MS Junker Jorg Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Junker Jorg
|Year built||1991 / Age : 28|
|Builder||Scheepswerf Kooiman Hoebee BV (Dordrecht, Holland)|
|Operator||Luther Travel Cruises GmbH|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||95 m / 312 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||Viking Fontane, MS Theodor Fontane|
Review of MS Junker Jorg
MS Junker Jorg cruise ship was previously named "Viking Fontane" and "MS Theodor Fontane". The boat cruises on Elbe River, with departures from Germany (Stralsund, Dresden, Hamburg). Currently, the shipowner Scylla AG charters Junker Jorg to the German travel company VIVA Cruises.
For Viking Cruises, the ship operated on Elbe River (Germany and the Czech Republic) departing from Prague and Berlin. The riverboat was named after the German writer Theodor Fontane (1819-1898, novelist and poet).
MS Theodor Fontane was operated by KD (Koln-Düsseldorfer) from 1991 to 2000. In the year 2000, Premicon AG (funds and investment management company, owner of KD) became the main shareholder of Viking River Cruises. Then MS Theodor Fontane, together with the sistership Viking Schumann (now De Amsterdam) were transferred to Viking. In 2010-2011, the boat was completely modernized, and some passenger staterooms were refitted to deluxe French Balcony cabins. Following this drydock refit and refurbishment, boat's name was changed to "Viking Fontane". On some Elbe cruise tours, Viking deals offered roundtrip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
Junker Jorg ship is 112-passenger riverboat designed to cruise Europe's smaller rivers. The intimate vessel has an unusually shallow draft (1 m), meaning that hull's bottom is very flat. The boat has pump jets to minimize the impact of low water levels.
The ship has fore-located Restaurant (main dining room on Lower Deck) and Bar Lounge (on Main Deck), lobby area (on Main Deck, with Reception Desk and Boutique Shop), Sun Deck (with shaded seating area, 4-seat tables, deckchairs, sun loungers, al-fresco dining - brunch, afternoon tea), stair lift (passenger elevator), laundry service, Sauna Room (Deck 1), free Wi-Fi Internet (shipwide).
The ship doesn't have a gym room, jacuzzi, spa, or swimming pool. Onboard languages are English, German and Dutch.
During Fontane ship's USD 2 million drydock refit in 2010-2011, Viking River Cruises added eight 200 ft2 deluxe cabins (now suites) with French balconies - like on the sistership Fontane. The other 48 cabins are smaller, but all outside (with river views). All cabins are fitted with en-suite bathrooms (washbasin, WC, shower, bath products, hairdryer), phone, flat TV, electronic safe box (in the closet), individually controlled air-conditioning.
Currently, Junker Jorg boat has 30 Main Deck cabins (sized 11 m2, with opening windows), 18 Upper Deck cabins (sized 11 m2, with opening windows) and 8 suites (Upper Deck, sized 15 m2, each with double bed and French Balcony).
River Cruise Itineraries
Currently, Junker Jorg ship itineraries are the following cruise routes:
- 8-day roundtrip from Stralsund to Greifswald, Lauterbach, Peenemunde (Usedom Island), Poland (Szczecin, Swinoujscie) and Wolgast
- 8-day one-way from Hamburg to Dresden (and the reverse) visiting Wittenberg, Tangermunde, Magdeburg, Dessau, Wittenberg, Torgau and Meissen.
Viking Fontane cruise itineraries on Elbe River included the following ports and tours along the route:
- "ELEGANT ELBE" are 10-day cruises from Berlin to Prague, and the reverse from Prague to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel (day 1), bus transfer to Potsdam and Magdeburg (day 2, embarkation).
- Day 3 - tour to Dessau, arrival in Wittenberg
- Day 4 - tour in Wittenberg, arrival in Torgau
- Day 5 - arrival in Meissen (before noon) and in Dresden (evening)
- Day 6 - tour in Dresden (overnight dock stay)
- Day 7 - Saxon Switzerland, docks in Bad Schandau.
- Day 8 - arrival in Litomerice (Czech Republic), farewell formal dinner on the boat.
- Day 9 - disembarkation in Melnik, bus transfer to Prague (included city tour and 1-night Prague hotel package), with an optional offer for 2 more hotel nights in Prague.
- Deals on departures from the Czech Republic are inclusive of 1-night luxury Prague hotel package. On Day 2 is the organized city tour (Old Town guided walk), Hradcany, Prague Castle, city lunch. Follows bus transfer to the Viking Fontane boat in Melnik (embarkation, welcome aboard cocktail and dinner on the ship).
- After Magdeburg disembarkation (Day 9) follows bus travel to Potsdam (Sanssouci Palace tour, New Chambers, free time) and transfer to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel package included in the fares. There is an optional package for 2 more nights in Berlin.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
MS Junker Jorg wiki
- Viking Fontane cruise deals were inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), land tours/excursions and bus transfers, onboard enrichment program (live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings), 24-hour coffee/tea corner, replenished daily bottled water. Boat transfers and airport meet-and-greet services were included in fares only when airfares were purchased through Viking Cruises.
- Viking Fontane was also one of the company's oldest riverboats. Current Viking ships on Elbe River are the two 2015-built longships Astrild and Beyla.
- Viking Fontane was launched in 1991 (June 18) under the name "Theodor Fontane" for "Elbe Kreuzfahrten GmbH (Dresden) and operated by the German river cruise company "Koln-Düsseldorfer" (aka KD). KD is fully owned by Premicon AG (funds and investments company). When in 2001 Premicon became the main shareholder of Viking Cruises, Theodor Fontane ship (together with the sistership Clara Schumann (now De Amsterdam) were transferred to Viking River Cruises. In late-2009 early-2010, Theodor Fontane was completely modernized, new deluxe French Balcony cabins were added and the boat was renamed to "Viking Fontane".
- Ship's propulsion ("Schottel") consists of 3 azimuth thrusters "SPJ 80 II", and a bow thruster ("SPJ 57", 220 kW). The riverboat is powered by 3 "Deutz" diesel engines (type AM816, total power output 1200 kW /1630 HP).
MS Junker Jorg - user reviews and comments
Other Scylla Cruises cruise ships
MS Junker Jorg User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review