Scottish Viking ferry current position
Scottish Viking ferry current location is at Baltic Sea (coordinates 58.94058 N / 17.97870 E) cruising en route to Nynashamn. The AIS position was reported 4 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Scottish Viking ferry
|Year built||2009 / Age: 12|
|Builder||Cantiere Navale Visentini (Porto Viro / Venice, Italy)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Nynashamn-Ventspils|
|Owner||Watling Street Ltd|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||26904 gt|
|Sister-ships||Stena Flavia, Etretat, Norman Atlantic|
Scottish Viking ferry Review
Review of Scottish Viking ferry
MS Scottish Viking ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 830 passengers and 200 cars. The vessel was launched in 2009 and currently operates on the Sweden-Latvia ferry route Nynashamn-Ventspils (crossing time 8,5 hours).
As cruise ferry, Scottish Viking has a total of 662 berths in 99 cabins. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The cabins (inside and outside) have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Scottish Viking stateroom categories include:
- 2-berth "Disabled Cabin" / Twin Outside (2 lower beds, Porthole window)
- 2-berth Twin Inside (2 lower beds, no window)
- 2-berth Twin Outside (2 lower beds, Porthole window)
- 4-berth Quad Inside (4 bunk beds / 2 lower + 2 uppers, no window) - categories Unisex, Gents ("Trucker Cabin"), and Ladies
- 4-berth Quad Outside (4 bunk beds / 2 lower + 2 uppers, Picture window) - categories Unisex, Gents, and Ladies
- 4-berth "Family Cabin" Quad Outside (4 bunk beds / 2 lower + 2 upper / 2 adults + 2 kids, Porthole window)
All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, LCD TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge (total capacity 95 seats - Public Room / 60 seats, and Silent Room / 35 seats). Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Scottish Viking ship offers:
- Free Flow Restaurant (self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewellery, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM/cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large flat TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines are available (ATM by GWK Travelex) located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for cancelling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets travelling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to departure.
On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a coloured hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking of an onboard kennel is required. Children travelling with an animal must be 16 years old. When travelling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7x big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16x small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Cargo decks serve road vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers) and trains (freight decks 2 to 7). On Deck 2 there are 1 train track (204 lane meters) plus 204 lane meters for trailers. Main Train Deck (3) has capacity 916 lane meters for trains (6 rail tracks) plus 1011 lane meters for trailers. Lower Trailer Deck (5) has a capacity 1162 lane meters. Upper Trailer Deck (7) has a capacity 918 lane meters. Access to Deck 5 is by a massive lift (platform length 104 m / 341 ft, lifting capacity 816 tons). The ship has 2 car decks (6 and 7).
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Scottish Viking, Adventurer, Britannica, EFlexer (Estrid, Edda), Europe, Flavia, Germanica, Hollandica, Horizon, Jutlandica, Scandica (ex Lagan), Baltica (ex Mersey), Nautica, Nordica, Saga, Scandinavica, Skane, Spirit, Superfast VII, Superfast VIII, Superfast X, Vision.
Scottish Viking ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Scottish Viking ferryAdd Photo
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Scottish Viking ferry Wiki
After its launch in July 2009, the ship was chartered to Norfolk Line (now part of DFDS Seaways) to serve the UK Scotland-Belgium route Edinburgh (Rosyth)-Zeebrugge, In 2010-2011 it was chartered to SCANDLINES, and since then - by STENA LINE.
The ship is powered by two MAN marine diesel engines (model 9L48-60B, combined output 21,6 MW). The propulsion system includes two controllable pitch propellers
Scottish Viking ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review