Finnclipper ferry current position
Finnclipper ferry current location is at Adriatic Sea (coordinates 40.36044 N / 18.85403 E) cruising at speed of 16.8 kn (31 km/h | 19 mph) en route to Brindisi. The AIS position was reported 8 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Finnclipper ferry
|Year of build||1999 / Age: 24|
|Builder||Navantia Puerto Real Shipyard (Cadiz, Spain)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Malmo-Travemunde (FINNLINES), Barcelona-Valencia-Palma de Mallorca (BALEARIA)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 km/h / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||188 m / 617 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||29841 gt|
|Sister-ships||Euroferry Corfu, Stena Britannica, Stena Hollandica, Stena Germanica|
|Former names||Rosalind Franklin|
Finnclipper ferry Review
Review of Finnclipper ferry
MS Finnclipper ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Finland-based company FINNLINES. The ship has a max capacity of 1300 passengers and 300 cars. The vessel was launched in 1999 and and currently operates on the Sweden-Germany ferry route Malmo-Travemunde (crossing time 9 hours).
As cruise ferry, Finnclipper has 440 cabins with a total of 1067 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. All cabins are located on deck 8 and available in 6 categories (inside and outside).
- L2 Twin Outside (2 passengers, 1 double bed, 2 windows, size 21 m2 / 225 ft2)
- A4 Quad Outside "Pet Cabin" (4 passengers, 2 lower single beds + 2 bunk beds, 1 window, size 11 m2 / 120 ft2)
- A3 Triple Outside (3 passengers, 2 lower single beds, bunk bed, 1 window, size 11 m2 / 120 ft2)
- A2 Twin Outside (2 passengers, 1 lower single bed + 1 bunk bed, 1 window, size 8 m2 / 85 ft2)
- AB4 Quad Inside (4 passengers, 2 lower single beds + 2 bunk beds, size 11 m2 / 120 ft2)
- ABB2 Twin Inside "Pet Cabin" (2 passengers, 1 lower single bed + 1 bunk bed, size 8 m2 / 85 ft2)
- All cabins are fitted with a refrigerator, LCD TV (satellite reception), phone, electronic safe, hairdryer, trouser press, small writing table with chair, private bathroom (WC / shower configuration), air-conditioning.
The ship additionally has 180 reclining seats (airline-type / flight recliner chairs). Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Finnclipper ship offers:
- Buffet (self-service restaurant, hot and cold meals, included in the one-way ferry price). Water and milk are included with all meals. A selection of juices is offered at breakfast and brunch.
- Cafe Bar (located next to the buffet restaurant) is the ship's patisserie/cafeteria selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks, wine by the glass, beers and other alcoholic beverages.
- Kids Corner is a video games room fitted with arcade machines.
- Sailor's Shop is a duty-free store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (spirits, wines, beers), tobaccos, name-brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, fashion clothing and accessories, leather goods, designer sunglasses, jewelry, toys, confectionery, gadgets and electronics, books, magazines, newspapers, convenience goods and travel essentials.
- free Wi-Fi (limited coverage on deck 7)
- ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- Pets Exercising Area (outdoor on deck 7)
The Heli Deck (top-deck) has a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All lounges are fitted with large flat TVs. Passengers in the Reclining Seat Lounge are provided with portable DVD players.
The ship has no medicine cabinet (infirmary/doctor's office) and doesn't provide medical service for passengers. However, there are always crew members trained in first aid.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
FINNLINES ferry deals
On the Finland-Sweden route, FINNLINES ferry ticket prices are inclusive of 2 buffet meals (Kapellskar-Naantali) and 1 buffet meal (Kapellskar-Langnas Aland). Ticket sales on the Sweden-Aland route (Langnas-Kapellskar) end 6 hours prior departure. On the Aland-Finland (Langnas-Naantali) route, ticket sales end 4,5 hours prior departure. Duty-free shopping is available only on the Sweden-Finland crossings with itineraries that stop at Aland Islands.
Baltic Sea ferry cruise deals by FINNLINES are offered only on the routes between Germany and Finland (Travemunde-Helsinki). FINNLINES ferry cruise deals offer free travel for the 3rd and 4th passenger in a quad cabin with 2 adults (in one booking). On the Finland-Germany routes, neither recliner seats or shared cabin beds can be booked for kids under 13 yo.
Except on Finland-Sweden routes, meals are not included in the fares. Discount-priced dining packages can be purchased upon booking. Meals can be also purchased separately on the ship. Meal prices are inclusive of drinks (water, milk, juice, coffee, tea). On Finland-Germany routes, the "Dinner Superior" package includes as beverages the standard water, milk, juice, coffee, tea, as well as draught beer, wine by the glass and selected soft drinks.
Children traveling alone or in a group (without a legal guardian) must show their parents / legal guardian's written consent. Teenagers (14-17 yo) can travel alone but are charged an adult's ticket fee. Kids under 14 years old must have a named legal guardian responsible for them during the crossing.
Passengers booking longer ferry deals (return, roundtrip or multi-leg voyage) receive 20% discount on all ferry crossings following the first trip. The discount requires the booking of all legs of the itinerary at the same time. If the first part of the voyage is canceled, the return or multi-leg discount will be removed from the new first section.
Star Club members (by the company's "Finnlines Star Club Loyalty Program") enjoy the following membership discounts:
- 3% off on all ferry fares (passenger, cabin, vehicle)
- an exclusive loyal customer only discounts (received via email) a few times a year
- up to 20% off on selected onboard beverages (offered in the ship's bars and restaurants)
- 5% off on onboard shopping (confectionery, perfumes, skincare products, accessories, souvenirs) in the Sailor's Shop
- an exclusive loyal customer only discounts on onboard food, drinks, and shopping
- Star Club membership discounts are granted on all campaign fares too.
Pets on the ship
All FINNLINES ferries allow pets onboard. However, passengers with pets are required to book a pet cabin, and only in morning and day departures. The number of allowed pets per cabin is 2. Along with pet cabins, the ship also provides an outdoor walking area and tree stumps.
- All pets must be notified upon booking.
- Pets are not allowed in the ship's public areas (including bars, restaurants, sauna).
- Leaving the animals in the vehicles during the voyage is forbidden.
- Ferry fares for pets (prices per animal, one-way voyage) are as follows: Travemunde-Helsinki (EUR 70), Travemunde-Malmo (EUR 20), Kapellskar-Langnas Aland-Naantali (EUR 20).
As freight, FINNLINES ships allow transportation of semi-trailers, lorries (with or without a driver), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without a driver), caravans, camper vans (without a driver), cargo containers, mobile machinery, agricultural machines, boats (on cradle), as well as forest and steel industry products.
Private vehicle passenger services (cars, motorcycles, vans and camper vans with drivers) are offered only on the routes Helsinki-Travemunde, Naantali-Langnas Aland-Kapellskar, and Malmo-Travemunde.
The ferry has 3 garage decks (for vehicles) accessible via 1 bow and 1 stern ramp (length 18,5 m / 61 ft, width 6,5 m / 21 ft). The aft cargo deck passage is 6,5 m (21 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high. The bow ramp is 14 m (46 ft) long and 19,5 m (64 ft) wide. The cargo deck passage is 20 m (66 ft) wide and 5,2 m (17 ft) high.
All vehicle decks are connected via ramps. Lower garage deck (for trucks and freight) has 5 lanes/tracks, while the middle and upper decks (car decks) are with 7 lanes each. The middle car deck is divided by longitudinal bulkheads in 3, which increases its vehicle capacity. The above 3 decks are for passenger facilities.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Finnlines (fleet, 1947-founded, headquartered in Helsinki Finland, part of Grimaldi Group) provides passenger and ro-ro ferry services predominantly in Northern Europe (Baltic Sea and the North Sea). Finnlines ferries connect the countries Finland, Russia, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, UK, Spain.
Finnclipper ferry - user reviews and comments
Other BALEARIA cruise ships
Finnclipper ferry Wiki
The vessel's hull is ice-reinforced and rated with ice-class 1A, which means it is able to navigate alone (without icebreaking vessel assistance) in most ice conditions. The ship is powered by four SULZER marine diesel engines (8-cylinder, model 8ZAL40S, total output 24 MW). The vessel has an ice-strengthened hull (ice class 1A) which allows year-round operations on Baltic Sea routes with extreme ice conditions. The liner has stabilizers and is equipped with an anti-heeling system allowing it to maintain stability during loading. It automatically detects the vessel's heeling angle and compensates by using a water pump system.
The ferry was ordered by STENA LINE on October 6, 1995, and was first chartered by FINNLINES on June 25, 1997. On May 19, 1999, the ship was transferred to STEAN LINE and homeported in Gothenburg. Following the transfer, the shipping company Poseidon Schiffahrt AG (FINNLINES partner in Germany) purchased the vessel and homeported it in Lubeck (Travemunde). On June 10, 1999, the ship was deployed on the Germany-Finland route Travemunde-Helsinki. On December 19, 2001, the ferry was homeported in Helsinki.
In November 2004, the vessel was acquired by the Swedish company "RoPax I Clipper AB" and homeported in Malmo. In 2005 (January 2 thru April 18) it was operated by NordoLink on the route Malmo-Travemunde.
In 2018 through 2021, the ship (renamed to "Rosalind Franklin") was chartered to BALEARIA to serve the Spain-Balearic Islands route Barcelona-(Valencia)-Palma de Mallorca (crossing time ~7 hours). Following the charter deal, the flag-state / fegistry was changed from Sweden (MMSI 266192000) to Cyprus (MMSI 209293000).
Since January 2022, Finnclipper is deployed on the Germany-Sweden route Travemunde-Malmo.
In November 2018, BALEARIA started a EUR 443 million (USD 520M) drydock reconstruction project for nine ferries to be retrofitted/converted to LNG (liquified natural gas). The project was partially (20%) funded by CEF (Connecting Europe Facility).
All drydocks (at Gibraltar Gibdock and West Sea's Viana Shipyard) included modifying the diesel engines (to MAN dual-fuel) and installing LNG tanks. Each ship now has dual-fuel (LNG-diesel) MAN marine engines (model 9L-51-60-DF). The Wartsila-made LNG tanks (one or two per vessel) are able to store up to 425 m3 LNG, which allows autonomous operations up to 1800 km (1100 mi). Onboard gas pipes are from Cryospain (Madrid-based). The project as engineering was designed by Cotenaval (Valencia-based).
The fleet retrofitting resulted in fuel savings, with expected annual emissions reduction per vessel 9113+ tons (CO2) and 871+ tons (NOx) plus zero SOx emissions and no soot particles. Ferry's annual CO2 reduction is equal to the emissions of ~6000 cars.