Abel Matutes ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Abel Matutes ferry
|Year built||2010 / Age : 9|
|Builder||Barreras Shipyard (Vigo, Spain)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Barcelona-Palma de Mallorca, Valencia-Ibiza-Palma de Mallorca, Huelva-Canarias|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||190 m / 623 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||29670 gt|
Current position of Abel Matutes ferry
Review of Abel Matutes ferry
MV Abel Matutes ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Spanish company BALEARIA. The ship has a max capacity of 900 passengers and 247 cars. The vessel was launched in 2010 and currently operates on the ferry route Barcelona/Valencia-Ibiza-Palma de Mallorca (crossing time 7,5 hours) and Huelva-Canarias (Gran Canaria and Tenerife/Canary Islands).
As cruise ferry, Abel Matutes has a total of 92 cabins (90 of which 4-berth), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's Reserved Seating Lounge (Neptune Lounge) is equipped with large TV and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining leather armchairs). Reserved seats are available for pre-booking. These deals are inclusive of complimentary beverages (tea, coffee, soft drinks). The Lobby Bar Lounge is furnished with comfortable leather sofas and chairs and round tables.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Abel Matutes ship offers:
- Accommodation options - cabins, Sirena Lounge seats (standard), Neptune Lounge seats (reserved / leather recliners), Lobby Bar seating. All lounges are fitted with large TVs.
- Dining options - Self-Service Restaurant (full menu, single courses, kids-vegetarian-healthy meals, traditional local dishes), Bar-Cafeteria (patisserie - pastries, cakes, drinks, snacks, sandwiches), Outdoor Bar (grill, cocktails, beers, sundeck barbecues), chocolate and ice-cream parlor. Purchasing dining services in advance offers a 10% discount.
- Entertainment options - supervised children's entertainment, live stand-up comedy and magic shows, DJ music parties and live performances by guest artists (on Sun Deck), 3D Cinema, Casino (slot machines gaming area).
- Family services - the company provides high chairs, cots, safety bars for cabins' bunk beds, baby changing rooms, kids menu, children activities (games, toys, drawing sets, board games), kids play area (ball pool). The kids' entertainment program is available during peak season (movies, handicraft workshops).
- Passengers with disabilities - 6 disabled cabins (of which 2 are 2-berth / for passengers with reduced mobility), adapted toilets (in all onboard communal areas), 5 disabled lounge seats, 2 safety anchorage points (for wheelchairs), lifts (passenger elevators connecting all decks).
- Spa & Beauty Salon (massages, beauty treatments)
- Solarium (sundeck sunbathing area)
- Gifts & Travel Necessities Shop (combined boutique and general store - gifts and souvenirs, alcohol and tobaccos, perfumes and cosmetics, drinks, snacks, sweets, toiletries, electronics, toys, books, newspapers, local gourmet produce)
- Luggage Compartments - there are luggage lockers (available in the ship's passenger lounge) which are accessible throughout the voyage.
Pet Cages (upon booking, the pet cage type must be indicated). For pet owners, all Balearia ships offer 2 types of cages - small cage (max height 50-75 cm / pets less than 30 kg) and large cage (max height 70-90 cm / pets over 30 kg). Passengers can also bring their own pet carriers. In all 3 cases, cage pricing is fixed (EUR 3-10 per voyage) and varies depending on the ferry route. Valid health cards for pets are required. Under no circumstances, pets are allowed out of their cages/carriers during the crossing. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
Entreolas by Balearia Magazine is a free of charge onboard magazine themed on travel and lifestyle, culture, sports, fashion, music, cuisine, Balearia news. Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
All Balearia ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Smoking anywhere inside the ships is not permitted.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
All Balearia ships have a hold for bikes. Free of charge travel bicycles, mopeds, and motorbikes (up to 125 ccs), which must be indicated upon booking.
Special vehicles (height over 3 m / 10 ft) must be booked via the company's Call Center (902 160 180).
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
Balearia ferry deals
Onboard shopping offers discounted pricing for Balearia Club members. Balearia Club members enjoy as perks:
- 10% discounts on onboard shops, bars, and restaurants
- preferential queue (priority boarding in select departure ports)
- With standard chair booking, along with the boarding card club members receive vouchers giving access to Superior Lounge (reclining leather chairs / subject to availability).
- Balearia has over 50 partnerships for exclusive offers and promotions. Club Member's only offers provide discounts on land-based facilities and services (resorts, hotels, restaurants, chain stores, boutiques, tours, buses, travel insurance, etc).
(ferry + train travel) Balearia has a partnership with the Spanish state-owned railroad company Renfe Operadora. The company serves the routes between Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Marseilles, Barcelona, and Madrid. The Balearia-Renfe partnership offers discounted train travel. Upon online booking the Balearia ferry, there is an option that if checked creates a Renfe promo code. The code is valid for the next 48 hours if you book online Renfe trains.
(ferry + hotel) On select routes, Balearia offers discounted ferry-hotel packages, with prices starting from around EUR 65.
(day tour) deals are valid when purchasing roundtrip tickets and within 24 hours after booking (no changes or cancellations are accepted). Kids under 13 receive a 50% discount, while babies travel for free. Day tour package prices range between EUR 10-60 (depending on itinerary). Shuttle bus service is provided.
The shipowner Balearia (founded in 1998, headquartered in Denia Spain) is a Spanish ferry company operating passenger ferry services in the Mediterranean and Caribbean (Bahamas). Balearia's current fleet includes the ships Abel Matutes, Bahama Mama, Denia Ciutat Creativa, Hypatia de Alejandria, Marie Curie, Martin i Soler, Napoles, Nissos Chios, Regina Baltica, Sicilia, Visemar One.
Abel Matutes ferry wiki
In late-October 2018, Balearia contracted Caterpillar Marine to install MAK dual-fuel engines on 3 vessels (Abel Matutes, Bahama Mama, Martin I Soler). Engine conversions (by Caterpillar dealer Finanzauto) were scheduled for early-2019. By this project, ship's diesel engines (2x 9M43C, total power output 18 MW) were replaced with 2x MaK 9M46DF (dual-fuel / diesel-LNG, power output 8,7 MW each) used with gearbox and controllable pitch propellers. Caterpillar provided dual-fuel conversion kits and all engine modules (ignition, ventilation, exhaust gas, and GVU ventilation, valves, housing).
In late-November 2018, BALEARIA started a EUR 12 million drydock retrofit project for retrofitting six ferries (starting with Napoles on Nov 18) to be converted to LNG (liquified natural gas). All drydocks (at Gibraltar Gibdock shipyards) included modifying of the engines and installing LNG tanks. The conversion project was scheduled for completion on February 15, 2019.
- Each ship got dual-fuel (LNG-diesel) MAN engines (9L-51-60-DF).
- The change results in fuel savings, with expected annual emissions reduction per vessel over 9113 tons (CO2) and over 871 tons (NOx) plus zero SOx emissions and soot particles. Ferry's annual CO2 reduction is equal to the emissions of around 6000 cars.
- Wartsila-made LNG tanks (one per vessel) are able to store up to 440 m3 LNG, which allows autonomous operations up to 1900 km (1200 ml). Onboard gas pipes are from Cryospain (Madrid-based). The project as engineering was designed by Cotenaval (Valencia-based).
- The retrofit project was partially funded (20%, EUR 2,4 million) by CEF (Connecting Europe Facility). The list of ferries scheduled for engine conversion included Abel Matutes, Bahama Mama, Martin i Soler, Napoles, and Sicilia.
Abel Matutes ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Abel Matutes ferryAdd Photo
Abel Matutes ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Spanish ferry company Balearia received fleet upgrades grant of EUR 11.8 million from the EU Commission in order to upgrade 5 of its cruiseferries...October 13, 2018
- show more news
Other BALEARIA cruise ships
Abel Matutes ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review