Hypatia de Alejandria ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Hypatia de Alejandria ferry
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Cantiere Navale Visentini (Porto Viro / Venice, Italy)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Barcelona-Mahon (Menorca), Barcelona-Alcudia (Majorca)|
|Building cost||EUR 100 million (USD 123 million)|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
Review of Hypatia de Alejandria ferry
MV Hypatia de Alejandria ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Spanish company BALEARIA. The ship has max capacity of 810 passengers and 150 cars (plus 128 trucks / trailers). The vessel will be launched in 2019. So far is known only that the new ship will link mainland Spain with the Balearic Islands. There is a high posibility the ferry to be deployed on the route Barcelona-Mahon (Menorca Island) or Barcelona-Alcudia (Majorca Island).
Exact details on the cruiseferry Hypatia de Alejandria cabins (number of berths and categories) are to be revealed soon. All staterooms on BALEARIA ships are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ships also have wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers) and Pet-Friendly cabins (for passengers traveling with animals).
The ship's Reserved Seating Lounge is equipped with large TVs and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining leather armchairs). Reserved seats are available for pre-booking. These deals are inclusive of complimentary beverages (tea, coffee, soft drinks). The Lobby Bar Lounge is furnished with comfortable leather sofas and chairs and round tables.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Hypatia de Alejandria ship offers:
- Accommodation options - cabins, Lounge seats (standard), Reserved Lounge seats (leather recliners), Lobby Bar seating. All lounges are fitted with large TVs.
- Dining options - Self-Service Restaurant (full menu, single courses, kids-vegetarian-healthy meals, traditional local dishes), Bar-Cafeteria (patisserie - pastries, cakes, drinks, snacks, sandwiches), Outdoor Bar (grill, cocktails, beers, sundeck barbecues), chocolate and ice-cream parlour. Purchasing dining services in advance offers 10% discount.
- Entertainment options - supervised children's entertainment, live stand-up comedy and magic shows, DJ music parties and live performances by guest artists (on Sun Deck), 3D Cinema, Casino (slot machines gaming area).
- Family services - the company provides high chairs, cots, safety bars for cabins' bunkbeds, baby changing rooms, kids menu, children activities (games, toys, drawing sets, board games), kids play area (ball pool). Kids entertainment program is available during peak season (movies, handicraft workshops).
- For passengers with disabilities are offered designated handicap cabins (2-berth / for passengers with reduced mobility), adapted toilets (in all onboard communal areas), disabled lounge seats, safety anchorage points (for wheelchairs), lifts (passenger elevators connecting all decks).
- Spa & Beauty Salon (massages, beauty treatments)
- Solarium (sundeck sunbathing area)
- Gifts & Travel Necessities Shop (combined boutique and general store - gifts and souvenirs, alcohol and tobaccos, perfumes and cosmetics, drinks, snacks, sweets, toiletries, electronics, toys, books, newspapers, local gourmet produce)
- Luggage Compartments - there are luggage lockers (available in the ship's passenger lounge) which are accessible throughout the voyage.
- Pet Cages (upon booking, the pet cage type must be indicated). For pet owners, all Balearia ships offer 2 types of cages - small cage (max height 50-75 cm / pets less than 30 kg) and large cage (max height 70-90 cm / pets over 30 kg). Passengers can also bring their own pet carriers. In all 3 cases, cage pricing is fixed (EUR 3-10 per voyage) and varries depending on the ferry route. Valid health cards for pets are required. Under no circumstances pets are allowed out of their cages / carriers during the crossing. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
- Entreolas by Balearia Magazine is a free of charge onboard magazine themed on travel and lifestyle, culture, sports, fashion, music, cuisine, Balearia news.
- Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
All Balearia ships have a hold for bikes. Free of charge travel bicycles, mopeds and motorbikes (up to 125 cc), which must be indicated upon booking.
Special vehicles (height over 3 m / 10 ft) must be booked via the company's Call Center (902 160 180).
To make room for the two LNG tanks, the car decks are only in upper decks. The ship has no lower garage bridges.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
Balearia ferry deals
Onboard shopping offers discounted pricing for Balearia Club members. Balearia Club members enjoy as perks:
- 10% discounts in onboard shops, bars and restaurants
- preferential queue (priority boarding in select departure ports)
- With standard chair booking, along with the boarding card club members receive vouchers giving access to Superior Lounge (reclining leather chairs / subject to availability).
- Balearia has over 50 partnerships for exclusive offers and promotions. Club Member only offers provide discounts on land-based facilities and services (resorts, hotels, restaurants, chain stores, boutiques, tours, buses, travel insurance, etc).
(ferry + train travel) Balearia has partnership with the Spanish state-owned railroad company Renfe Operadora. The company serves the routes between Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Marseilles, Barcelona and Madrid. The Balearia-Renfe partnership offers discounted train travel. Upon online booking the Balearia ferry, there is an option that if checked creates a Renfe promo code. The code is valid for the next 48 hours, if you book online Renfe trains.
(ferry + hotel) On select routes, Balearia offers discounted ferry-hotel packages, with prices starting from around EUR 65.
(day tour) deals are valid when purchasing roundtrip tickets and within 24 hours after booking (no changes or cancellations are accepted). Kids under 13 receive 50% discount, while babies travel for free. Day tour package prices range between EUR 10-60 (depending on itinerary). Shuttle bus service is provided.
The shipowner Balearia (founded in 1998, headquartered in Denia Spain) is a Spanish ferry company operating passenger ferry services in the Mediterranean and Caribbean (Bahamas). Balearia's current fleet includes the ships Abel Matutes, Bahama Mama, Denia Ciutat Creativa, Martin i Soler, Napoles, Nissos Chios, Regina Baltica, Sicilia, Visemar One.
Hypatia de Alejandria ferry wiki
- The ship is named after Hypatia (350-415 AD) - a female mathematician and astronomer from Alexandria, Egypt (then part of Byzantine Empire). She was the leader of Alexandria's Neoplatonic school and taught there philosophy and astronomy.
- On January 19, 2018, the vessel design was officially presented by the shipowner BALEARIA. Company's first LNG-powered ferry has a sistership (of the same class) which is still unnamed. The announcement was made in Madrid, Spain (at the International Tourism Fair) by Adolfo Utor (BALEARIA's Chairman). Both vessels are currently under construction at Porto Viro shipyard (near Venice, Italy) being built by Cantiere Navale Visenti.
- Using LNG (liquefied natural gas) as prime fuel for the ship results in huge reduction of CO2 emissions (by around 30%) and NOx (by around 85%), and also eliminates SOx and soot particles. The new ferries are also equipped with dual fuel LNG engines (total power output 20,6 MW), solar panels. LED lighting and trim control (in all cabins). Digitized onboard services include pet video surveillance and on-demand entertainment. Ferries' engines are not exclusively LNG, but "dual fuel" - capable of burring both liquid marine fuel (MDO / marine diesel oil) and natural gas. This design is for saving onboard space (reducing fuel storage space that is required). Currently, the world's largest dual-engine cruiseferry is Tallink Megastar (Wartsila dual-engine powerplant).
- The EUR 200 million (USD 246,6 million / for the two boats) contract with the Italian shipbuilder was signed in January 2017.
- For the LNG bunkering supply, BALEARIA contracted the Spanish company Gas Natural Fenosa (based in Barcelona), with an initial term of 10 years (till 2028). The contract initially applies to ports Barcelona, Valencia and Algeciras, with optional extension to all mainland Spain ports operated by BALEARIA. Abel Matutes was BALEARIA's (and Spain's) first ship with installed LGN auxiliary engine. The LNG bunkering for the ferry is provided in both Palma de Mallorca and Barcelona.
- On March 29, 2018, was the vessel's launch (float-out ceremony). Its delivery was scheduled for February 2019.