Viking Amorella ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Amorella ferry
|Year built||1988 / Age : 31|
|Builder||Brodosplit Shipyard (Split, Croatia)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Turku-Aland (Mariehamn-Langnas)-Stockholm|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||169 m / 554 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||34384 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||Viking Gabriella, Tallink Isabelle, Pearl Seaways, Crown Seaways|
Review of Viking Amorella ferry
MS Viking Amorella ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Finland-based company VIKING LINE. The ship has max capacity of 2480 passengers and 450 cars plus 57 trucks (trailers). The vessel was launched in 1988 and currently operates on the Sweden-Finland ferry route Stockholm-Turku (crossing time 10 hours) via Aland (Mariehamn and Langnas).
As cruiseferry, Viking Amorella has 1946 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, washbasin), flat TV, radio, phone. Suites and Premium cabins additionally offer hairdryer, refrigerator, double bed, double sofabed. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers and people with reduced mobility). Allergy Cabins are with furniture made of non-allergic materials.
Cabins can't be shared - if 2 passengers are booked in a 4-bed cabin, they can't share the remaining 2 free beds with other travelers.
Staff and crew cabins are located on decks 9 and 10. Passenger cabins are graded in the following categories:
- (Deck 2) C4 (Economy), Q4 (Budget)
- (Deck 5) A4 (Seaside Standard), A4R (Seaside Standard Allergy), A8F (Seaside Family), B4 (Inside Standard), B4R (Inside Standard Allergy), B8F (Inside Family), B2P (Inside Piccolo), IP2 (Inside Piccolo), HA3 (Seaside Handicap), HB3 (Inside Handicap)
- (Deck 6) AD2 (Seaside Comfort), BD3 (Inside Comfort), A4 (Seaside Standard), B4 (Inside Standard), B2P (Inside Piccolo)
- (Deck 7) B4 (Inside Standard)
- (Deck 9) Suite, LXA (Seaside Premium Large), LYX (Seaside Premium), BD2 (Inside Comfort), IP2 (Inside Piccolo)
- Family cabins are fitted with 6 beds (2 plus 4).
- Standard cabin door width is 64 cm. Suite and handicap cabin's door width is 89 cm.
- On overnight crossings, for Suite cabins (excluding Mini Suites) Breakfast is included in the ferry ticket price. Breakfast (included for both adults and children) can be delivered via room service (in-cabin dining) or at the onboard restaurants. For en-suite dining must be filled out a room service order form and submited to the Reception (info desk) the evening before. For restaurant dining, Suite passengers must show their cabin key in the venue.
Seaside (oceanview) cabins are with large windows, Inside and Economy-class cabins are without windows. Economy cabins are located on lower decks. Suites and Premium cabins are larger and better equipped. Only Budget cabins lack private bathrooms.
Suites and Seaside Premium staterooms offer additional / bonus amenities and services, including free Wi-Fi, exclusive VIP lounge access, early check-in and early boarding (excluding passengers with car parking) in Stockholm. VIP lounge's amenities include complimentary coffee, tea, bottled water, newspapers, flat TV (satellite reception).
All cabins are non-smoking and in-cabin alcohol consumption is forbidden. Cabin cleaning and sheets changing is done before port arrival. Staterooms are available during the entire crossing (also during cleaning).
Cot beds (for toddlers up to 1 year of age and weight under 10 kg) are also available, as well as bed rails for kids - provided complimentary upon request.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Viking Amorella ship offers:
- (Sextant Deck 6) Sauna, Swimming Pool, Hot Tubs
- (Lobby and Shopping Deck 7) Seaside Cafe (Internet, Coffee and Wine Cafe, Wine Bar in the evenings), Reception (Information Desk, ATM / cash machine), Children's Playroom, Game Room (arcade machines, air hockey tables, claw machine), Pearl Beauty Shop, Tax-Free shop, Seating Lounge (Air Seats)
- (Restaurant deck 8) Viking Buffet Restaurant, Food Garden Restaurant, BBQ House Restaurant (Ella's Steakhouse), Pub, Conference Rooms, Casino, Fun Club
- (Compass Deck 9) Disco Nightclub (lower level), Panorama Bar and Conference, Seating Lounge (Air Seats), Sun Deck (outdoor area)
- (Conference Deck 10) Disco Nightclub (upper level), Panorama Bar and Conference, Conference Rooms, Lobby
- (Deck 11) Navigation Bridge
- On top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- Free wifi and Internet ("Viking Public" and "Public Internet") are available in designated areas - public spaces and passenger cabins, but not on car decks. The technology is based on modern satellite system, but the speeds are still slower land-based WiFi and depending on weather conditions.
- Onboard shops are tax-free and sell brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, designer clothes and accessories, watches, sunglasses, fashion bags, sportswear, kids clothing, confectionery, packaged food and drinks (beers, premium spirits and wines), gourmet sweets, toys, electronics and gadgets, Viking Line logoed merchandise. Among the premium brands available via onboard shopping are Dior, Tiffany, Sensai, Hugo Boss, Marc Jacobs, Lancome, Efva Attling, Calvin Klein, Paco Rabanne, Yves Saint Laurent, Armani, Biotherm, Clinique, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, Norr, Bjorn Axen, Bjorn Borg, LEGO. Shopping promotions and package dicounts are always offered.
- Onboard entartainment is complimentary and includes themed shows with live performances by guest artists - music bands, singers, magicians, Swedish and international celebrities. On themed cruises are presented international cuisine specialties, holiday festivals and tributes to renown artists.
- On all Viking Line ships there is a Casino with Blackjack and Roulette tables, as well as slot machines (throughout the ship). Bingo games are offered on most ferries, with location and schedule listed in the ship's onboard program.
- The nightclub is on 2 decks, featuring modern lighting and design interiors, large dance floor, LED screens, stage for nightly live entertainment (orchestra, guest performers, themed club shows). VIP tables (4-seat) are in a dedicated VIP area designed for private party experiences. VIP tables can be booked after the ship's departure. Table price is inclusive of a bottle of Champagne, strawberries, 20 drink coupons, snacks, olives, nuts.
- The a la carte restaurant serves premium breakfast and a la carte lunch and dinner. The food is prepared with seasonal and locally-sourced ingredients. There is a premium wine list and the menu includes fresh fish, seafood, steaks, vegetarian dishes, kids menu (smaller size dishes).
- The Casual Dining restaurant serves lunch and dinner. The menu includes pizzas, pastas, steaks, hamburgers fresh-made salads, wines, cocktails, desserts, coffee and dessert drinks. Children under 12 dine at 1/2 portions (half priced).
- The Buffet restaurant offers buffet breakfast and a classic Scandinavian smorgasbord (multiple buffet-style hot and cold dishes) and international cuisine in the evening. The buffet meal price is inclusive also of wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee, tea. Alcohol (including premium wines) are at extra charge.
- At the Cafe are also served breakfast, lunch, quick dinner, night snacks. The restaurant has several different food sections for salads, sandwiches, baked food, home-cooked food, desserts, coffee-hot drinks, beverages (soft drinks, beers, wines), Ice-creams, also Take Away station.
- The Bar and Dancing lounge offers nightly trivia quizzes, live band music, karaoke, as well as drinks menu and light food menu (sandwiches, pastries, cakes, fresh-baked buns).
- The Coffee Shop sells specialty coffees and high-quality teas with fressh-baked (on the ship) sweets and salty snacks. In the evenings, the Coffee Shop becomes a wine bar also hosting wine tastings.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Viking Line ferry and cruise deals
Viking Line cruise deals are offered on the following Baltic Sea routes: Helsinki-Stockholm and Helsinki-Tallinn, Turku-Stockholm and Turku-Aland, as well as Aland-Stockholm and Aland-Kapellskar. These are 1-night / 2-day cruises inclusive of 24-hour ferry travel and (optional) 2 evenings on the ship with 1 full day in the port destination.
- For youth group travel, the ferry company has a quota of 100 passengers per cruise (departures Sunday-Wednesday) and 40 passengers per cruise (departures Thursday-Saturday). The group cruise must be organized by the school (or other association), must have an adult group leader (teacher, parent, etc, at least 30 yo) and 1 adult leader per 10 participants.
- Mini cruises (without going ashore and return with the same ferry) are not open for youth group bookings.
- The onboard Conference Center is operated with conference packages inclusive of Inside Cabin (booked at double occupancy), buffet dinner and lunch (with included wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee) and breakfast, as well as coffee and fruits at the conference facilities. Group discounts are offered on all ferry cruises. Additional conference time could be added on hourly rates. Meal packages are not mandatory and can be substituted with pre-booked meals. Conference rates are per person and based on advanced booked meal packages and conference facilities, with required minimum 10 persons (supplement applies to smaller groups). Groups of 250+ passengers receive an additional discount. These rates are not combinable with other special offers or discounts. Supplement applies for the buffet meals on all packages during Christmas (November-December). Rates vary depending on route / ship, and are for roundtrip itineraries only.
- Spa packages are for 2 hours (priced per person) and inclusive of bathrobe and towel. Spa treatments (massages) are from 30 to 50 min. Longer treatments must be booked in advance. For massages are used only high-quality organic products by Comfort Zone Group (Italy). Entrance to the Spa and Wellness Center is at fixed fee pp, but is complimentary when booking a 50-min treatment. Spa Bar sells wine by the glass, fresh smoothies, small snacks. Spa's VIP rooms are with their own whirlpool and sauna, and are bookable for private use.
- Each ship has a dedicated Luggage Room, which is locked 30 min after departure and opened 30 min prior arrival. At the Information Desk are available storage lockers (at fee). Storage boxes (for small bags) are also available. They open via cards (purchased at Information Desk). The card can be saved and recharged (used on several crossings).
- As means of payment, Viking Line accepts bank cards and debit cards (including American Express, Diners Club, Eurocard, Mastercard, VISA, VISA Electron, Maestro), as well as cash (ATMs and cashier service at Information Desk / only banknotes). Travelers checks are not accepted.
Pets on the ship
Guide- and assisting dogs always travel for free and permitted to go anywhere on the ship, including the lounges and restaurants.
- Pet animals are allowed on all regular ferry crossings - exepting cruises.
- Animals are allowed in passenger cabins (not in the beds) only if the owner books the whole cabin. They are not allowed in restaurants (excepting service dogs).
- When outside the cabin, dogs must always leashed. They can be walked only the Sun Deck.
- For each pet there is a fee, which varies by ship / route.
- On short crossings, animals are allowed to stay on car decks, but not left in the vehicles. These animals travel for free.
The engine room and most crew-staff spaces (cabins, mess hall, bar lounge, dining room, brig / jail) are on deck 1-2. Garage decks (for cars, buses, trucks) are decks 3-4-5. Car Deck 4 has a hydraulic platform that when lowered divides it in two (on 2 layers) to double the space for passenger vehicles.
Car decks are closed during the crossing. Visiting garage decks during the voyage is allowed only with the Captain's permission. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Viking Line (founded in 1959, headquartered in Mariehamn, Aland Finland) serves the cargo and passenger shipping traffic between Sweden and Finland (via Aland Islands), Estonia and Poland. Viking Line current fleet includes the ships Amorella, Cinderella, Gabriella, Grace, Mariella, Rosella, XPRS.
Viking Amorella ferry wiki
The vessel was ordered on February 3, 1986 by SF Line (now VIKING LINE). The ship was floated out on July 18, 1987, delivered to SF Line on September 28, 1988 and started its maiden crossing on October 14.
Ship's powerplant includes 4x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model 12PC26V-400, total power output 23,8 MW). Propulsion consists of two shaft lines (with fixed pitch propellers) and 3x thrusters (2x bow, 1x stern). Ship's hull is ice-strengthened (classed "1A Super") allowing shipping operations in icy waters without icebreaking vessel assistance. Sisterships are Crown Seaways, Pearl Seaways, Tallink Isabelle, Viking Gabriella.
During its service history (excepting short periods in 1997, 1998, 2002) the ship always served the Turku-Aland-Stockholm route. Originally, the ferry stopped only in Mariehamn, but since July 1999 stops in Aland Islands in both directions - Mariehamn on day crossings and Langnas on night crossings.
In January-February 2018, Viking Amorella and the fleetmate Grace (both deployed on the Turku-Stockholm route) were taken out of service for extensive drydock refits. In response to customer requests, ships' shopping areas were renovated, with more space allocated to fashion products, wines and champagnes. Onboard restaurants were also redesigned and upgraded with new tables. All category A4 cabins were renovated. All Inside cabins for families (category BD3) were equipped with 1 double bed plus 1 single bed (for kids under 12 yo). The old "Tapas and Wine Cafe" was redesigned into the new "Coffee and Wine Cafe" - with updated menu (quality baked food and specialty coffees daily, Afternoon Tea service, and "Wine Bar" in the evenings). Renovations also included all conference rooms.
In January 2017, the shipowner announced Amorella will leave the fleet in 2020. The ship will be sold with the arrival of the new (China-built) ferry scheduled for delivery in 2020 spring.
The shipowner VIKING LINE takes out of service each its cruiseferries once every 2 years (on average) for drydock refurbishments, technical maintenance and equipment upgrades.