Tallink Star ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Tallink Star ferry
|Year built||2007 / Age : 12|
|Builder||Aker Finnyards (Finland)|
|Class||Tallink Shuttle cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Helsinki-Tallinn|
|Building cost||USD 148 million|
|Speed||27 kn / 50 kph / 31 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||36249 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
Current position of Tallink Star ferry
Review of Tallink Star ferry
MS Tallink Star ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Estonia-based company TALLINK-SILJA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 2080 passengers and 450 cars or 120 trucks/trailers. The vessel was launched in 2007 and currently operates on the Estonia-Finland ferry route Tallinn-Helsinki (crossing time 2 hours).
As cruise ferry, Tallink Star has a total of 131 cabins (64 inside and 65 outside, max capacity 4 passengers) with a total of 520 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries.
- (Deck 8) 2x Handicap Cabins (for disabled passengers) are in category A-Class Outside (size 8 m2), each fitted with 2 beds (1 lower fixed, 1 lower bunk), WC, shower, flat TV, wider doors (for wheelchair access).
- (Deck 8) 3x Pet Cabins (for passengers with pets) have capacity 2-4 persons, WC, shower, flat TV, linoleum flooring. Pet cabins are available in category B-Class Inside (size 8 m2).
- Each of the outside cabins has 1 round-shaped porthole window (non-opening).
- Room service can be ordered 4 days prior departure.
All cabins are with bunk beds (wall-mounted), mirrored vanity table (writing desk with chair), en-suite bathrooms (angled sink, wall-mounted toilet, shower cubicle, hairdryer). The boat additionally offers reclining seats (aircraft-type seats) available for pre-booking.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Passenger registration ends 1 hour prior to ferry departure.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Star ferry offers:
- A La Carte Restaurant is a sit-down eatery with an open kitchen.
- (Deck 8) Shuttle Buffet (Self-Service Restaurant) has a capacity of 450 seats and is located in the ship's forward section. Here are offered soft drinks, tea, coffee, wine, and beer, which are all included in the buffet meals price. Breakfast is offered only on morning departures. Swedish buffet is available on all day and evening departures. The buffet restaurant has several theme-food stations, including Grill, Cold Table (meats, seafood), Green Market (Salads), Warm Dishes, Desserts.
- (Deck 9) Burger King Restaurant with nearly 300 seats offers fresh-baked burgers.
- (Deck 9) Yo! Frozen Yogurt Cafe offers breakfast, refreshments, and desserts. Passengers can choose from various kinds of frozen yogurt, Greek Yogurt, coffee drinks, and smoothies, along with cakes, macaroons, and baked goods.
- (Deck 7) Pub Seaport offers various drinks and classic snacks.
- (Deck 8) Snack Time (Cafeteria / Patisserie / Coffee Bar) offers 320 seats, cold and warm beverages, light snacks (including fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fruit smoothies, sweet crepes) and meals (made-to-order food and ready-made options). Coffee drinks are fresh-brewed (from freshly ground beans). The Cafe also has a separate takeaway desk.
- (Deck 9) Tivoli / Children's Playroom (adjacent to Burger King Restaurant) is the ship's indoor playground area fitted with TV (for watching cartoons), Ball Pit Pool, craft tables. On each cruise, kids here meet the cartoon character Moomin and the SILJA LINE mascot Harri Hylje (Harry the Seal). Also here is the PlayStation Lounge (separate room for video games and arcade machines).
- (Deck 7) Supermarket / Traveller Superstore is a duty-free shop. Here at tax-free prices are sold special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, Deli handmade teas, and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard). The shop opens in the morning (before departure) and closes in the evening (after the last arrival). The shop is also closed while the ship is docked in ports.
- Perfume Shop offers perfumes and cosmetics on a total space of 1,500 m2. Here passengers will find the newest products from popular brands.
- Trend Shop offers the most recent trends, classic and fashionable accessories from world-famous brands. The store stocks a variety of bags, jewelry, watches and sunglasses from brands like Lacoste, Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger, Sekonda, Sno of Sweden, Swarowski, Rotary, Pilgrim, Anne Klein, Edblad, Ti Sento, Dyrberg/Kern
- Conference Room / Group Area (deck 9) has capacity 32 seats.
- (Lobby Deck) Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception). A nurse can be also reached via the Reception. Small lockers are available for valuables.
- Midship on the top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
TALLINK-SILJA LINE deals
- 2-day cruise deals ("Europa 22 hour") are offered only shuttle ferries with departures from Helsinki (embarkation 8 am) to Tallinn (disembarkation 12:10 pm on the next day).
- On all Tallink-Silja ships (excepting shuttle ferries) is available Room Service with a la carte priced special occasion gifts, sweets, and beverage menus. However, cabin services must be ordered 4 days prior departure.
- Onboard Conference Rooms are equipped with data projectors and white screens, and available for booking with group rates (extra charge pp). The room must be booked for at least 2 hours, and for a minimum of 10 persons. Catering (snack package or buffet meals, also refreshments) can be booked additionally.
- Smoking on the ship is prohibited in all cabins, restaurants, bars and lounges, corridors, elevators, stairwells. Smoking on the ship is allowed at designated areas and only on outdoor decks (look for "Smoking Area" signs).
- "Collect and Save" program is based on collecting stickers with onboard purchases (on all Tallink-Silja ships stores). The program allows purchasing of selected products at up to 57% discount prices. With every purchase (min value EUR 10), the passenger receives 1 sticker (to be glued inside a campaign folder). By the "Collect and Save" campaign, passengers can buy different products after collected 10, 20 or 30 stickers. These products are handed out and paid at the Info Stand or at the ship's shops. The "Collect and Save" offers are limited to a time period, or until select products are out of stock.
- "Club One" is the company's loyalty program rewarding passengers traveling frequently with Tallink-Silja ferries. By the program are accrued bonus points - based on ferry tickets and onboard purchases), but also on Tallink Hotels rooms booked via Tallink-Silja. The program has 3 levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold) determined by the bonus points. Bonus points can be used for booking voyages, getting onboard shopping and dining discounts, Tallink Hotels (Tallinn and Riga) 10% discount plus benefits, Tallink Takso (Tallinn) 5% discount, Europark (Helsinki) 15% car parking discount.
The Garage Deck is designed with separate for passenger and cargo vehicles areas. The loading is on 2 levels, with 2 entry and exit ways that can be used simultaneously for expedite loading and unloading.
The separate passenger car deck can be accessed also during the crossing. The garage also has direct access to Traveller Superstore's upper level, which allows purchased goods to be carried directly to the car.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Tallink (headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia) is an Estonian shipping company that operates Baltic Sea cruise ferries and RoPax vessels with direct services connecting Estonia with Finland and Sweden. and Sweden with Finland and Latvia. Tallink-Silja current fleet includes the ships Baltic Princess, Baltic Queen, Silja Europa, Silja Galaxy, Silja Serenade, Silja Symphony, Tallink Isabelle, Tallink Megastar, Tallink MySTAR (2022), Tallink Romantika, Tallink Star, Tallink Victoria.
Tallink Star ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Tallink Star ferryAdd Photo
Other TALLINK-SILJA cruise ships
Tallink Star ferry Wiki
The shipbuilding contract for Tallink Star was signed on August 1, 2001. The vessel's construction started on May 30, 2006 (keel-laying at Aker Yards, Helsinki STX Finland). The ship was launched and christened on November 23, 2006, delivered to TALLINK on March 10, 2007, and entered service on April 12, 2007.
Upon Star's delivery, the shipbuilder Aker Yards had 21 passenger ships on order, of which 11 cruise and 10 ferries.
The ship is powered by 4x MAK marine diesel engines (model 12M43C, combined output 48 MW). The propulsion system includes 2x bow Wartsila thrusters. The hull is ice-strengthened (class 1A Super) which allows year-round operations on Baltic Sea routes with extreme ice conditions. Ferry's fuel capacity is 973 m3 of MDO (marine diesel oil). Fresh-water tanks capacity is 550 m3.
During drydock refurbishment 2019 (January 7-22, at Klaipeda Shipyard, Lithuania) were done complete renovations of Snack Time Cafe and Starbucks Cafe (including new furniture), also Sea Pub was redesigned and updated. Renovations received also Children’s Playground (also extended), shopping areas, corridors-stairways-hallways (new carpeting), Business Lounge (carpets, TVs), all Public Restrooms. Along with general maintenance works, the ship's propulsion system was upgraded with EnergoProFin. This is Wartsila-made propeller cap with fins rotating together with the propeller. The unit serves as an additional screw and reduces energy loss and underwater noise-vibrations. The cruise ship was also fitted with a latest-generation navigation system. By Tallink Grupp's Ship Renewal Programme are regularly refurbished all vessels in the fleet. Program's budget for the period 2013-2018 was nearly EUR 80 million.
Tallink Star ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review