Pont Aven ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Pont Aven ferry
|Year built||2004 / Age : 13|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Plymouth-Santander, Portsmouth-Saint Malo-(Santander), Roscoff-Plymouth-(Cork)|
|Building cost||EUR 109 million|
|Speed||27 kn / 50 kph / 31 mph|
|Length (LOA)||184 m / 604 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||41700 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Pont Aven ferry
MV Pont Aven ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 2415 passengers and 600 vehicles. The vessel was launched in 2004 and currently operates on the UK-France, UK-Spain and UK-Ireland ferry routes Plymouth-Santander (crossing time 20 hours), Plymouth-Roscoff (crossing time 6 hours), Roscoff-Cork (crossing time 11 hours), Portsmouth-Saint Malo (winters only, crossing time 11 overnights, 8 days), Portsmouth-Santander (crossing time 24 hours).
As cruiseferry, Pont Aven has a total of 650 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship additionally has 47 reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories (numbers) are 4-berth Outside "Commodore" (18), 4-berth Outside "de luxe" (16), 4-berth Outside "Club cabin" (56), 4-berth Outside (97), 4-berth Inside (158), 2-berth Outside (12), 2-berth Inside (284), wheelchair-accessible (9). Also available are reserved lounge seats (45) and cots (30).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Pont Aven ship offers:
- La Belle Angele (deck 7 - self-service / buffet restaurant, hot and cold meals)
- Le Flora (deck 7, a la carte restaurant with open kitchen)
- Le Cafe du Festival (on deck 7 - sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- Le Grand Pavois (main bar lounge on deck 8 - fine French wines, cocktails, cold / hot drinks, flat TVs)
- Commodore Lounge (aft on deck 8 - exclusive lounge for suite passengers only)
- HGV Drivers Dining Lounge (deck 7 - exclusive lounge restaurant for truck drivers only)
- Le Fastnet (piano bar on deck 7, adjacent to Le Flora Restaurant)
- Les Finistwres (outdoor / open-air poolside bar on deck 9). An unique feature for a ferry ship, Pont Aven has a heated swimming pool (deck 9 midship), with a large-size whirlpool, sunbathing / leisure area and spacious Sun Deck.
- Spa treatment rooms (deck 8)
- 2 cinemas (both on deck 6, combined capacity 90 seats) - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- Kids Playroom (deck 7, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Games Planet (teen lounge on deck 9 - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby Changing Room (deck 7), complimentary Baggage Room (deck 6)
- Chance Planet (deck 8, casino / gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reserved Seating Lounge (deck 9, with reclining / Pullman seats)
- sundeck / outdoor deck space
- Sick Bay (deck 6 - Doctor's Office)
- Les Boutiques (shops on decks 6 and 7 - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (deck 6, next to Information Desk / Reception), disabled toilets
- The ship has 5 elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 6, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven.
Pont Aven ferry wiki
- Pont Aven is the first cruise ferry on the English Channel to feature balcony staterooms (category "Commodore Cabins" located on deck 8). During the ship's 2012 drydock refit, the ferry became also the first on the English Channel with an onboard spa facility.
- During its first year of service, MS Pont Aven experienced a series of technical problems, the most serious of which was the flooding of its auxiliary engine room (August 2004). The accident was caused by faulty valve which left the vessel unable to move and docked in Plymouth for 2 days. Many passengers had to be transferred to BRITTANY FERRIES ships leaving from Poole and Portsmouth.
- On May 22, 2006, the ship sustained damage while en-route from Plymouth to Santander. The accident was caused by a high wave and resulted in several smashed forward windows and several flooded cabins. The ship was diverted to Roscoff where all its passengers were disembarked. On May 26, the ship returned to service.
- On August 18, 2008, while docked in Santander Spain, the bow door failed to open for the vehicles to be offloaded. The ferry had to re-berthed and all cars to reverse off, which resulted in further delays.