Naples (Napoli in Italian) is a major Mediterranean cruise ship port located in Campania. The city is Italy's 3rd largest municipality - after Rome and Milan. The port is on the north side of Bay of Naples (Tyrrhenian Sea).
- The cruise terminal is opposite the old town - with tall balconied houses, narrow streets and stepped lanes. Nearby, ferries leave for Ischia Island and Capri Island.
- Tours in Naples offer visiting many castles and other historic landmarks. Nearby are located the ruins of Herculaneum and Pompeii - ancient Roman cities engulfed, yet preserved by the volcanic eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79 AD.
- Another most popular tour destinations from naples are the beautiful port towns on the Amalfi Coast - the Italian Riviera's pearls like Sorrento, Ravello, Positano and Amalfi itself.
On a rocky islet connected to Naples by a causeway stands 12th-century Castel dell'Ovo. Other Neapolitan castles include 13th-century Castel Nuovo, on the harbour, and 14th-century Castel Sant'Elmo, located on a hill overlooking the city. Palazzo Reale, the former royal palace in Naples, was built in early 17th century and houses original Bourbon furniture, statues, paintings, beautifully decorated apartments and the National Library. Near the palace is Teatro San Carlo created in 1737. One of the biggest theatres in Europe it's celebrated for its opulent interior and opera productions. The National Museum in Naples is renowned for its rich collection of Graeco-Roman paintings and sculpture found in Herculaneum, Pompeii, and elsewhere in the city. The cathedral of San Gennaro and the Church of San Domenico Maggiore, rich in sculpture and frescoes, are also worth visiting. Former Dominican monastery is where Saint Thomas Aquinas once lived and taught.
Ancient Neapolis, the "New City", was originally a Greek settlement that was conquered by the Romans in the 4th century BC. The "New City" was a favourite resort of wealthy Romans. Neapolis was captured by forces of Byzantine Empire in the 6th century, and in the 8th it became an independent duchy. The Normans conquered the duchy in 1139, and subsequently it was incorporated into the kingdom of Naples and Sicily, which passed to Spanish rule in 1503. The Austrian Bourbons ruled Naples from 1707 to 1734, and in 1815 it was united to Sicily and formed the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, which became part of the newly formed Kingdom of Italy in 1860. In the late 19th century the port of Naples was greatly improved. During World War 2 Naples was damaged by the Allies and retreating Germans before it fell in 1943.
Cruise itineraries to and from Naples Italy
Follows a list of destinations visited by cruise ships leaving out of Naples:
- The most common itineraries are week-long (7-nights / 8-days) round-trip Mediterranean Sea cruises.
- Western Mediterranean itineraries visit ports in Spain, France (including on the French Riviera), Italy, also the islands of Corsica (Ajaccio), Sardinia (Cagliari, Olbia), Menorca, Majorca, Ibiza, Malta, Sicily (Palermo, Catania, Messina).
- Round-trips from Naples on Eastern Mediterranean itineraries (to ports in Greece-Greek islands and Turkey) and to Canary Islands are not offered.
- For all current and future (scheduled) cruise itineraries, lines and ships to and from Naples, see at the port's "Schedule" section above (located to the right of the "Map" button).
Naples cruise port news
- The MSC Cruises company (part of MSC Group) was founded and headquartered in Naples since 1960.
- The Naples port runs several ferry, hydrofoil and catamaran passenger shipping services. The lines link Naples to Capri, Ischia, Sorrento, Salerno, Positano, Amalfi, also with the islands of Sicily, Sardinia, Ponza. The port serves annually over 6 million ferry passengers, plus around 1 million international cruise passengers. The hydrofoil shipping service (Metropolitana del Mare) runs in the summer months (July through September).
- (statistics 2007) The port handled 8988056 (ferry and cruise) passengers.
- On July 11, 2011, MSC Cruises signed an agreement with Naples for sponsorship of the city's football club SSC Napoli SpA (aka Napoli). With this deal MSC became the Napoli's Official Sponsor and the MSC cruise line's logo was displayed on the team’s blue shirts during the whole 2011-2012 season. For the special event, the company's CEO Mr Pierfrancesco Vago and the Napoli's President Mr Aurelio De Laurentiis met on the MSC Splendida liner docked in Naples. The agreement included also special promotion deals for the fans and football-themed cruises.
- On April 12, 2015 (opening) at the Naples Grande Beach Resort was held the 30th MHA (Marine Hotel Association). The trade show was followed by a conference event.
- (Summer 2016) Naples was among the ports included in the Carnival Vista liner's inaugural season in Europe. Most of these itineraries were 10-days (Barcelona to Athens, Athens to Barcelona), also 8-days and 10-days (round-trips from Barcelona).
- For other Naples port related news see at the "News" section above (located to the right of the "Schedule" button).
Highlights: City, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri
Naples cruise terminal
Naples port is among the Italy's largest cruise passenger and container cargo ports. The port handles over 64000 ships per year and provides steady jobs for over 4800 employees. The Napoli port is located in the city centre, close to Piazza Municipio and some 15 km (9,3 ml) away from the Naples Airport.
- UN-LOCODE (United Nations location code) - ITNAP
- port address (GPS coordinates) 40°51′0.00″ N 14°16′0.00″ E
- supported by excellent road, rail and air infrastructure
- deep channel water and berths - Cargo pier (7,6 m), Oil terminal (6,1 m)
- Harbor type is Coastal Breakwater
- capability to accommodate 3 vessels at a time
- The port's cruising season runs between April and November.
- Cruise ships usually arrive in Naples around noon (11 am, 1 pm) and depart from Naples in the evening (at 6 or 7 pm).
The port of Naples has the following terminals:
- 1 Containership terminal - with 70 mooring places and annual shipping capacity of 500000 TEU containers
- 4 Commercial cargo terminals (timber, cellulose, grain)
- 1 Automobile (Ro-Ro) terminal - 850 m in length, land area sized 120000 m2, 8000 cars capacity. The port's daily ferry traffic with the island of Sicily is around 700 vehicles. In 2007 the auto terminal handled around 475000 cars.
- 1 Passenger (cruise) terminal - 10 mooring places, 7 mobile gangways, 12 check-in desks, annual capacity of around 1,5 million.
- 1 Shipyard - with 3 dry-docks plus 4 floating docks for repairs.
Stazione Maritima cruise terminal
- Cruise ships berth at the Stazione Maritima (near Castel Nuovo). Berth 21 and Berth 22 (at the north pier) are also used, with a bus shuttle to the cruise terminal being provided.
- There is a ferry terminal (serving the lines Naples-Capri and Naples-Sorrento) which is located south of the cruise ship terminal.
- Alibus line runs between Naples Airport, the city's central train station (Garibaldi) and the port Molo Beverello. This bus line offers quick transportation from the terminal to the Garibaldi station.
A new metro line was inaugurated in 2013. Since June 2015, the Municipio station (near the cruise ship terminal) offers easy transportation to the Museo station or the Garibaldi (central train) station.
Next photo shows Naples' Molo Beverello port cruise terminals.
The Naples cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Naples, Italy.
If you lose the Naples location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Naples cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Naples, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
4 March, 2017
3 March, 2017
5 March, 2017
10 March, 2017
11 March, 2017
13 March, 2017
17 March, 2017
20 March, 2017
27 March, 2017
The luxury cruise ship SeaDream I caught fire off Naples, Italy yesterday afternoon, September 1, with 105 passengers and 61 crew onboard. The...September 2, 2016
In a ceremony that is quite unusual for cruise industry, Carnival launched the forward section of its second Vista class ship at a ceremony in...May 19, 2016
Thomson Cruises will launch its newest ship, Thomson Discovery, in June with an inaugural cruise from Palma de Mallorca. The 1,830...January 25, 2016
A grand cruise with Star Clippers reveals the ancient monuments, natural wonders and culinary touches of the Mediterranean. The European summer on an...July 4, 2015
The largest ship of Norwegian Cruise Line arrived in Barcelona, Spain. Norwegian Epic will begin her summer season of 7-night Mediterranean...May 1, 2015
- show more news