Finnstar ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Finnstar ferry
|Year built||2006 / Age : 12|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Castellammare di Stabia / Naples, Italy)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Helsinki-Travemunde|
|Building cost||EUR 115 million|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||219 m / 719 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||45923 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Europalink, Nordlink, Finnlady, Finnmaid|
Review of Finnstar ferry
MS Finnstar ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Finland-based company FINNLINES. The ship has max capacity of 554 passengers and 366 cars (or 280 trailers / trucks). The vessel was launched in 2006 and currently operates on the Finland-Germany ferry route Helsinki-Travemunde (crossing time 27-29 hours).
As cruiseferry, Finnstar has 205 cabins with a total of 554 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. All cabins are located on decks 7, 8 and 9, and are available in 9 categories (inside and outside). These categories as sizes vary from 10 m2 (110 ft2) Interior Cabin to 38 m2 (410 ft2) Suites. For families with kids there are spacious staterooms equipped with a double bed and bunk bed.
- (2, on deck 8) OS4 Owner Suite (4 passengers, 1 double bed, 2-person / double sofabed, large windows, size 38 m2 / 410 ft2)
- (2, on deck 9) JS4 Junior Suite (4 passengers, 1 double bed, 2-person / double sofabed, large windows, size 32 m2 / 345 ft2)
- (on decks 7-8-9) Outside LUX Cabin (4 passengers, 1 double bed, 1 single bed, 1 bunk bed, size 16-20 m2 / 170-215 ft2)
- (34, on decks 8-9) A4 - Quad Outside (4 passengers, 2 lower single beds, 1 sofa bed, 1 bunk bed, size 16 m2 / 170 ft2)
- (2, on deck 9) A3D - Triple Outside (disabled, 2 lower single beds, 1 bunk bed, size 16 m2 / 170 ft2). These staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
- (62, on decks 7-9) A2 / A4S - Quad Outside (2-4 passengers, 2 lower single beds, plus 2 bunk beds in A4S, size 10 m2 / 110 ft2)
- (99, on decks 7-8-9) AB3 / AB4 - Quad Inside (3-4 passengers, 2 lower single beds, 1 or 2 bunk beds, size 10 m2 / 110 ft2)
- (on decks 7-8-9) FA2B / MA2B - Shared Outside (2 lower single beds, size 10 m2 / 110 ft2)
- (on decks 7-8-9) FB3B / FB4B / MB3B / MB4B - Shared Inside (2 lower single beds, 1 or 2 upper beds, size 10 m2 / 110 ft2)
- All cabins are fitted with refridgerator, flat TV (satellite reception), phone, electronic safe, hairdryer, trouser press, small writing table with chair, private bathroom (WC / shower configuration), air-conditioning.
- The ship has a total of 4 Suites. Passenger Suite deals are inclusive of dining packages, 1 bottle of sparkling wine, 1 box of chocolate-covered marshmallows, minibar beverages, 1 drink coupon pp, skincare products.
- Deluxe / LUX Cabin deals are inclusive of 1 bottle of water, 1 bottle of wine (Bottega Gold Prosecco Brut).
The ship additionally has reclining seats (airline-type recliners / leather armchairs) located on Deck 12.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Finnstar ship offers:
- Mare Balticum Buffet (self-service restaurant, hot and cold meals, included in the one-way ferry price). Water and milk are included with all meals. A selection of juices is offered at breakfast and brunch. The restaurant offers Star Class theme weeks.
- Cafe Bar (located next to the buffet restaurant) is the ship's patisserie / cafeteria selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot / cold drinks, wine by the glass, beers and other alcohol beverages.
- Bar Bistro Navigare (Deck 11, live music)
- Conference Room (Hansa Cabinet) is a 50-seat ponoramic meeting room that can be booked for various private group events (trainings, lectures, company meetings). The conference room is fully equipped with modern presentation (sound and media) equipment, including wall-mounted large TV and ClickShare Wireless.
- Reserved Seating Lounge on Deck 12 offers 61 air seats (aka Pullman seats / fully reclining leather armchairs).
- Kids Playroom is an indoor playground / softplay area with large windows, games, toys, books, large TV for watching cartoons, ball pit, supervised activities, theme characters entertainment (Mrs Lady, Miss Maid, Mr Star, "Icebreaker Snow" characters).
- Video Games Room (arcade machines)
- Teen Lounge (with graffiti painted walls, table football)
- Sailor's Shop is a duty-free store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (spirits, wines, beers), tobaccos, name-brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, fashion clothing and accessories, leather goods, designer sunglasses, jewelry, toys, confectionery, gadgets and electronics, books, magazines, newspapers, convenience goods and travel essentials.
- Fitness (Gymstick Gym, open between 7 am -10 pm, age limit 15 yo) is equipped with treadmill, crosstrainer, rowing machine, exercise bikes, benches, fitness balls, premium dumbbells.
- Spa (Massage Room, 2 Sauna Rooms / for men and women, 1 large jacuzzi) are located on Deck 11. Massages are in 30-, 45- and 60-min sessions. Both saunas are open throughout the voyage and are ticket price inclusive (free of charge).
- free Wi-Fi (limited coverage on deck 11)
- ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on deck 7)
- Pets Exercising Area
- Terrazzo Outer Deck is the ship's Sun Deck served by its own Bar Lounge. The outdoor area is fitted with deckchairs and protected by a wind shield keeping it warmer in windy weather and also providing protection from the sun during summer. Serving as second Sun Deck is the ship's Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
- All lounges are fitted with large flat TVs. Passengers in the Reclining Seat Lounge are provided with portable DVD players.
- All public passenger facilities and services are on deck 11.
- The ship has no medicine cabinet (infirmary / doctor's office) and doesn't provide medical service for passengers. However, there are always crew members trained in first aid.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
FINNLINES ferry deals
On the Finland-Sweden route, FINNLINES ferry ticket prices are inclusive of 2 buffet meals (Kapellskar-Naantali) and 1 buffet meal (Kapellskar-Langnas Aland). Ticket sales on the Sweden-Aland route (Langnas-Kapellskar) end 6 hours prior departure. On the route Aland-Finland (Langnas-Naantali) ticket sales end 4,5 hours prior departure. Duty-free shopping is available only on the Sweden-Finland crossings with itineraries that stop at Aland Islands.
Baltic Sea ferry cruise deals by FINNLINES are offered only on the routes between Germany and Finland (Travemunde-Helsinki). FINNLINES ferry cruise deals offer free travel for the 3rd and 4th passenger in a quad cabin with 2 adults (in one booking). On the Finland-Germany routes, neither recliner seats or shared cabin beds can be booked for kids under 13 yo.
Except on Finland-Sweden routes, meals are not included in the fares. Discount-priced dining packages can be purchased upon booking. Meals can be also purchased separately on the ship. Meal prices are inclusive of drinks (water, milk, juice, coffee, tea). On Finland-Germany routes, the "Dinner Superior" package includes as beverages the standard water, milk, juice, coffee, tea, as well as draught beer, wine by the glass and selected soft drinks.
Children travelling alone or in a group (without a legal guardian) must show their parents / legal guardian's written consent. Teenagers (14-17 yo) can travel alone, but are charged adult's ticket fee. Kids under 14 yo must have a named legal guardian responsible for them during the crossing.
Passengers booking longer ferry deals (return, roundtrip or multi-leg voyage) receive 20% discount on all ferry crossings following the first trip. The discount requires booking of all legs of the itinerary at the same time. If the first part of the voyage is cancelled, the return or multi-leg discount will be removed from the new first section.
Star Club members (by the company's "Finnlines Star Club Loyalty Program") enjoy the following membership discounts:
- 3% off on all ferry fares (passenger, cabin, vehicle)
- exclusive loyal customer only discounts (received via email) a few times a year
- up to 20% off on selected onboard beverages (oofered in the ship's bars and restaurants)
- 5% off on onboard shopping (confectionery, perfumes, skincare products, accessories, souvenirs) in the Sailor's Shop
- exclusive loyal customer only discounts on onboard food, drinks and shopping
- Star Club membership discounts are granted on all campaign fares too.
Pets on the ship
All FINNLINES ferries allow pets onboard. However, passengers with pets are required to book a pet cabin, and only on morning and day departures. The number of allowed pets per cabin is 2. Along with pet cabins, the ship also provides an outdoor walking area and tree stumps.
- All pets must be notified upon booking.
- Pets are not allowed in the ship's public areas (including bars, restaurants, sauna).
- Leaving the animals in the vehicles during the voyage is forbidden.
- Ferry fares for pets (prices per animal, one-way voyage) are as follows: Travemunde-Helsinki (EUR 70), Travemunde-Malmo (EUR 20), Kapellskar-Langnas Aland-Naantali (EUR 20).
As freight, FINNLINES ships allow transportation of semi-trailers, lorries (with or without a driver), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without a driver), caravans, camper vans (without a driver), cargo containers, mobile machinery, agricultural machines, boats (on cradle), as well as forest and steel industry products.
Private vehicle passenger services (cars, motorcycles, vans and camper vans with drivers) are offered only on the routes Helsinki-Travemunde, Naantali-Langnas Aland-Kapellskar, and Malmo-Travemunde.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Finnlines (founded in 1947, headquartered in Helsinki Finland, part of Grimaldi Group) provides passenger and ro-ro ferry services predominantly in Northern Europe (Baltic Sea and North Sea). Finnlines ferries connect the countries Finland, Russia, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, UK, Spain. Finnlines current fleet includes the ships Finnclipper, Finnfellow, Finnlady, Finnmaid, Finnpartner, Finnstar, Finntrader, Europalink, Finnswan.
Finnstar ferry wiki
- Finnstar is the first in the ordered by GRIMALDI GROUP series of all 5 Star-class ferries built by the Italian shipbuilding company Fincantieri. The ship was delivered in July 2006. All these Ro-Ro vessels were initially ordered for FINNLINES to serve the Baltic Sea routes Finland-Germany (Helsinki-Travemunde) and Sweden-Germany (Malmo-Travemunde). All Star-class ferries are with ice-strengthened hulls (classed "1A Super") allowing shipping operations in icy waters without icebreaking vessel assistance.
- The ship's power plant includes 4x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model 9L46D, 5-cylinder, total power output 48 MW). The ship also carry reefers (refrigerated containers) - max capacity 192 units.
- The last drydock refurbishment was in 2018 (February 12 - March 5).