BRITTANY FERRIES (Ferries)
Cap Finistere ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Cap Finistere ferry
|Year built||2001 / Age : 17|
|Builder||(HDW) Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (Kiel, Germany)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Roscoff-(Bilbao)-(Santander)|
|Building cost||EUR 82 million|
|Speed||28 kn / 52 kph / 32 mph|
|Length (LOA)||204 m / 669 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||32728 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Superfast V|
Review of Cap Finistere ferry
MV Cap Finistere ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 1608 passengers and 712 cars. The vessel was launched in 2001 and currently operates on the UK-Spain ferry routes Portsmouth-Santander (crossing time 24 hours) and Portsmouth-(Roscoff)-Bilbao (crossing time 24-36 hours).
As cruiseferry, Cap Finistere has a total of 258 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories (numbers) are 4-berth Outside (84), 4-berth Inside (68), 4 berth pet friendly (17), 2-berth de luxe (8), 2-berth "Finistere" club (14), 2-berth Outside (39), 2-berth Inside (26), wheelchair-accessible (2). Also available are 10 cots.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Cap Finistere ship offers:
- Restaurant du Port (a la carte restaurant, French cuisine, fine wines, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Le Cafe Salad Bar (outdoor / open-air poolside bar on deck 10 - salads, hot snacks, pasta, burgers, pizzas, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- Le Petit Marche (on deck 7 - bistro / self-service mini market for light bites, sandwiches, salads, soups, snacks, cakes, healthy food)
- Planets Bar (on decks 8 and 9 - aft-located outdoor bar on 2 levels, offers French wines, cocktails, beers, hot / cold drinks, snacks)
- Belle View Bar (outdoor / open-air bar on deck 9 aft)
- Cap Finistere Bar (deck 7 - the ship's main bar lounge)
- Drivers Lounge (deck 7)
- Movie Lounge (on deck 8) - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk (deck 7)
- kids playroom (on deck 10, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Spa treatment rooms (deck 7)
- Outdoor heated swimming pool and kids splash pool (deck 10, open May through September)
- Chance Planet (deck 8, casino / gambling lounge with slot machines)
- plenty of outdoor deck space, including Promenade Deck (deck 10)
- 2 Dog exercise areas (deck 10), Kennels (deck 9)
- Le Boutique (shop on deck 7 - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (deck 7, next to Information Desk / Reception)
- disabled toilets
- The ship has 3 elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
BRITTANY FERRIES cruise deals
The company offers regularly scheduled ferry services between England and France (travel time on cruise ferries 3-4 hours) and between France and Spain (travel time 20-36 hours). The high-speed UK-France service allows the ships to successfully target the UK's "mini cruise" and holiday travel markets.
As on cruise vessels, all BRITTANY FERRIES ships offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Cruise accommodations range from 2-bed "Inside Cabin" to "Commodore Suite" (with in-cabin dining / Afternoon Tea and Breakfast service). Some suites are with private balconies.
Onboard food is predominantly French cuisine and prepared by French chefs. All ships have a la carte priced restaurants, self-service cafeteria, selection of bars, live entertainment (singers, magicians, pantomimes for kids), at least one cinema, casino, arcade room, Bureau de Change, baby changing rooms, disabled toilets, Sun Deck areas, free of charge Wi-Fi.
Cruise ferries on France-Spain routes have swimming pools (open during summer months only), as well as kids play areas with supervised activities (during holidays only). Spa treatment rooms on Spain-France cruise ferries offer facials (from ProCare), massages (by certified masseuses), modern massage chairs, pedicure and manicure services (Opi nail varnishes), treatments using skincare products by the French brand "Filorga Professional".
Ships' boutique shops sell at discount prices tobacco and alcohol (budget and premium wines and spirits), as well as luxury brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, watches, sunglasses, souvenirs, toys.
Fun fact is that BRITTANY FERRIES serve annually around 22 tons of langoustines (Norway lobster), 15 tons of smoked salmon, 260 tons of meat, 240,000 English breakfasts, 333,000 litres of beer. By onboard sold perfumes, the company is ranked France's 3rd largest perfume retailer.
- Ferry fares are based on departure dates, routes and time (season).
- GBP 35 deposit is required to secure bookings during peak summer season.
- Summer prices are usually higher. Same goes for the weekends and overnight crossings.
- Departures in the mornings, afternoons and overnights are offered throughout the whole year.
- Overnight France-Spain crossings are 7 in a week.
- Mix and match route deals are also available.
Follows the list of all BRITTANY FERRIES routes with crossing times and frequencies.
- Portsmouth-Caen (6 hours) - 3 daily
- Portsmouth-St Malo (11 hours / overnight) - daily
- Portsmouth-Cherbourg (3 hours) - 10 return (in the period late April - early September)
- Portsmouth-Santander Spain (24 hours / overnight) - 3 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Bilbao Spain (24-36 hours) - 2 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Le Havre (5 hours 30 min) - daily return crossings
- Poole-Cherbourg (4 hours 15 min) - daily return
- Plymouth-Roscoff (6 hours) 2 return
- Plymouth-Santander Spain (20 hours) - direct weekly crossings
- Cork Ireland-Roscoff (14 hours) - weekly, return crossings in the period April-November)
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 7, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven.
Cap Finistere ferry wiki
- The ship was aquired by Brittany Ferries in December 2009 from Attica Group (owner of Superfast Ferries) for EUR 81,5 million. The ferry was delivered to the new owner in February 2010 and renamed "MV Cap Finistère".
- BRITTANY FERRIES route Portsmouth-Bilbao (via Roscoff) was inaugurated on March 27, 2011.
- The ship is powered by four WARTSILA marine diesel engines (model 16ZAV40S) with total power output 46,1 MW.