Viking Cruises (Russian River Cruises)
Viking Truvor Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Truvor
|Year built||1987 / Age : 32|
|Builder||VEB Elbewerften Boizenburg (Rosslau, Germany)|
|Class||USSR Russian cruise ship (Project 302)|
|Ferry route / homeports||St Petersburg-Moscow|
|Owner||North-Western Shipping Company (UCL Holding, Russia)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Russia|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||129 m / 423 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5500 gt|
|Passengers||104 - 210|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||MS Kirov, MS Sergey Kirov|
Review of Viking Truvor
The Viking Truvor ship cruises on Volga River in Russia, departing from Moscow and St Petersburg. This Viking cruise ship is named after Truvor - a Viking in origin, brother to Sineus and Rurik - the three Varangian princes who founded the dynasty that ruled the Kievan Rus empire. MS Kirov was extensively refitted, refurbished and renamed in 2013.
Cabin grades are 6. The total number of cabins is 102, of which 4 Suite, 67 Balcony, 33 with a non-opening window. Next are listed the ship's staterooms as types (categories), numbers and deck location:
- Suites - JS (x2, deck3), AA (x2, deck2)
- Balcony Staterooms - AX (x35, deck3), BX (x32, deck2)
- Deluxe Riverview Staterooms - CX (x8, deck1), DX (x23, deck1), plus 2x Single rooms
- Staterooms offer as standard amenities hotel-style beds (double or twins / sized 2 x 1,6 m or 2 x 0,8 m), 26-inch flat TV (satellite reception, infotainment system), wardrobe, safe (in the closet), mini-refrigerator, direct-dial phone, radio, en-suite bathroom (WC, shower, washbasin, hairdryer, towels, robes, slippers, bath products), mirrored vanity (writing desk with chair), bedside table, bed lights, 220 V power sockets, central air-conditioning (individually / thermostat-controlled heating and ventilation system), premium bedding, modern LED lighting. Ceiling height is 2,2 m.
Main Dining Room is named Neva Restaurant. The ship has the following facilities:
- Panorama Lounge and Bar (observation)
- Atrium lobby (Reception)
- Bar and Library (2 Internet stations)
- Boutique Shop (Russian gifts and souvenirs)
- walk-around Promenade Deck
- Sun Deck (Wheelhouse, Sky Bar, shaded seating area)
- 1 elevator
- Medical Room (Infirmary / Doctor's Office)
Viking River Cruises Russia deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all land tours/excursions, ground transfers, live onboard entertainment and lectures, traditional Russian food and vodka tastings, 24-hour tea/coffee, replenished daily bottled water. To and from the boat (land) transfers and airport meet-and-greet services are included in cruise tour fares only when airfares are purchased through Viking Cruises.
Viking Truvor river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative of Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Russia cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Truvor's Volga cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Truvor river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "WATERWAYS OF THE TSARS" are 12-days luxury Volga river cruises from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, and the reverse from Moscow to Saint Petersburg. There are 11 complimentary land tours/excursions and no hotel packages included in the fares. Feature port activities and tours along the route are:
- St Petersburg excursions (Winter Palace, the Hermitage Museum - one of the world's largest and oldest, with a huge and unique collection of arts and antiquities, jewelries, sculptures, traditional Russian ballet performances, Pushkin district excursion, Catherine Palace - the summer residence of the Russian monarchs/"tsars"), St Petersburg bus tour, optional tour to Peterhof Palace (gardens, fountains), St Petersburg departure in early evening (on day 4)
- Neva River cruise and crossing Lake Ladoga (the largest in Europe, on day 5)
- Svir River cruise to Mandrogy (local Vodka Museum, Russian handmade souvenirs. Optional excursions in Mandrogy are themed "banya" (visiting a traditional Russian bathhouse) and "matryoshka" (traditional Russian wooden doll making)
- Cruising along the Russian “Blue Route” (225 km / 139 ml in length)
- Onega Lake cruise (Europe's second largest)
- Kizhi (local Museum of Architecture /outdoor exposition of traditionally built Russian wooden houses, windmills, churches, most of them built without nails))
- Volga-Baltic waterways cruising (370 km / 230 ml long system of small rivers, canals and 7 locks connecting Volga River with Baltic Sea
- Kuzino (Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, Assumption Cathedral, local museum)
- Yaroslavl (a local covered market for food and handmade items)
- Moscow Canal cruise (arrival during lunch time, half-day long tour in Moscow visits Bolshoi Theater, Red Square, St Basil Cathedral, GUM Store, Metro. The second day offers full day long parks and monuments tour, with an optional half-day long excursion to Tretyakov Gallery (fine art museum). Third day Moscow touring visits Kremlin and two cathedrals, with optional Kremlin Armory tour.
- Departures from St Petersburg offer optional 2-night Moscow hotel package. On departures from Moscow, the line offers an optional 3-night Helsinki hotel package (Finland).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there. For other Russia-based ships, you can visit our dedicated to Russian River Cruises hub.
Viking Truvor - user reviews and comments
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Truvor Wiki
Built as Sergey Kirov, Viking Truvor is one of Russia's signature "Project 302" river cruise ships.
Dmitriy Furmanov-class Russian river ships
"Dmitriy Furmanov class" (aka "Project 302") are 4 series of Russian river cruise ships built in GDR (Eastern Germany) for USSR (Soviet Union) in the period 1983-1992. The vessel class name honours the Russian writer Dmitriy Andreyevich Furmanov (1891-1926) who also served as Bolshevik commissar (Red Army officer).
These Russian river cruise ships (a total of 27 units) were all produced by VEB Elbewerft Boizenburg and represent an upgraded (larger) version of Project 301 (Vladimir Ilyich-class) riverboats. These ships were used for passenger (cruise) shipping in Northwestern USSR - on the rivers Volga, Belomorkanal, Lake Onega, Volga–Don Canal, Kama and Amur rivers, as well as on Dnieper River (Ukraine), Black Sea (coastal cruising) and Yangtze River (in China). Following the USSR's collapse (1991), all these boats were acquired by private companies (Russian and foreign).
"Project 302" ship technology
"Project 302" ships have the following details:
- LOA length 129 m (423 ft)
- width 17 m (55 ft)
- DWT tonnage 3852 tons
- V-shaped hulls - differ by series as external elements, window shape (rectangular or rounded), wheelhouse headlights
- 5 decks (4 passengers)
- Originally, each boat had capacity 332 passengers and 98 crew, all-outside cabins (1-2-3-bed), 2 restaurants (180 seats plus 80 seats), Cafe Bar (79 seats, with dance floor), 2 bar lounges (common rooms), Cinema (102 seats), Music Hall with Bar (75 seats), Observation Lounge with Bar (75 seats), Sauna Room, Souvenir Shop, Hair Salon, Massage Salon, Library, Hospital (first-aid room), 360-degree Promenade Deck (with outdoor seating / 100 seats, sports area).
- Powerplant includes three marine diesel engines "Viertakt-Dieselmotor " (4-stroke, model 6ЧРН 36/45 / aka ЭГ70-5) each with a turbocharger.
- Propulsion consists of 3 bow thrusters.
- The powerplant consists of 3x diesel engines (4-stroke 6ЧРН 36/45, aka EГ70-5) with turbocharger and total power output 2,2 MW.
- Staterooms are single, double and quads (originally 1-2-3-bed cabins) with en-suite bathrooms.
- After reconstruction, to the ships were introduced larger cabins (including suites) and quads (with 2 upper bunks / wall-mounted Pullman beds).
- All these traditional Russian ships were modernized, completely refurbished and rebuilt for both domestic and foreign river cruise companies. During their multi-million dollar drydock refits, vessel's passenger capacity was considerably reduced to improve travel comfort and safety.
Project 302 ships
From Project 302's first series are the boats
- Dmitriy Furmanov (1983, Дмитрий Фурманов)
- Akademik Viktor Glushkov (1983, now Igor Stravinsky / Игорь Стравинский)
- Novikov-Priboy (1983, now Sergei Rachmaninov)
- Aleksey Surkov (1984, now Viking Helgi)
- Konstantin Simonov (1984, Константин Симонов)
- Leonid Sobolev (1985, Леонид Соболев)
- Mikhail Sholokhov (1985, Михаил Шолохов)
From Project 302's second series are the boats
- Aleksey Vatchenko (1985, now Ivan Bunin)
- Yuriy Andropov (1986, Юрий Андропов)
- Zosima Shashkov (1986, Зосима Шашков)
- General Vatutin (1986, Генерал Ватутин)
- MS Russ (1987, Русь)
- MS Lenin (1987, Ленин)
- Sergey Kirov (1987, now Viking Truvor)
- Marshal Rybalko (1988, now Zirka Dnipra / Dnieper Princess)
- Marshal Koshevoy (1988, now Viking Akun)
- Georgy Chicherin (1988, Георгий Чичерин)
- Leonid Krasin (1989, Леонид Красин)
- Nikolay Bauman (1989, now Knyazhna Anastasia)
- General Lavrinenkov (1990, Генерал Лавриненков)
- Narkom Pakhomov (1990, now Viking Ingvar)
From Project 302's third series are the boats
- Gleb Krzhizhanovskiy (1990, Глеб Кржижановский)
- Maxim Litvinov (1991, Максим Литвинов)
From Project 302's fourth (last) series are the riverboats
- Taras Shevchenko (September 1991, now TG Shevchenko)
- Konstantin Stanyukovich (October 1991, now Princess Jeannie / Xian Ni) Regal China Cruises
- Arkadiy Gaydar (November 1991, now Princess Sheena / Xian Na) Regal China Cruises
- Aleksandr Grin (December 1991, now Princess Elaine / Xian Ting) Regal China Cruises
- Vladimir Vysotsky (planned, hull built in 1996, launched in 2003 as "Ocean Diva Original")
Viking Truvor Itineraries
The below listed Viking Truvor cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Russian River Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 May 05||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3045|
|2020 May 17||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$6845|
|2020 May 29||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3895|
|2020 Jun 10||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$4195|
|2020 Jun 22||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3895|
|2020 Jul 04||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3995|
|2020 Jul 16||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3995|
|2020 Jul 28||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3995|
|2020 Aug 09||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3995|
|2020 Aug 21||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3995|
|2020 Sep 02||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3545|
|2020 Sep 14||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3545|
|2020 Sep 26||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$4245|
|2020 Oct 08||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3245|
|2021 May 04||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3095|
|2021 May 16||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3095|
|2021 May 28||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2021 Jun 09||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2021 Jun 21||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2021 Jul 03||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2021 Jul 15||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2021 Jul 27||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2021 Aug 08||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2021 Aug 20||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2021 Sep 01||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3645|
|2021 Sep 13||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3645|
|2021 Sep 25||12 days, one-way from Saint Petersburg to Moscow||Saint Petersburg||$3295|
|2021 Oct 07||12 days, one-way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg||Moscow||$3295|
Viking Truvor User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review