Viking Cruises (Russian River Cruises)
Viking Akun last position
Specifications of Viking Akun
|Year built||1990 / Age: 30|
|Builder||VEB Elbewerften Boizenburg (Rosslau, Germany)|
|Class||USSR Russian cruise ship (Project 302)|
|Ferry route / homeports||St Petersburg-Moscow|
|Owner||North-Western Shipping Company (UCL Holding, Russia)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Russia|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||129 m / 423 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5500 gt|
|Passengers||104 - 210|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||MS Koshevoy, MS Marshal Koshevoy|
Viking Akun Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2022 May 06||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3095|
|2022 May 18||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3095|
|2022 May 30||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2022 Jun 11||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2022 Jun 23||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2022 Jul 05||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2022 Jul 17||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2022 Jul 29||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2022 Aug 10||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2022 Aug 22||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2022 Sep 03||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2022 Sep 15||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2022 Sep 27||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3295|
|2022 Oct 09||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3295|
Viking Akun Review
Review of Viking Akun
Viking Akun (MS Marshal Koshevoy) ship cruises on Volga River in Russia, departing from Moscow and St Petersburg. The northbound and southbound Itineraries allow passengers to explore the treasures of Russia on one of the best large-sized river ships sailing there. This Viking ship is named after Akun - one of the Varangian princes (Vikings by origin) he and his brothers Igor and Rurik travelled from Scandinavia to permanently settle in Kiev and rule the territory together.
The fully refurbished in 2014 Viking Akun is one of the 4 Viking ships in Russia - together with Viking Truvor, Viking Helgi, Viking Ingvar (all 3 were refurbished in 2013). Each of these vessels carries 204 passengers in 102 staterooms. The middle and upper deck staterooms feature private verandas. The accommodations meet European comfort standards and provide hotel-style beds, 26-inch flat TVs, in-room refrigerators. The beautiful public areas and restaurant facilities help make Viking Akun the finest river cruise ship in Russia.
Cabin grades are 6. The total number of cabins is 102, of which 4 Suite, 67 Balcony, 33 with a non-opening window. Next are listed the ship's staterooms as types (categories), numbers and deck location:
- Suites - JS (x2, deck3), AA (x2, deck2)
- Balcony Staterooms - AX (x35, deck3), BX (x32, deck2)
- Deluxe Riverview Staterooms - CX (x8, deck1), DX (x23, deck1), plus 2x Single rooms
- Staterooms offer as standard amenities hotel-style beds (double or twins / sized 2 x 1,6 m or 2 x 0,8 m), 26-inch flat TV (satellite reception, infotainment system), wardrobe, safe (in the closet), mini-refrigerator, direct-dial phone, radio, en-suite bathroom (WC, shower, washbasin, hairdryer, towels, robes, slippers, bath products), mirrored vanity (writing desk with chair), bedside table, bed lights, 220 V power sockets, central air-conditioning (individually / thermostat-controlled heating and ventilation system), premium bedding, modern LED lighting. Ceiling height is 2,2 m.
Main Dining Room is named Neva Restaurant. The ship has the following facilities:
- Panorama Lounge and Bar (observation)
- Atrium lobby (Reception)
- Bar and Library (2 Internet stations)
- Boutique Shop (Russian gifts and souvenirs)
- walk-around Promenade (deck 1)
- Sun Deck (Wheelhouse, Sky Bar, shaded seating area)
- 1 elevator
- Medical Room (Infirmary / Doctor's Office)
Viking River Cruises Russia deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all land tours/excursions, ground transfers, live onboard entertainment and lectures, traditional Russian food and vodka tastings, 24-hour tea/coffee, replenished daily bottled water. To and from the boat (land) transfers and airport meet-and-greet services are included in cruise tour fares only when airfares are purchased through Viking Cruises.
Viking Akun river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative of Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Russia cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Akun cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Akun river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "WATERWAYS OF THE TSARS" are 12-days luxury Volga river cruises from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, and the reverse from Moscow to Saint Petersburg. There are 11 complimentary land tours/excursions and no hotel packages included in the fares. Feature port activities and tours along the route are:
- St Petersburg excursions (Winter Palace, the Hermitage Museum - one of the world's largest and oldest, with a huge and unique collection of arts and antiquities, jewelries, sculptures, traditional Russian ballet performances, Pushkin district excursion, Catherine Palace - the summer residence of the Russian monarchs/"tsars"), St Petersburg bus tour, optional tour to Peterhof Palace (gardens, fountains), St Petersburg departure in early evening (on day 4)
- Neva River cruise and crossing Lake Ladoga (the largest in Europe, on day 5)
- Svir River cruise to Mandrogy (local Vodka Museum, Russian handmade souvenirs. Optional excursions in Mandrogy are themed "banya" (visiting a traditional Russian bathhouse) and "matryoshka" (traditional Russian wooden doll making)
- Cruising along the Russian “Blue Route” (225 km / 139 ml in length)
- Onega Lake cruise (Europe's second largest)
- Kizhi (local Museum of Architecture /outdoor exposition of traditionally built Russian wooden houses, windmills, churches, most of them built without nails))
- Volga-Baltic waterways cruising (370 km / 230 ml long system of small rivers, canals and 7 locks connecting Volga River with Baltic Sea
- Kuzino (Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, Assumption Cathedral, local museum)
- Yaroslavl (a local covered market for food and handmade items)
- Moscow Canal cruise (arrival during lunch time, half-day long tour in Moscow visits Bolshoi Theater, Red Square, St Basil Cathedral, GUM Store, Metro. The second day offers full day long parks and monuments tour, with an optional half-day long excursion to Tretyakov Gallery (fine art museum). Third day Moscow touring visits Kremlin and two cathedrals, with optional Kremlin Armory tour.
- Departures from St Petersburg offer optional 2-night Moscow hotel package. On departures from Moscow, the line offers an optional 3-night Helsinki hotel package (Finland).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there. For other Russia-based ships, you can visit our dedicated to Russian River Cruises hub.
Viking Akun - user reviews and comments
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Akun Wiki
Built as Marshal Koshevoy, Viking Akun is one of Russia's signature "Project 302" river cruise ships.
Dmitriy Furmanov-class Russian river ships
"Dmitriy Furmanov class" (aka "Project 302") are 4 series of Russian river cruise ships built in GDR (Eastern Germany) for USSR (Soviet Union) in the period 1983-1992. The vessel class name honours the Russian writer Dmitriy Andreyevich Furmanov (1891-1926) who also served as Bolshevik commissar (Red Army officer).
These Russian river cruise ships (a total of 27 units) were all produced by VEB Elbewerft Boizenburg and represent an upgraded (larger) version of Project 301 (Vladimir Ilyich-class) riverboats. These ships were used for passenger (cruise) shipping in Northwestern USSR - on the rivers Volga, Belomorkanal, Lake Onega, Volga–Don Canal, Kama and Amur rivers, as well as on Dnieper River (Ukraine), Black Sea (coastal cruising) and Yangtze River (in China). Following the USSR's collapse (1991), all these boats were acquired by private companies (Russian and foreign).
"Project 302" ship technology
"Project 302" ships have the following details:
- LOA length 129 m (423 ft)
- width 17 m (55 ft)
- DWT tonnage 3852 tons
- V-shaped hulls - differ by series as external elements, window shape (rectangular or rounded), wheelhouse headlights
- 5 decks (4 passengers)
- Originally, each boat had capacity 332 passengers and 98 crew, all-outside cabins (1-2-3-bed), 2 restaurants (180 seats plus 80 seats), Cafe Bar (79 seats, with dance floor), 2 bar lounges (common rooms), Cinema (102 seats), Music Hall with Bar (75 seats), Observation Lounge with Bar (75 seats), Sauna Room, Souvenir Shop, Hair Salon, Massage Salon, Library, Hospital (first-aid room), 360-degree Promenade Deck (with outdoor seating / 100 seats, sports area).
- Powerplant includes three marine diesel engines "Viertakt-Dieselmotor " (4-stroke, model 6ЧРН 36/45 / aka ЭГ70-5) each with a turbocharger.
- Propulsion consists of 3 bow thrusters.
- The powerplant consists of 3x diesel engines (4-stroke 6ЧРН 36/45, aka EГ70-5) with turbocharger and total power output 2,2 MW.
- Staterooms are single, double and quads (originally 1-2-3-bed cabins) with en-suite bathrooms.
- After reconstruction, to the ships were introduced larger cabins (including suites) and quads (with 2 upper bunks / wall-mounted Pullman beds).
- All these traditional Russian ships were modernized, completely refurbished and rebuilt for both domestic and foreign river cruise companies. During their multi-million dollar drydock refits, the vessel's passenger capacity was considerably reduced to improve travel comfort and safety.
Project 302 ships
From Project 302's first series are the boats
- Dmitriy Furmanov (1983, Дмитрий Фурманов)
- Akademik Viktor Glushkov (1983, now Igor Stravinsky / Игорь Стравинский)
- Novikov-Priboy (1983, now Sergei Rachmaninov)
- Aleksey Surkov (1984, now Viking Helgi)
- Konstantin Simonov (1984, Константин Симонов)
- Leonid Sobolev (1985, Леонид Соболев)
- Mikhail Sholokhov (1985, Михаил Шолохов)
From Project 302's second series are the boats
- Aleksey Vatchenko (1985, now Ivan Bunin)
- Yuriy Andropov (1986, Юрий Андропов)
- Zosima Shashkov (1986, Зосима Шашков)
- General Vatutin (1986, Генерал Ватутин)
- MS Russ (1987, Русь)
- MS Lenin (1987, Ленин)
- Sergey Kirov (1987, now Viking Truvor)
- Marshal Rybalko (1988, now Zirka Dnipra / Dnieper Princess)
- Marshal Koshevoy (1988, now Viking Akun)
- Georgy Chicherin (1988, Георгий Чичерин)
- Leonid Krasin (1989, Леонид Красин)
- Nikolay Bauman (1989, now Knyazhna Anastasia)
- General Lavrinenkov (1990, Генерал Лавриненков)
- Narkom Pakhomov (1990, now Viking Ingvar)
From Project 302's third series are the boats
- Gleb Krzhizhanovskiy (1990, Глеб Кржижановский)
- Maxim Litvinov (1991, Максим Литвинов)
From Project 302's fourth (last) series are the riverboats
- Taras Shevchenko (September 1991, now TG Shevchenko)
- Konstantin Stanyukovich (October 1991, now Princess Jeannie / Xian Ni) Regal China Cruises
- Arkadiy Gaydar (November 1991, now Princess Sheena / Xian Na) Regal China Cruises
- Aleksandr Grin (December 1991, now Princess Elaine / Xian Ting) Regal China Cruises
- Vladimir Vysotsky (planned, hull built in 1996, launched in 2003 as "Ocean Diva Original")
Viking Akun User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review