MS Alexander Pushkin Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Alexander Pushkin
|Year built||1974 / Age : 44|
|Builder||Osterreichische Schiffswerften AG (Korneuburg, Austria)|
|Class||USSR Russian cruise ship (Project Q-040)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Moscow-Kazan-Nizhny Novgorod|
|Owner||Volga Shipping Company (Russia)|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||110 m / 361 ft|
|Beam (width)||15 m / 49 ft|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of MS Alexander Pushkin
MS Alexander Pushkin cruise ship ("теплоход Александр Пушкин" круизный корабль) is a traditional Russian river passenger ship built for the USSR (Soviet Union) in Austria. MS Pushkin cruises on Volga River, departing from Moscow to Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod.
The shipowner Vodohod is Russia's largest river cruise shipping operator. The company was established in 2004 as Volga Shipping Company. After the merger with Volga Flot Tour, Vodohod now operates over 50 cruise ships along the rivers Don, Volga, Kama, Moscow, Volga–Don Canal, Volga-Baltic Waterway and the lakes Ladoga and Onega.
VODOHOD's predecessor - Volga Shipping Company (translated Volzhskoye parokhodstvo / Волжское пароходство) was founded as a Volga steamship transportation company in 1843. In 2011, the company had in operation over 300 passenger and cargo river vessels and carried over 6,7 billion tons of cargoes and over 368,000 passengers on Russia's biggest inland waterways.
Alexander Pushkin cruise itineraries
One of the world's ever largest river cruise ships, Alexander Pushkin's itinerary schedule starts in May and ends in October. During that period, the motorship departs round-trip from Moscow Russia and visits the cities of Kazan, Samara, Elabuga, Plyos, Nijnii Novogorod. The following itineraries are offered (in brackets are shown indicative cruise prices per person, in USD):
- 12-days roundtrip from Moscow (Москва to Казань/Kazan and Самара/Samara) - prices from $820 pp
- 12-days roundtrip from Moscow (Москва to Елабуга/Yelabuga) - prices from $890 pp
- 12-days roundtrip from Moscow (Москва to Казань/Kazan) - prices from $750 pp
- 7-days roundtrip from Moscow (Москва to Плeс/Plyos (Privolzhsk) - prices from $480 pp
- 7-days roundtrip from Moscow (Москва to Нижний Новгород/Nizhny Novgorod) - prices from $570 pp
VODOHOD cruise deals
- Departure port (dock / berth), check-in, boarding and landing times are indicated on company's website (vodohod.com) and on passenger boarding passes. Ship's exact departure time is clarified on the website the day prior departure.
- Kids discount ticket prices are for children up to 14 years of age (14-yo including), the age being fixed on departure day.
- Kids from 2 to 5 years of age (5-yo including) travel free of charge, but without providing additional bed (if there are no free beds in the cabin). Shore excursion are also free of charge.
- Toddlers (kids under 2) travel free of charge, but bed, food and tour services are not provided. Extra beds in staterooms (baby cribs, cots) are not available on the ship.
- TWIN (double cabin) single suppliment rate is 75%.
- Cabin number is provided 7 days prior departure. Reservation of a specific room number costs EUR 50 pp per cruise.
- Ticket prices are inclusive of 3 meals a day. Onboard dining includes Breakfast (buffet style, water in pitchers, tea/ coffee served, drinks - cocoa, milk, juices, hot and cold dishes), Lunch (buffet style, water in pitchers, tea/coffee served) and Dinner (waiter-served) with 1 Starter, 1 Main course (choice of 3 available / meat-fish-vegetarian), 1 Dessert (choice of 2 or fruits).
- On embarkation day and disembarkation day (voyage's end) meal times depend on landing times. If a land tour coincides with a meal time (lunch), passengers are provided with complimentary food at local restaurant (cafe) or given "dry rations".
- Ticket price inclusive onboard events are Welcome Aboard ("bread and salt" ceremony), Welcome Cocktail (complimentary 1 glass of champagne or juice per person), "Tea Ceremony" (tea and traditional pies), "Vodka Show" (blini and vodka tasting), Cocktail Party (once per cruise, complimentary 1 cocktail / out of 3 choices per person), Captain's Dinner (gourmet menu, once per cruise), mulled wine or ice tea (weather-depending / upon returning from excursions), complimentary Coffee Station (coffee, hot water, packed tea, milk, cocoa, cookies, opening times 6am-breakfast, 10-12am, 4-6pm, 9-11pm), 1 bottled water (0.33l pp per day in cabins). Tickets are also inclusive of foreign language speaking guide services, onboard entertainment (language class, singing lessons, live music, nightly dancing music, Wheelhouse tour).
- Complimentary excursions are detailed in the ship's cruise itinerary program. Optional tours are available for shipboard booking. For excursion services, VODOHOD charges foreigners with additional fee per person per day, including children 6-14 yo. This fee is not charged to tourists from Russian Commonwealth, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The surcharge varies by cruisetour itinerary length (1-2-days, 3-4-days, 5-days, 6-days, 7-days).
- VODOHOD cruise tickets don't include any land transfers, beverages and snacks (in onboard bars and lounges), phone conversations, sauna visits, optional excursions, travel insurance, gratuities, personal spendings. Ticket prices include 18% VAT.
- Non-cash onboard payments are made via company's debit card "Vodohod"(received upon registration), which is without any interest or commissions. The card is accepted in all the ship's venues (bars, restaurant, shop, administration). Cash payments for onboard sales are not accepted. International bank cards are accepted for final payments.
- Gift Certificate "Vodohod" (vouchers) can be pre-purchased for any amount. The recipient can choose itinerary, cruise departure date and cabin category. The amount specified is not fixed and is set by the buyer. If the cruisetour costs less than certificate's amount, the difference is not refundable.
- Smoking on the ship is allowed only in designated areas (marked with "Place for smoking" signs), located aft on decks Middle and/or Boat (depending on ship). Smoking is prohibited in all interior spaces and on open decks (except at designated areas).
- On all VODOHOD ships are available health gymnastics and morning exercises (led by a certified physician / ship's doctor), oxygen cocktail, dietary food.
- On all VODOHOD ships are provided (free of charge) the following medical services - emergency medical care (assistance required for sudden acute illnesses, conditions, exacerbation of chronic diseases), measurement of blood pressure and body temperature, primary treatment of wounds.
- VODOHOD reccomends passengers to arrive in departure port cities at least 6 hours prior ship departure. Boarding starts 2 hours prior departure. All passengers must be boarded at least 1 hour prior departure. Late passengers missing their cruisetour are not refunded.
- VODOHOD's departure ports are Moscow, St Petersburg, Astrakhan, Nizhny Novgorod, Perm, Samara, Kazan, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Saratov.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.