American Song Review and Specifications
Specifications of American Song
|Year built||2018 new ship|
|Builder||Chesapeake Shipbuilding (Salisbury, Maryland USA)|
|Owner||American Cruise Lines Inc|
|Operator||American Cruise Lines|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Sister-ships||American Constellation, American Constitution|
Review of American Song
Launched in 2018, American Song cruise ship is the third vessel from American Cruise Lines' "Modern Riverboat Series". The ship is similar in design, but with slightly bigger capacity (195 passengers) in comparison to the 175-passenger sister-ships and fleetmates American Constellation (2017) and American Constitution (2018).
History - construction & ownership
American Cruise Lines (ACL) is a small cruise line with headquarters in Guilford, Connecticut, operational since 1991. American Constitution is the latest river cruise ship from ACL. She is uniquely designed in order to navigate the inland waterways of US East Coast and brings travelers to exciting locations that cannot be accessed by larger ships. In the intimate atmosphere offered onboard, passengers find the largest cabins in industry, spacious lounges, observation decks, private balconies that offer splendid views of passing landscapes.
Unlike anything seen before along American waterways, the innovative vessel brings a new dimension to river cruising in the United States. American Song integrates contemporary design with no sacrificing the comfort that American Cruise Lines is popular for. Quieter, wider, and faster than any other river ship, it is the most environmentally friendly in the industry.
While other cruise lines repurpose old casino ships, American Cruise Lines contracts for brand new boats to maintain the reputation for premium quality. Each of the line's newbuild boasts the most innovative design and is U.S. built, flagged and crewed.
Cruise itinerary program
American Song itinerary program started on Spetember 29, 2018 with the 8-day inaugural cruise on Mississippi River, roundtrip from New Orleans. Other itineraries are the 8-day / 7-night Lower Mississippi River cruise from Memphis TN to New Orleans, and the reverse itinerary from New Orleans to Memphis.
- 8-day "Lower Mississippi River" from Memphis to New Orleans itinerary's ports of call are Memphis (day 1 / embarkation), river cruising (day 2), Vicksburg MS (day 3), Natchez MS (day 4), St Francisville LA (day 5), Baton Rouge LA (day 6), Oak Alley Plantation LA (day 7), New Orleans LA (day 8, disembarkation).
- 8-day "Mississippi River" roundtrip from New Orleans itinerary's ports of call are New Orleans LA (day 1 / embarkation), Oak Alley Plantation LA (day 2), Natchez MS (day 3), Vicksburg MS (day 4), St Francisville LA (day 5), Baton Rouge LA (day 6), Houmas House Plantation LA (day 7), New Orleans LA (day 8, disembarkation).
- In 2019, the ship will be deployed on the US West Coast to operate Columbia and Snake river cruises.
American Cruise Lines deals are inclusive of pre-cruise hotel package, all shore excursions (organized daily), cocktail hour (each evening), cruise accommodation, gourmet meals, Afternoon Tea service, room service (Breakfast only), onboard enrichment and entertainment programs, Wi-Fi (shipwide coverage).
With the biggest staterooms in industry, full-size bathrooms, private furnished balconies, and the finest amenities in cruising, American Song redefines the standard for U.S. river cruising. All 102 cabins onboard have private balconies, along with the solo cabins that start at 250 ft2 (23 m2). Other staterooms range between 304-328 ft2 (28-30.5 m2) while the veranda suites are 405 ft2 (38 m2) and owner's suites - 445 ft2 (41 m2).
Dining options & Entertainment
American Song showcases gorgeous interior design elements, from a 4-story glass atrium to spacious lounges. Thoughtfully designed to bring the whole outside world in, the vessel features sweeping views throughout. It also has a putting green, bocce area and croquet on its top deck, 6 large lounges, a grand dining room and a chart room (library). An elevator goes to all decks.
American Song wiki
- The improved ship design allows "bow landings" via a retractable and rotating gangway (passenger bridge) that extends from Main Deck (deck 1) to the dock or directly onto the river bank. This feature is available on all traditional-design US paddlewheel riverboats and provides expanded options for river cruise itineraries unmatched by most newbuild river cruise ships.
- The ship has a modern propulsion system consisting of 2x azymuth thrusters ("Z-drives") manufactured by Veth (Holland). These 360-degree rotating propellers (1x forward, 1x aft) provide the boat with greater maneuverability and berthing flexibility.
- The ship is powered by 2x Caterpillar marine engines running on low-sulfur diesel. These modern engines require less fuel and produce less emissions (COx, NOx, SOx) and soot particles in comparison to other boats on the US river cruising market.
- The ship's Vestibule (Atrium) is 5-deck high and features large windows (portside and starboard) as well as SkyLight (transparent glass-roof cover) that allows natural light into the interior.
- The vessel was launched on November 17, 2017, which was 7 weeks ahead of schedule. The ceremony was held at the Chesapeake Shipbuilding yard in Salisbury MA. During the launch, the hull was floated-out from drydock into Wicomico River. Then it was positioned in the shipyard's East Outfitting Basin to receive the superstructure (upper decks) and outfitting.
- The ship's "Inaugural cruise" (maiden voyage) was scheduled for September 29, 2018. The 8-day / 7-night "Mississippi River" itinerary was a roundtrip from New Orleans, with prices starting from USD 4800 (category AAR balcony cabin) and up to USD 7100 (Owner Suite).
American Song ship related cruise news
American Cruise Lines announced the successful launch of its brand new river ship American Song into Wicomico River on Friday, November 17. The...November 22, 2017
American Cruise Lines announced that its new river boat will be named American Song. The first ship in the line's Modern Riverboat Series, American...November 15, 2017
- show more news