Vidanta Cruises (Small Cruise Lines)
14 nights / 15 days, one-way from Port Louis to Colombo
17 Jan, 2018 - 31 Jan, 2018
Vidanta Alegria Review and Specifications
Specifications of Vidanta Alegria
|Year built||1990 / Age : 28|
|Builder||Union Naval de Levante (Valencia, Spain)|
|Building cost||USD 96 million|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||153 m / 502 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||15271 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Crown Monarch, Nautican, Walrus, Jules Verne, Alexander von Humboldt, MV Voyager|
|Christened by||Miranda Krestovnikoff|
Review of Vidanta Alegria
Vidanta Alegria cruise ship (former "MV Voyager") was built in Valencia (Spain) under the name “Crown Monarch”. The vessel's previous owners were Club Cruise, Casino ship, Cunard and All Leisure Holidays Group. Its sister-ship (MV Discovery) was scrapped in 2015.
History - construction & ownership
The 15,396-ton, 550-passenger ship mv Voyager joined Voyages of Discovery in December 2012. The last drydock refurbishment of MV Voyager was in 2012 (at Port Portland UK). Its sister-ship is MV Discovery, the small-sized of Voyager means that the vessel is able to access remote, out of the way ports.
Since All Leisure Group's bankruptcy in 2017, MV Voyager was moved to Cadiz Spain (Navantia shipyard). Following a drydock refurbishment, the cruise vessel re-entered service for its new owner Grupo Vidanta) in spring 2018. Grupo Vidanta is a major leisure property developer (hotel and resort) in Latin America. The company also owns a private international airport (within a Mexican resort property located near Puerto Penasco (Sonora, Mexico). Puerto Penasco is currently developed to become a new cruise port.
Cruise itinerary program
MV Voyager itinerary program was based mostly on cruises in Europe. Longer itineraries visited ports all around the world. The ship used to sail in the Mediterranean and Around Britain (UK, British Isles), as well as to around the world destinations in Africa and Indian Ocean islands, Caribbean, South Asia.
Starting in 2018, Vidanta Alegria ship's itinerary program offers cruises leaving from ports in Mexico and Latin America. The ship could be homeported in Puerto Penasco (currently developed to become a new cruise port). Puerto Penasco is approx 100 km (60 ml) from the Mexico-USA (Arizona) border. The port town is located on the small strip of land linking Baja California Peninsula with mainland Mexico.
The ship has 30 balcony cabins (out of 270) and 87% of all staterooms are outside (with ocean view). Digital media players and flat TVs allow guests in all staterooms to access a large media library with documentaries, classical concerts and movies.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The ship has two restaurants (both with open-seating) and one specialty restaurant (Explorer Club) which requires reservations for dinner.
- Veranda Restaurant offers indoor and al fresco dining (on an open-air terrace). This is the ship's Lido Buffet restaurant aft on deck 7.
- Discovery Restaurant is the ship's main dining room restaurant located midship-aft on deck 5.
- Explorer Grill is an alternative (larger-sized) club restaurant (at fee) located midship-portside on deck 5.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The new features of mv Voyager include Scott’s Lounge, a piano bar that serves cocktails in the evening, the Lookout Lounge with panoramic views from front of the ship and a new terrace added to Veranda Restaurant for al fresco style dining. The new Bridge Club is dual purpose and can also be used for lectures onboard the ship. MV Voyager features a swimming pool (midship), two whirlpools, gym, Beauty Salon.
- (deck 7) Lido Pool and Bar is an outdoor sundeck area for relaxation and sunbathing, featuring a swimming pool and two jacuzzi hot tubs.
- (deck 8) The Bridge Club is a top-deck (aft-located) bar lounge with panoramic views.
- (deck 5) The fore-located Lookout Lounge is the ship's disco nightclub ("dancing lounge") with large dance floor and live band music performances.
- (deck 5) Darwin Lounge is the ship's theater lounge hosting evening shows and daily enrichment and entertainment events, including port talks, lectures and media presentations by guest speakers.
- (deck 5) Scott’s Lounge is a classy cocktail lounge offering live piano performances in the evenings.
The list of shipboard entertainment options includes:
- ART CLASSES (course in watercolour painting) - guests can bring their own equipment and paints. Painting kits are available for newcomers
- CHOIR AT SEA (singing classes led by skilled choirmasters)
- CRAFT WORKSHOPS (including jewelry-making, sewing work, embroidery) led by experienced teachers and with provided kits with everything required,
- DIGITAL WORLD - digital photography, Internet, computer classes led by experienced tutors
- ZUMBA dance classes
Vidanta Alegria wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 12
- Total number of cabins: 270 (of which 35 Suites).
- Dining Rooms: Discovery, Veranda
- Restaurants and food bars: Lido Bar, the Explorer Club (specialty)
- Lounges & Bars: Sunset Club, Scott's Lounge (piano bar), Darwin Lounge, Lookout Lounge
- Sun Deck, Fitness Center, Pool, 2 Hot Tubs, Atlantis Spa, Library, Internet hub, Gift Shop.
- mv Voyager joined the Voyages of Discovery line company in the end of 2012, following a refurbishment in Portland (England, UK). The ship was formerly operated as "MV Alexander von Humboldt" (between 2008–2012), "MV Jules Verne" (between 2007–2008), "MV Walrus" (between 1996–2007), "MV Nautican" (between 1994–1996). The vessel was originally built for Crown Cruise Line as "Crown Monarch" and operated under this name between 1990–1994. After numerous refurbishments, refits and upgrades, today the Voyager cruise ship boasts 87% outside cabins, with 30 of the suites being staterooms with private balconies.
- The ship's last naming ceremony took place at the home-port Portsmouth (South Hampshire, England) on December 4, 2012.
- MV Voyager cruise itineraries are mostly in the Mediterranean Sea (Europe). However, the ship also cruises around the world, visiting ports in Southeast Asia, South Africa, Indian Ocean, Caribbean Sea (incl Panama Canal). Transatlantic cruises are offered on repositioning.
- Since All Leisure Group's bankruptcy (see in "Accidents"), the vessel was moved to Cadiz Spain (Navantia shipyard). Following a drydock refurbishment, the cruise vessel re-entered service for its new owner (Grupo Vidanta, major hotel and resort developer in Latin America) in spring 2018. The itinerary program offers cruises leaving from ports in Mexico and Latin America.
Vidanta Alegria ship related cruise news
What was meant to be the cruise of a lifetime turned into a nightmare for retired Australian couple. The incident invilves a 43-day...January 7, 2017
The mood at the cruising ventures of All Leisure Group is one of uncertainty. There are rumours that at least one, if not two of their ships, could...January 4, 2017
- show more news
Vidanta Alegria Itineraries 2018
The below listed Vidanta Alegria cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Small Cruise Lines fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
20 December 2017 14 nights / 15 days, round-trip Yuletide In South Africa
|21 Dec||Departing from Cape Town, South Africa|
|23 Dec||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|24 Dec 08:00 - 14:00||East London, South Africa|
|26 Dec - 27 Dec||Maputo, Mozambique|
|28 Dec - 29 Dec||Richards Bay, South Africa|
|30 Dec - 31 Dec||Durban, South Africa|
|03 Jan||Arriving in Cape Town, South Africa|
03 January 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Cape Town to Port Louis
|04 Jan||Departing from Cape Town, South Africa|
|06 Jan 08:00 - 19:00||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|08 Jan - 09 Jan||Durban, South Africa|
|10 Jan 06:00 - 18:00||Richards Bay, South Africa|
|13 Jan 08:00 - 14:00||Tolanaro, Fort-Dauphin, Madagascar|
|15 Jan 07:00 - 19:00||Saint-Denis, Reunion Island|
|16 Jan||Arriving in Port Louis, Mauritius Island|
17 January 2018 14 nights / 15 days, one-way from Port Louis to Colombo
|18 Jan||Departing from Port Louis, Mauritius Island|
|21 Jan - 23 Jan||Mahe Island, Victoria, Seychelles|
|23 Jan - 24 Jan||Praslin Island, Seychelles|
|24 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||La Digue Island, Seychelles|
|28 Jan - 29 Jan||Male, Kaafu Atoll, Maldives|
|31 Jan||Arriving in Colombo, Sri Lanka|
01 February 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Colombo to Dubai
|02 Feb||Departing from Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|03 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Tuticorin, Thoothukudi, India|
|04 Feb||Cochin, India|
|07 Feb 07:00 - 14:00||Mormugao, Goa, India|
|08 Feb - 09 Feb||Mumbai, Bombay, India|
|10 Feb 11:00 - 18:00||Porbandar, India|
|13 Feb 12:00 - 20:00||Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|14 Feb||Arriving in Dubai, Port Rashid, UAE|
15 February 2018 16 nights / 17 days, one-way from Dubai to Piraeus
|16 Feb||Departing from Dubai, Port Rashid, UAE|
|17 Feb 07:00 - 14:00||Khasab, Musandam, Oman|
|18 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Muscat, Oman|
|20 Feb 12:00 - 19:00||Salalah, Oman|
|25 Feb - 26 Feb||Safaga, Egypt|
|28 Feb||Suez Canal|
|02 Mar 07:00 - 18:00||Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
|03 Mar||Arriving in Piraeus, Athens, Greece|