MS Mustai Karim Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Mustai Karim
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Krasnoye Sormovo Shipyard (Sormovsky-Nizhny Novgorod, Russia)|
|Class||Russian cruise ship (Project PV300LMPP-110)|
|Ferry route / homeports||St Petersburg-Moscow|
|Building cost||RUB 3,2 billion (USD 57 million / EUR 44 million)|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||141 m / 463 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Pyotr Velikiy (Пётр Великий)|
|Former names||Prince Vladimir (Князь Владимир)|
Review of MS Mustai Karim
MS Mustai Karim cruise ship ("теплоход Мyстай Карим" круизный корабль) is a new-design Russian passenger ship owned by the private Russian shipping company Mosturflot ("Мостурфлот") and operated under charter by Russia's largest cruise company VODOHOD ("Водоход"). The 6-deck newbuilds (the sisterships Mustai Karim and Pyotr Velikiy/Пётр Великий) were both designed and constructed in Russia. Vessel's scheduled launch is in May 2020. This modern Russian riverboat (Project PV300) is currently under construction at the shipyard Krasnoye Sormovo (Nizhny Novgorod Russia).
The cruise vessel is named after Mustai Karim (Mustafa Safich Karimov Bashkir / 1919-2005). He was a Soviet poet and writer from USSR's Bashkir Republic (Russian SFSR) which is now part of the Russian Federation under the name Bashkortostan.
VODOHOD's cruise ship "Project PV300LMPP-110"
At the end of 2016, VODOHOD (Russia's largest passenger shipping company) signed a contract with the Russian shipbuilder USC (United Shipbuilding Corporation) for construction of one PV300 unit. The building contractor is the USC's subsidiary PJSC "Krasnoe Sormovo". The newbuild was planned to be ready for 2020 Volga River navigation season. The cost of the shipbuilding contract was around RUB 3,2 billion (USD 56,8 million).
The project realized by VODOHOD partly resembles the PV300 project, as it was modified to meet the standards of the company's commercial efficiency. The full name of this ship project is PV300LMPP-110. The newbuild is planned to cruise on Volga River (between Moscow and Saint Petersburg, navigation duration up to 5-6 months) and during winter it operates sea cruises navigating between ports in Balck Sea, Caspian Sea and Azov Sea.
VODOHOD increased the ship's passenger capacity from 300 to 342. The boat has a total of 169 staterooms, including 2 Suites, 2 Owner Suites, 2 Junior Suites, 159 Deluxe (Twin Comfort) and 4 Standard Twin cabins. All staterooms are outside (no interior cabins) and with floor-ceiling windows. Standard cabin amenities include wardrobe, electronic safe box (in the closet), flat TV (satellite reception), radio, phone, mini-bar/refrigerator, power sockets (220V), en-suite bathroom (single-sink vanity, toilet, shower, hairdryer, shaver socket, toiletries, towels, bathrobes). All suites are with bathtubs.
The average cabin size is 19 m2 (205 ft2). For comparison, the size of Twin Standard cabins on other Russian river ships is 10 m2 (110 ft2). All cabins on this "river liner" have private balconies. Suites and Junior Suites are sized 30 m2 (320 ft2).
A total of 22 cabin pairs (44 rooms) are connecting. There is also an option for booking a 3-Room Suite (midship-portside on Boat Deck) which is comprised of 3 connecting cabins.
Cabin amenities and shipboard services correspond to 5-star hotel standards.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
Dining onboard features European cuisine sp[ecialties with elements of Russian traditional cooking. Breakfasts are buffet-style. Lunches include 1 meal (Russian soup). Dinner is waiter-served and with a traditional Russian food menu. Waiters are dressed in traditional costumes.
Onboard entertainment is focused on pre-scheduled activities and live performances (classical and Russian folk music). Onboard lectures are themed on the country's history and culture. Port talks (by a professional tour guide) provide information on visited river ports, nearby towns, shore excursions and tours available for booking. Passengers also enjoy traditional Russian tea ceremonies, Russian language lessons, dancing and singing classes, vodka tasting, nesting doll (matryoshka) painting classes.
Ship facilities include:
- 2 restaurants, 2 bar lounges, Pub (Beer Bar)
- Conference Hall, Reading Hall (Library Lounge)
- Show Lounge (Music Hall with dance floor, stage and grand piano for live performances)
- Ironing Room (laundry service), Kids Room, Souvenir Shop
- Sauna, Spa Salon (Hairdresser, Massage Room)
- 3 lifts (passenger elevators), 2 Atriums (each with its own Reception Desk)
- Sun Deck (Solarium with loungers, 10-m long swimming pool, 2 whirlpools/Jacuzzis), Medical Room (Infirmary),
Mustai Karim ship cruises on Volga River with northbound and southbound itineraries - Moscow-Astrakhan and between Moscow and St Petersburg (passing through Onega and Ladoga lakes). The riverboat also operates on the route Moscow-Rostov-on-Don (passing through Volga-Don Canal).
The inaugural cruise was scheduled for May 12, 2020. The 12-day (11-night) itinerary Moscow to St Petersburg visits Moscow (2 overnights), Uglich, Yaroslavl, Goritsy, Kizhi Island (Lake Onega), Mandrogi, and St Petersburg (3 overnights). The reverse St Petersburg to Moscow itinerary has length 11 days (10 nights).
Ashore travel and excursion options include:
- Moscow - airport-to-ship transfer, city tour by bus, visiting Kremlin, restaurant lunch
- Uglich - walking tour, visiting Kremlin, Church of St Dmitry on the Blood, and Transfiguration Cathedral
- Yaroslavl - city tour by bus, visiting an outdoor market (shopping), Church of St Elijah the Prophet, Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Art Gallery tour
- Goritsy - visiting the monastery and the museum of icons
- Kizhi Island - visiting the outdoor museum of Russsian traditional wooden architecture
- Mandrogi Village - outdoor grill / kebab
- St Petersburg - city tour bu bus visits Peter and Paul fortress (1703-built citadel), State Hermitage Museum (art and culture), Peterhof State Museum-Reserve (lower park), ship-to-airport transfer
During winter, when Volga River is closed for navigation, the Mustai Karim ship cruises on Caspian Sea, Azov Sea and Black Sea itineraries.
Shipboard activities include as complimentary events classical music concerts, grand piano concert, show lounge (daily and nightly live music and dancing), Russian traditional tea ceremony (samovar-prepared tea), food tasting party (Vodka and blinis/pancakes), Russian language class, cooking class, yoga with professional fitness instructor, lecture themed on traditional Russian arts and crafts (English- and French-speaking lecturers), talent show (by crew members), cocktail party (for presenting the ship's crew), Q&A session with Russian students, Navigation Bridge / Wheelhouse tour and Engine Room tour.
VODOHOD cruise deals
- Departure port (dock/berth), check-in, boarding and landing times are indicated on the company's website (vodohod.com) and on passengers' boarding passes. Ship's exact departure time is clarified on the website the day prior departure.
- Kids discount ticket prices are for children up to 14 years of age (14-yo including), the age being fixed on departure day.
- Kids from 2 to 5 years of age (5-yo including) travel free of charge, but without providing an additional bed (if there are no free beds in the cabin). Shore excursion is also free of charge.
- Toddlers (kids under 2) travel free of charge, but bed, food and tour services are not provided. Extra beds in staterooms (baby cribs, cots) are not available on the ship.
- TWIN (double cabin) single supplement rate is 75%.
- Cabin number is provided 7 days prior departure. Reservation of a specific room number costs EUR 50 pp per cruise.
- Ticket prices are inclusive of 3 meals a day. Onboard dining includes Breakfast (buffet-style, water in pitchers, tea/ coffee served, drinks - cocoa, milk, juices, hot and cold dishes), Lunch (buffet-style, water in pitchers, tea/coffee served), Dinner (waiter-served) with 1 Starter, 1 Main course (choice of 3 available / meat-fish-vegetarian), 1 Dessert (choice of 2 or fruits), midnight soup.
- On embarkation day and disembarkation day (voyage's end), meal times depend on landing times. If a land tour coincides with a mealtime (lunch), passengers are provided with complimentary food at a local restaurant (cafe) or given "dry rations".
- Ticket price inclusive onboard events are Welcome Aboard ("bread and salt" ceremony), Welcome Cocktail (complimentary 1 glass of champagne or juice per person), "Tea Ceremony" (tea and traditional pies), "Vodka Show" (blini and vodka tasting), Farewell Captain's Cocktail Party (once per cruise, complimentary 1 cocktail / out of 3 choices per person), Captain's Dinner (gourmet menu, once per cruise), mulled wine or ice tea (weather-depending / upon returning from excursions), complimentary Coffee Station (coffee, hot water, packed tea, milk, cocoa, cookies, opening times 6am-breakfast, 10-12am, 4-6pm, 9-11pm), 1 bottled water (0.33l pp per day in cabins). Tickets are also inclusive of foreign language speaking guide services, onboard entertainment (language class, singing lessons, live music, nightly dancing music, Wheelhouse tour).
- Complimentary excursions are detailed in the ship's cruise itinerary program. Optional tours are available for shipboard booking. For excursion services, VODOHOD charges foreigners with an additional fee per person per day, including children 6-14 yo. This fee is not charged to tourists from the Russian Commonwealth, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The surcharge varies by cruisetour itinerary length (1-2-days, 3-4-days, 5-days, 6-days, 7-days).
- VODOHOD cruise tickets don't include any land transfers, beverages and snacks (in onboard bars and lounges), phone conversations, sauna visits, optional excursions, travel insurance, gratuities, personal spendings. Ticket prices include 18% VAT.
- Non-cash onboard payments are made via the company's debit card "Vodohod"(received upon registration), which is without any interest or commissions. The card is accepted in all the ship's venues (bars, restaurant, shop, administration). Cash payments for onboard sales are not accepted. International bank cards are accepted for final payments.
- Gift Certificate "Vodohod" (vouchers) can be pre-purchased for any amount. The recipient can choose an itinerary, cruise departure date and cabin category. The amount specified is not fixed and is set by the buyer. If the cruise tour costs less than the certificate's amount, the difference is not refundable.
- Smoking on the ship is allowed only in designated areas (marked with "Place for smoking" signs), located aft on decks Middle and/or Boat (depending on ship). Smoking is prohibited in all interior spaces and on open decks (except at designated areas).
- On all VODOHOD ships are available health gymnastics and morning exercises (led by a certified physician/ship's doctor), oxygen cocktail, dietary food.
- On all VODOHOD ships are provided (free of charge) the following medical services - emergency medical care (assistance required for sudden acute illnesses, conditions, exacerbation of chronic diseases), measurement of blood pressure and body temperature, primary treatment of wounds.
- VODOHOD recommends passengers to arrive in departure port cities at least 6 hours prior to ship departure. Boarding starts 2 hours prior departure. All passengers must be boarded at least 1-hour prior departure. Late passengers missing their cruise tour are not refunded.
- VODOHOD's departure ports/homeports are Moscow, St Petersburg, Astrakhan, Nizhny Novgorod, Perm, Samara, Kazan, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Saratov.
MS Mustai Karim wiki
In 2017, the companies Vodohod, Krasnoye Sormovo Shipyard and Goznak-Leasing signed a 3-party contract for building and delivery of one Project PV300 unit. Under this agreement, the vessel was built by Krasnoye Sormovo Shipyard (part of USC/United Shipbuilding Corporation) and scheduled for delivery to the customer Goznak-Leasing and the consignee Vodohod by February 1, 2020. Vessel's construction started with the keel-laying ceremony on March 28, 2017. In August 2016, at Lotos Shipyard (fully-owned by USC/United Shipbuilding Corporation) in Astrakhan Russia started the construction of the sistership Pyotr Velikiy.
The PV300 shipbuilding project (management firm MNP Group) stated that these ships can be operated in waterways with waves up to 3 m (10 ft) high, which allows them to operate on Russia's largest inland waterways (rivers and large lakes, like Volga, Neva, Don, Onega, Ladoga), as well as on.Black Sea, Azov Sea and Caspian Sea.
Designed by Marine Engineering Bureau, the liner Mustai Karim is the second (within the PV300 project) built at Russian shipyards - following Pyotr Velikiy. With optional 5 more such units, with the PV300 ships, VODOHOD targets both Russian and foreign customers who consider river cruises in Russia among the best value-for-money travel vacation alternatives in Europe. These premium leisure ships feature modern design and implement the latest marine technologies developed for passenger ships. They also provide top-luxury hotel amenities, the highest level of comfort and superior services (both onboard and ashore).
On August 13, 2019, the cruise liner Mustai Karim was moved out of shipyard's building hall after all the hull works were completed. Followed the launch (float-out from drydock) and sea trials.
Russian cruise ship Project PV300VD
In August 2016, the "Lotos" plant in Astrakhan started the construction of the first Russia-made cruise liner for the past 60 years. It is expected to construct 2 more same-design vessels, following the scheme PV300.
The new Mustai Karim ship has maritime class "river-sea" (река-море) and 5-star level of luxury and comfort. The RSCM (River Shipping Company of Moscow) and affiliated company Mosturflot took part in the development of the vessel's technical plan. "Mosturflot" is the first company to operate the newbuild, featuring the following main characteristics: LOA length 141 m (463 ft), max-width/beam 16,8 m (55 ft), height 16, 2 m (53 ft), max draught 3,2 m (11 ft), passenger capacity 300+, endurance 15 days (fuel) and 10 days (total supplies).
The PV300VD project was developed by Marine Engineering Bureau (Морское Инженерное Бюро in Odessa) in the period 2010-2015. The project was ordered by Russia's "Federal Agency for Sea and Inland Water Transport".
Shipbuilder Krasnoye Sormovo
Krasnoye Sormovo Shipyard is one of Soviet Union's (USSR's) oldest shipbuilding factories. The yard is located in Sormovsk (city district of Nizhny Novgorod). The shipyard was founded in 1849 by the companies "Nizhny Novgorod Machine Factory" and "Volga Steam Navigation".
The shipbuilder started construction of solid metal steamers (steam-powered ships) in 1851 and 3 years later developed screw schooners production. In 1858, Nizhny Novgorod Machine Factory (yeard's original mane) produced Russia's first steam dredger. The first Russian 2-decked steamship (Perevorot) was constructed at the yard in 1871. In 1913, it produced Danilikha - a dry bulk cargo steamship. The factory-built a total of 489 steam-powered vessels in the period 1849-1918. It also produced carriages, steam engines, steam locomotives, bridges, tramcars, diesel engines, pontoons, even cannons and projectiles.
During Russian Civil War (1918-1920), Nizhny Novgorod Machine Factory constructed armored carriages, armored trains and various weapons for ships of the Volga Military Flotilla. During World War 2 (the period between 1941-1945), the renamed shipbuilder Krasnoye Sormovo Factory constructed T-34 tanks. After the war, it switched to large-block and sectional construction of vessels - (ocean and river ships, oil tankers, river dredgers). Krasnoye Sormovo was among USSR's most innovative factories.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
MS Mustai Karim - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS Mustai KarimAdd Photo
MS Mustai Karim ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Russia’s first cruise liner under construction at Lotus Shipyard in Astrakhan is due to be ready for water tests in 2019, President of the USC...November 16, 2018
- show more news
Other Vodohod cruise ships
MS Mustai Karim User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review