Specifications of Moby Legacy ferry
|Year built||2023 new ship|
|Builder||COMEC Guangzhou Shipyard (Nansha-Guangzhou, China)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Livorno-Olbia Sardinia|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||237 m / 778 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||69500 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Owner||Onorato Armatori SpA|
Moby Legacy ferry Review
Review of Moby Legacy ferry
MS Moby Legacy ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel owned and operated by the Italian company MOBY LINES. The ship has a max capacity of 2500 passengers and 1300 cars (or 300 semi-trailers/trucks). The vessel was launched in 2022/inaugurated in 2023 and currently operates on the Mediterranean (Italy - Sardinia Island) ferry route Livorno-Olbia (crossing time 6 hours).
The vessel (IMO number 9837511) will be Italy-flagged (MMSI tba).
For information on the shipbuilding project's history see the ship's Wiki page.
As cruise ferry, Moby Legacy has a total of 550 cabins, all of which are "cruise ship standard" - spacious, contemporary furnished, air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, washbasin, hairdryer). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers).
Moby Legacy staterooms are in the following categories:
- Inside Twin (C2) 2-berth, no windows
- Outside Twin (C2E) 2-berth, porthole window
- Inside Quad (C4, C4G) 4-berth, no windows
- Outside Quad (C4E, C4EG) 4-berth, porthole window
- Outside Quad (J4E) 4-berth Junior Suite (1 double bed), porthole window
Moby Lines staterooms categories C2G, C2EG, C4G, and C4EG are "Pet Cabins" floored with linoleum.
Disabled cabins are not available for online booking (call Moby Lines +49 (0) 611 14020).
All cabins (passenger and crew) are located on decks 5, 7, and 10.
The ship's aft-located Reserved Seating Lounge is equipped with large TV and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining armchairs). Reserved seats are available for booking both online and onboard (at Main Deck 3's Reception Desk / subject to availability).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 1 hour prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
Most public spaces are on Deck 9, allowing part of which to be closed during off-season.
The ship's main Galley/kitchen features a transparent glass wall adjacent to the A La Carte Restaurant (portside), allowing passengers to see their food's preparation process. The other main dining venue is the fore-located Buffet Restaurant (self-service). Aft on Deck 9 is the Reserved Seating Lounge.
Deck 10 is dedicated to cabins (passengers and crew).
As facilities, the Moby Legacy ship offers:
- Accommodation options - passenger cabins, Aft Seating Lounge (standard coach seats and reserved leather recliners).
- Show Lounge (fore-located) is a 3-deck high piano bar lounge with comfortable seating and stage for live performances (stand-up comedy shows, musical concerts).
- All lounges are fitted with large TVs (satellite reception).
- Dining options - Self-Service Restaurant (buffet-style restaurant, kids menu), A La Carte Restaurant (gourmet cuisine, fine wines, premium desserts), Acme Pizzeria (Looney Tunes-themed pizza bar / self-service), Cafeteria (self-service Snack Bar / patisserie / coffee shop / fast food / drinks), Gelateria (Ice-Cream Shop), Sports Bar (aft location, sport-themed bar lounge on 2 floors), Lido Bar (serving the sundeck area).
- Onboard food is prepared with locally-sourced products. The cuisine is the traditional Mediterranean. Buffet restaurant's menu always has several freshly cooked dishes.
- Video Games Room is a teen lounge with arcade machines.
- Children's World is a kids playroom equipped with toys, games, indoor climbers, full-size boat.
- Moby Shopping Center is a combined boutique and general store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, clothing, sportswear, toiletries, electronics, toys, books, magazines.
- (deck 9) Sun Deck (Solarium) is an outdoor (open-air) topdeck area with sun loungers, a heated swimming pool (large plunge pool) and Lido Bar (poolside bar serving the sundeck area with drinks and snacks).
- Also on Sun Deck are located the ship's Navigation Bridge (forward, with adjacent officers quarters) and helipad (midship, helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency).
- Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
The ship has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
All Moby Line ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Smoking anywhere inside the ship is not allowed. Looney Tunes characters and branding via the company's partnership with Warner Bros can be found throughout all Moby ferries.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Wheeled cargo decks are four (1, 3, 5, 7) with total freight capacity 1300 cars (300 trucks) and stern access only. Cargo decks are interconnected via fixed internal ramps. Two outer ramps connect to Deck 5 directly. One central ramp connects to Main Deck (deck 3). One starboard ramp (2-lane) connects to Deck 7.
Foot passengers board via stern-located escalators that connect Cargo Deck 3 with upper decks.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Moby Lines (fleet, 1959-founded, headquartered in Milano Italy) is an Italian ferry company operating on shipping routes that connect mainland Italy and France with the Mediterranean islands Corsica, Elba, and Sardinia.
Moby Legacy ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Moby Legacy ferryAdd Photo
Moby Legacy ferry ship related cruise news
Other MOBY LINES cruise ships
Moby Legacy ferry Wiki
In February 2018, MSC Group and MOBY LINES (via Onorato Armatori) signed a shipbuilding contract with the Chinese companies GSI (Guangzhou Shipyard International Co Ltd) and CSTC (China Shipbuilding Trading Co) for 4 new luxury cruise ferries. Each ship has passenger capacity 2500 (536 cabins), cargo/garage capacity 3765 lanemeters (750 cars or 250 trailers), length 230 m (755 ft), beam 32 m (105 ft), speed 24 knots, DWT-Deadweight tonnage 9000 tons, diesel-powered (LNG-ready). The contract included the option for an additional 4 units of the same design. Two of the newbuilds (1st and 3rd) are for GNV, the other two (2nd and 4th) - for MOBY LINES. First ship's delivery (for GNV) was scheduled for 2021. Both Chinese shipbuilders are subsidiaries of the state-owned corporation CSSC (China State Shipbuilding Corporation).
For the design was contracted OSK-ShipTech AS (Kobenhavn Denmark-based subsidiary of OSK Group - a company specializing in maritime design, naval architecture, project development and risk management, vessel optimization). On the sisterships' hulls and superstructure will be displayed Looney Tunes characters instead the traditional for Moby Lines blue whale.
On June 27, 2019, Onorato Armatori signed with GSI-Guangzhou Shipyard (Nansha, China) the order for two cruiseferries. During the signing ceremony (held in Beijing), Onorato Armatori announced that the new cruise ships will replace the fleetmates Moby Aki (2005-built/IMO 9299393) and Moby Freedom (2001-built, IMO 9214379) on the Italy-Sardinia route Livorno-Olbia, with regularly scheduled one roundtrip daily.
The two-ship building contract was financed by ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd) and the Italian company Societa' Fratelli Onorato SNC (jointly owned by the Onorato brothers Achille and Alessandro).
Since the February 2018 announcement, the vessel's design (developed by OSK-ShipTech via the subsidiary Steen Friis Design) was further optimized following tank tests at the Wageningen's facility of MARIN (Maritime Research Institute Netherlands).
- The changes included increased length (from 230 to 237 m / 778 ft), freight capacity 3800 lanemetres, increased number of passenger staterooms (from 536 to 550), 4x wheeled cargo decks (1, 3, 5, 7, with fixed internal ramps/stern access only), 3x cabin decks (7, 8, 10).
- Cargo decks were redesigned to increase freight capacity - from 750 to 1300 cars, and from 250 to 300 trucks. Two outer ramps directly connect to Deck 5. One central ramp accesses Deck 3/Main Deck. One starboard ramp (2-lane) leads to Deck 7. Foot passengers board via stern-located escalators that connect Cargo Deck 3 with upper decks.
- Most public spaces are on Deck 9, allowing part of which to be closed during off-season. The ship's main Galley/kitchen features a transparent glass wall adjacent to the A La Carte Restaurant (portside), allowing passengers to see their food's preparation process. The other main dining venue is the fore-located Buffet Restaurant (self-service). Aft on Deck 9 is the Reserved Seating Lounge. Deck 10 is dedicated for cabins (passengers and crew).
- The ferries are fitted with hybrid scrubbers and are LNG-ready, with a top-deck location reserved for LNG tanks (storing liquefied natural gas).
- The engines (running on ULSD/ultra-low sulfur diesel) produce power output 10,8 MW. The ship's max speed is 25 knots, but the service/cruising speed is 23,5 knots.
In 2015, Onorato Armatori Group (shipowner/company oned by Vincenzo Onorato) acquired TIRRENIA, which joined the sister-brands (also fully-owned by Onorato Armatori) MOBY LINES and TOREMAR (Toscana Regionale Marittima/1975-founded).
On March 25, 2021, Moby Group issued an asset restructuring proposal to the company's creditors that included selling some of the ships, land properties (in Milan and Olbia) as well as Moby's tugboat division that manages 16x vessels/tugs.
- The plan included the sale of three cruiseferries (Moby Aki, Moby Tommy, Moby Wonder), as well as two Ro-Ro ships - Pietro Manunta (1991-built/IMO 8903155) and Giuseppe Sa (1975-built/IMO 7382378).
- Moby Group started to experience financial difficulties in 2019-Q4 due to insufficient liquidity (to cover coupon payments on its bonds) and the EUR 50 million (US$56M) loan amortization payment due in February 2020. Due to the Coronavirus crisis, in 2019-Q1-Q2-Q3 (January through September) the company burned EUR 116 million (US$ 130M) of its cash reserves, leaving cash balance of only EUR 56 million (US$ 63M) and a fully drawn revolving credit facility of EUR 60 million (US$67).
- Eventually, the restructuring plan was rejected by the company's bondholders and creditors.
The sistership Moby Fantasy (yard/hull number 18121002) was launched/floated out from drydock on November 6, 2021, and planned for delivery in July 2022. Moby Legacy (yard/hull number 18121004) was launched on December 1, 2022, and is currently scheduled for delivery in February 2023. The other two units (tbn3 and tbn4) remain on order, with planned deliveries in 2023 (June and October, respectively).