Avalon Waterways fleet
Review of Avalon Waterways
Here we list all Avalon river cruises 2016-2017 ship itineraries, destinations and ports of departure information. We have all Avalon cruise ships schedules (sail calendar with dates and prices PP). Another feature is the Avalon Waterways ships tracking service integrated in each page. This feature shows on a map the ship's location now (current position on the river). The Avalon Waterways cruise company was founded in 2004 and is a brand name owned by Group Voyagers, Inc (also known simply as "Globus/family of brands" and "Globus Travel Group"). The Avalon line's headquarters (as part of the Globus family) are in USA (Littleton, Colorado).
Avalon River Cruises
Avalon Waterways river cruise line offers exceptional personalised services, with experience in guided vacations and cruising itineraries of over 80 years. Avalon travel experts are constantly thinking of their passengers and always put them first. Refined elegance and attention to every detail are the trade mark of Avalon state-of-the-art ships. The company uses small ships, and their guests do receive personalised service in absolutely no crowd. Avalon makes it easy to enjoy the beauty of destinations, as they include the guided sightseeing tours and shore excursions in cruise fares. With VIP access to magnetic popular sites, travelers spend less time for waiting in lines and have more time for immersing in the natural beauty of destination and local culture. The Avalon river cruises' onboard experience features remarkable cuisine, all English-speaking attentive crew and the traditional all inclusive fares - all meals, activities, and the Wi-Fi/Internet access are complimentary - along with many other stuff. Avalon river cruises in Europe last from 5 to 27 days, and include seasonal interesting and exciting themes based on European music, tulip time and wine provinces. All Avalon river ships feature a quiet propulsion system and outside accommodations - among the largest of the river fleets. Avalon staterooms are relaxing and comfortable, with floor-to-ceiling glass doors, satellite TV, hotel-quality beds, bathrooms with full-sized showers, and even private balconies. The expansive sun decks, modern fitness equipment and beauty salons are another extra. Each Avalon Waterways ship features a relaxing Main Lounge with exciting panoramic river views, an intimate dining room and Internet workstation area. Complimentary regional wines, soft drinks and beer are offered during dinner and lunch. Expert tour directors present educational background: language, culture, even China art lessons, a specialist Egyptologist, lectures on wildlife and natural history of the Galapagos Islands - a plus for all Avalon inquisitive passengers. The line is also one of a few to provide multiple dining options on many vessels, and one of the first to allow her guests go online and purchase optional excursions, pre-purchase drink packages and pre-reserve tours, using the web-based service MyAvalon.
Many of you have heard about the unprecedented expansion of the Avalon Waterways fleet of luxury river cruise ships in the last years (you can see in the list below there's at least one new ship each year), but not so many know why this is so. The reason for the great number of new build ships is the Globus company. Founded in the distant 1928, this worldwide group of companies manages more than 30 businesses in the fields of tourism and aviation, offering annually over 10000 departures on over 300 unique itineraries. This is the business of the world's largest tour operator, operating in nearly 70 countries on 6 continents and servicing more than half a million passengers per year with a huge variety of escorted tours, all kinds of river cruise packages, and also selling independent travel package deals.
- Types of Avalon river cruise deals as destinations and countries: Europe (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Holland, Hungary, France, Germany, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland), North American (USA) Waterways (Mississippi River), Asia (China/Yangtze, and Cambodia & Vietnam/Mekong Delta), Africa (Egypt/Nile & Lake Nasser) and South America (the Galapagos Islands, Amazon River).
- Itineraries as length range from 4-day mini breaks up to 24 days, also offering "wine-themed" river tours. Guests can choose from more than 100 Avalon cruise packages (including "land and cruise" packages).
- Innovation and technology - in 2011, Avalon introduced the Panorama ship - the industry's first Suite-class river ship. On all Avalon river cruise suite ships about 80% of all rooms are in the suite category featuring sizes of 1/3 larger than the industry's average and slide-opening wall-to-wall & floor-to-ceiling panoramic windows, beds facing the window for an absolutely unique river cruising experience. Another feature of the ships' designs is the SDS "Silent Drive System" providing a quieter and smoother ride. Other most pleasant features of the Avalon's newest ships are their contemporary decor, surprisingly spacious public areas with a lot of woodwork, polished metal and glass, designer lighting, completely non-smoking interior.
- Luxury river cruise all-Inclusive deals - all shore excursions & guided tours, food and beverages (including locally sourced selection of wines and 24hr tea/coffee/cake/cookies self-service station) and the superior service are included in the cruise fares.
- 5-star luxury hotel room amenities - plus premium bedding, complimentary WiFi access, Sky Deck (Jacuzzi, premium loungers), Hair Salon, Fitness, well-stocked library. Guest in the Royal Suite category also enjoy in-suite complimentary iPads.
- Cuisine & food experience - an open seating dining, buffet-style breakfast, lunch buffets (2 hot dishes, soups, salads, various bread and dessert choices), 4-course dinners, complimentary wine with lunch & dinner, 5-course welcome dinners and "chef tastings". These are non-smoking ships, with the exception of those sailing in China and Egypt.
- Shipboard entertainment - stylish bars and lounges, after dinner piano music and classy performances by local musicians, special events, movie nights, beer&wine tastings, a great on-board enrichment program (by lectures focused on the itinerary/region), expert tour directors.
- Clientele/passengers (statistics on Avalon ships in Europe) - well-traveled, most of them 55+ in age, mostly English speaking. The majority of guests are retired Americans (~60%), Australians (~25%), also from Canada (~10%) and UK (~5%). Hotel staff consists of mostly Eastern Europeans.
Follows a list of external links (opening in new tabs) to:
- parent company's website GlobusAndCosmos.com
- ship building company - NeptunWerft.de
- Avalon Waterways deck plans and cabins at CruiseShipDeckPlan.Com
The following YouTube video reviews the Avalon Waterways Asia cruises - Vietnam (Mekong River) itineraries. The following YouTube video is a review of the Avalon Waterways "Suite Ships" cabins.
Avalon Waterways cruise price Inclusions
All meals onboard are included in your fares (meals at breakfast, lunch, dinner). Also included are:
- Captain’s welcome & farewell parties (sparkling wine, canapes)
- Welcome Aboard dinner, Farewell dinner
- (daily) Afternoon Tea, Night Fare (served at 10:30 pm)
- Local destination chef dinner
- Meals and complimentary drinks (daily) - breakfast (sparkling wine-juices, made-to-order egg station), lunch (soft drinks), dinner (regional wines, beer, soda, choice of appetizers-entrees-desserts-cheese).
- Staterooms amenities - 2 twin beds that convert to queen-size, 3-door ample closets (shelved), 1 private bathroom (with glass-door separation shower), a hairdryer, complimentary bathrobes & slippers, cozy sofa, a coffee table, a flat TV (satellite), a vanity desk, individual room climate control, direct-dial phone, mini fridge, personal safe, deluxe pillow menu (soft/hard), 1,5L complimentary bottled water. Standard occupancy in all staterooms is 2 guests.
- Other features - panoramic windows, contemporary design of public spaces, headsets (shore tours), premium coffees-cappuccinos-lattes, coffee self-serve station, a lounge for premium spirits, modern fitness center, premium bedding (BedsSM), luxury bath amenities (L'Occitane), early- & late-riser breakfast, full buffet breakfast, Al fresco lunches (Sky Bistro), regional food recipes, 4-course dinners (open seating), English-speaking crew, non-smoking environment, large modern bathrooms (showers are with sliding glass doors), flat TVs (satellite), 3-door closets. Alternative dinners with regional specialties are served at the Panorama Bistro (on the newest "Suite Ships"), complimentary maps and Nordic walking sticks (on tours).
Avalon Waterways cruise prices also Include city tours and excursions (with local guide), but these visits and their features are subject to change (a substitute will be offered). All Avalon cruise rates in our articles are per passenger (double occupancy, airfare not included). On some of the Avalon cruises mid-vacation flights are required.
Avalon river cruises Europe, Asia, USA hotel package deals
Note: Avalon river cruise deals are also inclusive of premium hotel stays (included in the ticket's price).
- Avalon Waterways Europe hotel deals - Vienna (InterContinental), Budapest (InterContinental), Prague (InterContinental or Hilton), Paris (Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe, and Pullman Paris Montparnasse), Cote d’Azur (Fairmont Monte Carlo), Munich (Sofitel Munich Bayerpost), Cote d’Azur (Fairmont Monte Carlo), Bucharest (Athenee Palace Hilton).
- Avalon Waterways Asia hotel deals - Thailand/Bangkok (InterContinental Bangkok), Cambodia/Siem Reap (Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa), Vietnam/Ho Chi Minh City (InterContinental Asiana Saigon). Avalon hotel partnerships in China/Tibet - Shanghai (Fairmont Peace), Xi’an (Hilton), Beijing (Fairmont), Chengdu (Shangri-La Hotel), Lijiang (Crowne Plaza), Lhasa (Sheraton - Four Points).
- Avalon Waterways USA hotel deals - Chicago (Palmer House Hilton), Springfield (Hilton), Nashville (Opryland Hotel), Memphis (The Peabody Memphis) and New Orleans (Hilton New Orleans Riverside).
- Avalon Waterways Amazon River (Peru, South America) hotel deals - Lima (Casa Andina Miraflores), Sacred Valley (Casa Andina Sacred Valley), Machu Picchu (Sumaq Hotel) and Cusco (Casa Andina Cusco).
- Avalon Waterways Galapagos Islands (Equador, South America) hotel deals - Quito (Swissotel Quito), Galapagos (Finch Bay Hotel).
- Avalon Waterways Egypt (Nile River) tours hotel deals - Cairo (Oberoi Mena House, and Fairmont Heliopolis), Alexandria (Helnan Palestine).
If some water level problems occur, or any technical problems, Avalon Waterways may operate the itinerary by motor-coach or to change the entire cruise program. Check the visa requirements with your travel agent - visas are clients responsibility.
Itinerary of Avalon Waterways
Here are the shortcuts to all the Avalon Waterways river cruise line ships. The company operates a young fleet of mostly European riverboats aimed at North American, Australian and New Zealand passengers in their 50s or older. Avalon river cruises deals as itineraries and destinations extend to the Egypt’s Nile River and China’s Yangtze River - from Hong Kong and Tibet to Ulaanbaatar. Avalon Waterways also operate the Galapagos Islands destination. In this section you will find all their ships, itinerary information, complete sailing schedules with dates and prices to compare.
As an alternative to owning river cruise ships, Avalon leases them. The company makes partnerships with cruise ship companies that have operational ships in a particular destination and brand 1 or more boats as Avalon Waterways. The line charters these boats for up to 5 years, with the option to refurbish them or give them back to the owner. This way Avalon easily maintain one of the youngest and most modern fleets on this market. In the list below, the newest Avalon "Suite Ships" are starred (*). All "Suite Ships" are scheduled to sail on Danube, Main and Rhine river cruises in Europe.
- Avalon Affinity (launched 2009) - Rhine, Danube, Main and Moselle Rivers - Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland, Slovakia
- Avalon Angkor (launched 2012) - Mekong River - Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia. Since 2015 the ship operates as "Angkor Pandaw".
- Avalon Artistry 2 (launched 2013*) - Rhine River - Holland, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Switzerland
- Avalon Creativity (launched 2009) - Saone, Seine and Rhone Rivers - France
- Avalon Expression (launched 2013*) - Danube River - The Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland, Slovakia
- Avalon Felicity (launched 2010) - Rhine River - The Holland, Switzerland, Germany
- Avalon Illumination (launched 2014*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers - Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey
- Avalon Imagery (launched 2016*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers
- Avalon Impression (launched 2014*) - Danube River - Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia
- Avalon Luminary (launched 2010) - Danube, Main, Rhine and Moselle Rivers - The Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey
- Avalon Myanmar (launched 2015) - Irrawaddy river - Burma
- Avalon Panorama (launched 2010*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers - The Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia
- Avalon Passion (launched 2016*) - Danube, Main, Rhine, Holland, Black Sea
- Avalon Poetry 2 (launched 2014*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers - Holland, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland
- Avalon Scenery (launched 2008) - Rhone, Seine and Saone Rivers - France
- Avalon Siem Reap (launched 2015) - Mekong River - Cambodia and Vietnam
- Avalon Tapestry 2 (launched 2015*) - France (on Seine River leaving from Paris)
- Avalon Tranquility 2 (launched 2015*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers
- Avalon Visionary (launched 2012*) - Danube and Rhine Rivers - Holland, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Switzerland
- Avalon Vista (launched 2012*) - Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers - The Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia
- Century Legend and Century Paragon offer Yangtze River cruises in China. Both ships are privately-owned and operated by Viking under charter. These riverboats are also chartered by other major European lines, like AmaWaterways, Viking and Uniwold.
- American Queen steamboat (launched 1996) offers Mississippi River cruises in USA. The riverboat is operated under charter - via a partnership with the "American Queen Steamboat Company".
- Aria houseboat (launched 2010) offers Amazon River cruises in Peru (South America). The boat is chartered from Aqua Expeditions.
- Kasr Ibrim (launched 1997) offers Lake Nasser cruises on Nile River in Egypt. The ship is operated under charter.
- Sonesta St George (launched 2011) offers Nile River) cruises in Egypt, and is also operated under charter.
Avalon cruise tracker
Our Avalon cruise ship tracker is a function integrated into all Avalon river cruise review pages. At page-bottom in each page you'll find a map with the boat's current location (AIS position). All the real-time tracking data is provided by VesselFinder. It's all about convenience - you will find where is your Avalon Waterways ship cruising today and right now along its current itinerary - in realtime!
Enjoy the luxury travel cruising on your Avalon Waterways vacations!
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All river passenger shipping line companies and their fleets are listed there.
Avalon Waterways related cruise news
A Littleton cruise company offering high-end river sailings on 4 continents was sued by the mother of 17-year-old girl. The teenager was...December 30, 2016
River cruise line Avalon Waterways offered ship godmother and Olympic rower Katherine Grainger a free cruise after her silver medal win in Rio...August 12, 2016
Avalon Waterways will debut the new Avalon Imagery II on the Rhine and Avalon Passion on the Danube, as well as offer two new itineraries in...March 30, 2015
- show more news