad (C4E, C4EG, C4EN) 4-berth, porthole window
- Outside Twin (J2EM) 2-berth Junior Suite (1 double bed), porthole window
- Moby Lines staterooms categories C2G, C2EG, C4G and C4EG are "Pet Cabins" floored with linoleum.
- MOBY V-Class cabin categories C2V, C2EV, J2EVM, J4EV and S4V are upper deck accommodations that can be booked as VIP packages. Such bookings provide exclusive amenities (radio, phone, flat TV, mini-bar, luxury bath products and accessories) and services (in-cabin dining / breakfast, reserved dining / American breakfast buffet at reserved table in the specialty restaurant). MOBY V-Class staterooms are available for booking in the peak season only (May through October).
- Disabled cabins are not available for online booking (call Moby Lines +49 (0) 611 14020).
The ship's Seating Lounge is equipped with large TV and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining armchairs). Reserved seats are available for booking both online and onboard (at the ship's Reception Desk / subject to availability).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 1 hour prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Moby Otta ship (classed as "Fast Cruise Ferry") offers:
- Accommodation options - passenger cabins, Seating Lounge (standard coach seats and reserved leather recliners).
- Show Lounge is a fore-located piano bar lounge with comfortable seating and stage for live performances (stand-up comedy shows, musical concerts).
- All lounges are fitted with large TVs (satellite reception).
- Dining options - Self-Service Restaurant (buffet-style restaurant, kids menu), A La Carte Restaurant (gourmet cuisine, fine wines, premium desserts), Acme Pizzeria (Looney Tunes-themed pizza bar / self-service), Cafeteria (self-service Snack Bar / patisserie / coffee shop / fast food / drinks), Gelateria (Ice-Cream Shop), Lido Bar (serving the sundeck area).
- Onboard food is prepared with locally-sourced products. Cuisine is traditionally Mediterranean. Buffet restaurant's menu always have several freshly cooked dishes.
- Video Games Room is a teen lounge with arcade machines.
- Children's World is a kids playroom equipped with toys, games, indoor climbers, full-size boat.
- Moby Shopping Center is combined boutique and general store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, clothing, sportswear, toiletries, electronics, toys, books, magazines.
- Sun Deck (Solarium) is an outdoor (open-air) topdeck area with sunloungers, a heated swimming pool (large plunge pool) and Lido Bar (poolside bar serving the sundeck area with drinks and snacks).
- Also on Sun Deck are located the ship's Navigation Bridge (forward) with the adjacent officers quarters.
- Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
- The ship has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
All Moby Line ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Smoking anywhere inside the ship is not allowed. Throughout all Moby ferries can be found Looney Tunes characters and branding via the company's partnership with Warner Bros.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
Moby Lines (founded in 1959, headquartered in Milan Italy) is an Italian ferry company operating on shipping routes that connect mainland Italy and France with the Mediterranean islands Corsica, Elba and Sardinia. Moby Line's current fleet includes the ships Moby Aki, Moby Corse, Moby Dada, Moby Drea, Moby Kiss, Moby Niki, Moby Otta, Moby Tommy, Moby Vincent, Moby Wonder, Moby Zaza, Princess Anastasia.
Moby Otta ferry wiki
The ship entered service for Moby Lines in November 2006. Before that, it was operated under the names Tor Scandinavia (1976-1982, by Tor Line, also 1983-1991), World Wide Expo (1982-1983, by DFDS) and Princess of Scandinavia (1991-2006, by DFDS).
In 1998, the vessel was drydock reffited. Its gross tonnage was increased (15673 to 21545 tons), more cabins were added and the engines were replaced with SEMT Pielstick (owned by MAN Diesel).
In the period November 2006 through May 2007, the vessel was drydock refitted and refurbished. The project resulted in increased car capacity (420 to 500), redesigned cabin decks and increased passenger capacity (1507 to 1900).