BRITTANY FERRIES (Ferries)
Honfleur ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Honfleur ferry
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (Flensburg, Germany)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Caen|
|Building cost||EUR 195 million (USD 240 million)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||185 m / 607 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||42400 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Honfleur ferry
MS Honfleur ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 1680 passengers, 550 cars and 64 lorries (or 130 freight trailers) The vessel was launched in 2019 and currently operates on the UK (England)-France ferry route Portsmouth-Caen (crossing time nearly 6 hours).
As cruiseferry, Honfleur has a total of 257 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship additionally has reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories are 4-berth Outside "Club Plus", 4-berth Outside "Club", 4-berth Inside, 2-berth Inside, wheelchair-accessible. Also available are reserved lounge seats and cots.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Honfleur ship offers:
- A La Carte Restaurant (120-seat, offers locally-sourced meals prepared by French chefs)
- La Restaurant (self-service / buffet restaurant, hot and cold meals)
- Le Cafe (sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- 2 cinemas - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- kids playroom (part of Le Restaurant, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Games Planet (teen lounge - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby changing rooms, complimentary Baggage Room
- Chance Planet (casino / gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reading Lounge
- 2 Reserved Seating Lounges (with reclining / Pullman seats)
- Le Bar (fine French wines, cocktails, cold / hot drinks, flat TVs)
- plenty of outdoor deck space
- Les Boutiques shops - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- disabled toilets
- elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
- The ship features an art colection of around 1000 works, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, photography. Many art works were made by local artists.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
BRITTANY FERRIES cruise deals
The company offers regularly scheduled ferry services between England and France (travel time on cruise ferries 3-4 hours) and between France and Spain (travel time 20-36 hours). The high-speed UK-France service allows the ships to successfully target the UK's "mini cruise" and holiday travel markets.
As on cruise vessels, all BRITTANY FERRIES ships offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Cruise accommodations range from 2-bed "Inside Cabin" to "Commodore Suite" (with in-cabin dining / Afternoon Tea and Breakfast service). Some suites are with private balconies.
Onboard food is predominantly French cuisine and prepared by French chefs. All ships have a la carte priced restaurants, self-service cafeteria, selection of bars, live entertainment (singers, magicians, pantomimes for kids), at least one cinema, casino, arcade room, Bureau de Change, baby changing rooms, disabled toilets, Sun Deck areas, free of charge Wi-Fi.
Cruise ferries on France-Spain routes have swimming pools (open during summer months only), as well as kids play areas with supervised activities (during holidays only). Spa treatment rooms on Spain-France cruise ferries offer facials (from ProCare), massages (by certified masseuses), modern massage chairs, pedicure and manicure services (Opi nail varnishes), treatments using skincare products by the French brand "Filorga Professional".
Ships' boutique shops sell at discount prices tobacco and alcohol (budget and premium wines and spirits), as well as luxury brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, watches, sunglasses, souvenirs, toys.
Fun fact is that BRITTANY FERRIES serve annually around 22 tons of langoustines (Norway lobster), 15 tons of smoked salmon, 260 tons of meat, 240,000 English breakfasts, 333,000 litres of beer. By onboard sold perfumes, the company is ranked France's 3rd largest perfume retailer.
- Ferry fares are based on departure dates, routes and time (season).
- GBP 35 deposit is required to secure bookings during peak summer season.
- Summer prices are usually higher. Same goes for the weekends and overnight crossings.
- Departures in the mornings, afternoons and overnights are offered throughout the whole year.
- Overnight France-Spain crossings are 7 in a week.
- Mix and match route deals are also available.
Follows the list of all BRITTANY FERRIES routes with crossing times and frequencies.
- Portsmouth-Caen (6 hours) - 3 daily
- Portsmouth-St Malo (11 hours / overnight) - daily
- Portsmouth-Cherbourg (3 hours) - 10 return (in the period late April - early September)
- Portsmouth-Santander Spain (24 hours / overnight) - 3 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Bilbao Spain (24-36 hours) - 2 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Le Havre (5 hours 30 min) - daily return crossings
- Poole-Cherbourg (4 hours 15 min) - daily return
- Plymouth-Roscoff (6 hours) 2 return
- Plymouth-Santander Spain (20 hours) - direct weekly crossings
- Cork Ireland-Roscoff (14 hours) - weekly, return crossings in the period April-November)
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven.
Honfleur ferry wiki
- Honfleur is BRITTANY FERRIES' first LNG-powered vessel (liquefied natural gas), the compay's largest vessel, as well as the newest and greenest regularly-scheduled ferry operating in the English Channel. The ship features an innovative design, and top-notch marine technologies. Its four LNG engines run on fuel without any sulphur emissions, which results in less COx and soot particulates in comparison to diesel-powered vessels. The propulsion system is diesel-electric, consisting of modern Azipod units (azymuth thrusters). This type of propulsion is generally used extensively on large-sized cruise ships as it generates less noise and vibrations, and also optimises fuel consumption at lower speeds.
- On December 11, 2017, BRITTANY FERRIES signed the shipbuilding financing, part of the EUR 750 million "Green Shipping Guarantee" program. The program was put in place in 2016 and is supported by "European Investment Bank" and "Societe Generale". Both banks signed an EUR 150 million guarantee agreement to support the vessel's construction. Societe Generale was the main arranger of EUR 142,6 million ship financing, which also includes an EUR 49,5 million tranche fully guaranteed by European Investment Bank.
- In January 2018, the UK-based law firm "Watson Farley & Williams" (office Paris France) advised the shipowner BRITTANY FERRIES on the EUR 178 million Honfleur ship financing. The deal (loan and lease purchase) was backed by a banking consortium that included Societe Generale (main arranger) and European Investment Bank.
- The ship is named after the Normandy port town Honfleur, located near Seine River's estuary and across Le Havre (seaport to Paris).
- The UK-France route Portsmouth-Caen, the Honfleur ship operates together with the fleetmate Mont St Michel. This service runs three times daily.