Specifications of Finnsirius ferry
|Year built||2023 new ship|
|Builder||AVIC CMI Jinling Weihai Shipyard (Weihai, China)|
|Class||FINNLINES SUPERSTAR cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Kapellskar-Langnas (Aland)-Naantali|
|Building cost||EUR 100 million (USD 120 million)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||235 m / 771 ft|
|Beam (width)||33 m / 108 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||68460 gt|
|Passengers||1100 - 1212|
Finnsirius ferry Review
Review of Finnsirius ferry
MS Finnsirius ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel of the Finland-based company FINNLINES. The ship has a max capacity of 1100 passengers and cargo capacity 200 cars plus 290 semi-trailers (or 250 trucks). The vessel (currently under construction) is scheduled for inauguration in July 2023, to operate the Sweden-Finland ferry route Kapellskar-Naantali (via Aland Islands/Langnas) with crossing time 8-9 hours. Port Naantali, is located approx 15 km (9 mi) west of Turku.
As cruise ferry, Finnsirius has 323 cabins with a total of 1212 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. All cabins are located on deck 8 and available in 6 categories (inside and outside).
- L2 Twin Outside (2 passengers, 1 double bed, 2 windows)
- A4 Quad Outside "Pet Cabin" (4 passengers, 2 lower single beds + 2 bunk beds, 1 window)
- A3 Triple Outside (3 passengers, 2 lower single beds, bunk bed, 1 window)
- A2 Twin Outside (2 passengers, 1 lower single bed + 1 bunk bed, 1 window)
- AB4 Quad Inside (4 passengers, 2 lower single beds + 2 bunk beds)
- ABB2 Twin Inside "Pet Cabin" (2 passengers, 1 lower single bed + 1 bunk bed)
- Note: New categories of staterooms will be announced at a later date.
All cabins are fitted with a refrigerator, LCD TV (satellite reception), phone, electronic safe box, hairdryer, trouser press, small writing table with chair, private bathroom (WC / shower configuration), air-conditioning.
The ship additionally has reclining seats (airline-type recliner chairs). Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
If you're interested in maritime technology and construction updates, see the ship's Wiki section.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Finnsirius ship offers plenty of public areas and services, including an Arcade (gaming area), Duty-Free Shop (sized 400 m2 / 4300 ft2 / fleet's largest), new cabin categories, a large wellness complex (Spa, Gym, Yoga Studio), a-la-carte-priced restaurant.
- Buffet (self-service restaurant, hot and cold meals, included in the one-way ferry price). Water and milk are included with all meals. A selection of juices is offered at breakfast and brunch.
- Cafe Bar (patisserie/cafeteria selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks, wine by the glass, beers and other alcoholic beverages)
- Kids Corner (video games room with arcade machines)
- Sailor's Shop (duty-free store selling gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (spirits, wines, beers), tobaccos, name-brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, fashion clothing and accessories, leather goods, designer sunglasses, jewelry, toys, confectionery, gadgets and electronics, books, magazines, newspapers, convenience goods and travel essentials.
- Reclining Seat Lounge (with leather chairs)
- free Wi-Fi (shipwide coverage)
- ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- Pets Exercising Area
- Heli Deck (top-deck) with a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All lounges are fitted with large HDTVs. All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
The ship has no medicine cabinet (infirmary/doctor's office) and doesn't provide medical service for passengers. However, there are always crew members trained in first aid.
More details on staterooms and venues will be announced in the coming months.
FINNLINES ferry deals
On the Finland-Sweden route, FINNLINES ferry ticket prices are inclusive of 2 buffet meals (Kapellskar-Naantali) and 1 buffet meal (Kapellskar-Langnas Aland). Ticket sales on the Sweden-Aland route (Langnas-Kapellskar) end 6 hours prior departure. On the Aland-Finland (Langnas-Naantali) route, ticket sales end 4,5 hours prior departure. Duty-free shopping is available only on the Sweden-Finland crossings with itineraries that stop at Aland Islands.
Baltic Sea ferry cruise deals by FINNLINES are offered only on the routes between Germany and Finland (Travemunde-Helsinki). FINNLINES ferry cruise deals offer free travel for the 3rd and 4th passenger in a quad cabin with 2 adults (in one booking). On the Finland-Germany routes, neither recliner seats or shared cabin beds can be booked for kids under 13 yo.
Except on Finland-Sweden routes, meals are not included in the fares. Discount-priced dining packages can be purchased upon booking. Meals can be also purchased separately on the ship. Meal prices are inclusive of drinks (water, milk, juice, coffee, tea). On Finland-Germany routes, the "Dinner Superior" package includes as beverages the standard water, milk, juice, coffee, tea, as well as draught beer, wine by the glass and selected soft drinks.
Children traveling alone or in a group (without a legal guardian) must show their parents / legal guardian's written consent. Teenagers (14-17 yo) can travel alone but are charged an adult's ticket fee. Kids under 14 years old must have a named legal guardian responsible for them during the crossing.
Passengers booking longer ferry deals (return, roundtrip or multi-leg voyage) receive 20% discount on all ferry crossings following the first trip. The discount requires the booking of all legs of the itinerary at the same time. If the first part of the voyage is canceled, the return or multi-leg discount will be removed from the new first section.
Star Club members (by the company's "Finnlines Star Club Loyalty Program") enjoy the following membership discounts:
- 3% off on all ferry fares (passenger, cabin, vehicle)
- an exclusive loyal customer only discounts (received via email) a few times a year
- up to 20% off on selected onboard beverages (offered in the ship's bars and restaurants)
- 5% off on onboard shopping (confectionery, perfumes, skincare products, accessories, souvenirs) in the Sailor's Shop
- an exclusive loyal customer only discounts on onboard food, drinks, and shopping
Star Club membership discounts are granted on all campaign fares too.
Pets on the ship
All FINNLINES ferries allow pets onboard. However, passengers with pets are required to book a pet cabin, and only in morning and day departures. The number of allowed pets per cabin is 2. Along with pet cabins, the ship also provides an outdoor walking area and tree stumps.
- All pets must be notified upon booking.
- Pets are not allowed in the ship's public areas (including bars, restaurants, sauna).
- Leaving the animals in the vehicles during the voyage is forbidden.
As freight, FINNLINES ships allow transportation of semi-trailers, lorries (with or without a driver), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without a driver), caravans, camper vans (without a driver), cargo containers, mobile machinery, agricultural machines, boats (on cradle), as well as forest and steel industry products.
Private vehicle passenger services (cars, motorcycles, vans and camper vans with drivers) are offered only on the routes Helsinki-Travemunde, Naantali-Langnas Aland-Kapellskar, and Malmo-Travemunde.
The ferry has 3 garage decks (for vehicles) accessible via 1 bow and 1 stern ramp. All vehicle decks are connected via ramps. Lower garage deck (for trucks and freight) has 5 lanes/tracks, while the middle and upper decks (car decks) are with 7 lanes each. The middle car deck is divided by longitudinal bulkheads in 3, which increases its vehicle capacity. The above 3 decks are for passenger facilities.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Finnlines (fleet, 1947-founded, headquartered in Helsinki Finland, part of Grimaldi Group) provides passenger and ro-ro ferry services predominantly in Northern Europe (Baltic Sea and the North Sea). Finnlines ferries connect the countries Finland, Russia, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, UK, Spain.
Finnsirius ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Finnsirius ferryAdd Photo
Other FINNLINES cruise ships
Finnsirius ferry Wiki
MS Finnsirius is the first of two Ro-Pax ships (newbuild cruiseferries) currently under construction in China (at CMJL-China Merchants Jinling Shipyard / fka AVIC Weihai), with sistership Finncanopus. Both units were specifically designed for FINNLINES' Sweden-Finland service on the route Kapellskar-Naantali (via Langnas Aland). Finnsirius is planned to enter service in July 2023, Finncanopus - in December 2023.
The MoU agreement (memorandum of understanding) was signed in May 2018. The shipbuilding order (for both units) was officially signed on January 8, 2020, by Emanuele Grimaldi (FINNLINES' CEO). Grimaldi Group (parent company/shipowner) also owns the ferry companies GRIMALDI LINES and MINOAN LINES.
On June 17, 2020, the shipbuilder (China Merchants Jinling) contracted Deltamarin Ltd (subsidiary of Deltamarin Group / 1990-founded) specializing in ship design and offshore engineering-construction-support services.
- For the project, Deltamarin provided the shipbuilder with design and consultancy services.
- The contract was signed by Justin Liu (CMJL Shipyard's Deputy General Manager) and Janne Uotila (Deltamarin's Managing Director).
- Since 2012, Deltamarin Group's majority shareholder is AVIC (Aviation Industry Corporation of China).
On October 8, 2020, Kongsberg Maritime signed a contract with China Merchants to deliver the ships' propulsion and navigation systems (contract value ~EUR 12 million / USD ~15M).
- The contract was signed by Weisong Ni (CMJL Shipyard's Vice General Manager) and Egil Haugsdal (Kongsberg Maritime's President).
- Kongsberg Maritime is part of KOG-Kongsberg Gruppen (1814-founded company) specializing in high-technology systems for the marine, defense, aerospace, offshore (oil and gas) and renewable energy industries. Kongsberg Maritime specializes in the design and construction of positioning, navigation and automation systems for merchant vessels and offshore platforms.
For this shipbuilding project (two units) FINNLINES invested around EUR 200 million (~USD 245M / ~GBP 172M). The project is part of the company's EUR 500 million (~USD 600M) newbuilding program which additionally included 3x RO-RO vessels (ships for transportation of wheeled cargo) fitted with hybrid engines (lithium-ion batteries are recharged during the voyage). The three Ro-Ro ships are with DWT tonnage 17400 tons, LOA length 238 m, cargo capacity 5800 lanemetres (1160 cars or 340 trucks), car decks 5600 m2, TEU-container capacity 300 units (stored on the weather deck). For designing all these vessels (cruise and cargo) was contracted KNUD E. HANSEN (Danish marine engineering company). KNUD HANSEN's original design was for length 216,5 m (LOA 229,5 m), DWT 11500 tons, max capacity 1212 passengers, passenger cabins 323.
The new cruise ships are from the company's SUPERSTAR class, with "A1-Super" (ice class) hulls, passenger capacity 1100 (max 1212), length 229 m (751 ft), LOA length 235 m (771 ft), draft 7 m (23 ft), cargo capacity 5100 lanemetres (allowing parking space for 200 cars and 290 semi-trailers / or 250 trucks), GT tonnage/volume 68460 tons. The powerplant is based on four Wartsila 46F diesel engines (total power output 28,8 MW). The propulsion system is based on two CPPs (controllable pitch propellers). The engines can run on both MDO (marine diesel oil) and HFO (heavy fuel oil).
As technology, the vessels feature modern marine diesel engines (to reduce fuel consumption), an under-keel hull air lubrication system (reducing friction to increase energy/fuel efficiency), an advanced ballast water treatment system (for protecting Baltic Sea's marine environment), shore-side power capabilities (allowing them to receive city grid electricity while berthed in seaports, which eliminates greenhouse gas emissions and reduces noises in homeports), air pollution-reducing Exhaust Emission Abatement systems (SCR-Selective Catalytic Reduction, EGR-Exhaust Gas Recirculation, SOx scrubbers), engine heat recovery system, auto-mooring system (for faster and safer docking/berthing).
In accordance with FINNLINES' sustainable policies, the ships also have LED lighting (Intelligent management system), smart control air-conditioning system, furniture produced from recycled materials.
Designed for max speed 20,5 knots, both vessels are fitted with a two-speed reduction gearbox (twin shaft line allows optimized performance at speed 16 KN with 2x engines and 19 KN - with all 4x engines), which improves the efficiency of the propulsion system. By capacity, these ships are ~40% larger than the ones currently deployed on the Finland-Sweden route.
Finnsirius ferry's construction officially started on June 1, 2021, with the steel-cutting ceremony held at the Jinling Shipyard (in Weihai China) owned by CMI (China Merchants Industry Group Co Ltd).
MS Finnsirius ship (IMO 9902419) is currently scheduled for keel-laying in March 2022, launch (float out from drydock) in August 2022, delivery in May 2023, and to enter service for FINNLINES in July 2023.
Finnsirius ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review