MS Verdi Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Verdi
|Year built||2001 / Age : 17|
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyards (Kinderdijk, Holland)|
|Operator||SijFa Cruises (Holland)|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||114 m / 374 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Viking Pride, Viking Spirit, Viking Europe|
|Former names||Viking Neptune|
|Christened by||Noreen Doyle|
Review of MS Verdi
MS Verdi cruise ship (formerly "MS Viking Neptune") was the 2nd of all four Viking River Cruises ships operating in France, with sisterships Viking Pride, Viking Spirit and Viking Europe (now Carmen). Currently, the ship is owned by the German corporation Premicon AG (via the subsidiary Premicon Rhein Donau Flussschiffahrts GmbH) and operated under charter by the companies Transocean Kreuzfahrten (Germany) and SijFa Cruises (Holland). Its SijFa fleetmates are MS Rigoletto and MS Carmen.
Ship's last drydock refurbishment was in 2017, during which the vessel was completely renovated and renamed.
MS Verdi has a total of 75 staterooms (12 Standard and 63 Deluxe), all of which are outside. All Upper Deck cabins are with French balconies - floor-ceiling sliding glass-doors opening to a balconet (false balcony). Middle Deck cabins (deck 2 midship-aft) are semi-French Balcony - with sliding windows.
Main Deck cabins (deck 2 forward) are with non-opening panoramic window. Lower Deck cabins are sized 11 m2 (120 ft2) and have two smaller, square-shaped Porthole windows (non-opening) located near the ceiling. Most cabins are sized 14 m2 (150 ft2), excepting the two Junior Suites (midship Middle Deck), each sized 18 m2 (195 ft2).
All MS Verdi cabins offer as standard amenities double bed (convertible to twins), bedside tables with lamps, underbed storage space (for suitcases), armchair, mirrored vanity table (writing desk) with chair, drawers, phone, mini-bar fridge, wardrobe with hangers, electronic safe box (in the closet), flat HDTV, individually controlled air-conditioning, en-suite bathroom (WC, glass-door shower, single-sink vanity, undersink shelve, mirrored cabinets, hairdryer, towels, bath products, bathrobes /slippers upon request), free Wi-Fi Internet (shipwide coverage), bottled water (supplied daily).
Door access and power / lighting is via cards.
The Verdi ship features a fore-located indoor Lounge and Bar (with panoramic frloor-ceiling windows), an aft Restaurant (with 2 walls covered with large panoramic windows), Boutique Shop (gifts and souvenirs), Library, Card Room, spacious lobby with Reception Desk, Sun Deck with shaded seating (retractable awnings), sunbathing area (with loungers and deckchairs) transparent glass shields (for wind protection).
The ship has one elevator (lift connecting all cabin decks). There is no elevator access to Sun Deck (accessible only via aft stairs). Passengers with disabilities are served by a hydraulic chairlift linking decks Upper and Sun. Sun Deck aft is a designated smoking area.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
MS Verdi wiki
- Viking river cruise deals were inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all France tours/excursions and land transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water. To/from riverboat transfers and airport meet-and-greet services were included in the fares only when airfares were purchased through Viking Cruises.
- Viking Neptune cruises on Seine River departed from Paris City. The new series "Viking longships" in France are Buri, Delling, Forseti, Heimdal, Hermod.
- Viking Neptune was launched in 2001 and christened by Mrs Noreen Doyle - at that time first VP of EBRD ("European Bank for Reconstruction and Development"), now retired. The 28th Viking ship’s naming ceremony was held in Mainz Germany on August 9. The riverboat was named after the Roman sea god Neptune, brother of Pluto and Jupiter. Name’s etymology suggests as roots “nuptu” (moist), also napat/napa/nepe – all signifying an abundance of water.
Viking Neptune cruise itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Neptune cruisetour itineraries as themes:
"PARIS and THE HEART OF NORMANDY" are 7-days Seine river cruises from Paris (round-trip). These deals are inclusive of 6 complimentary land tours/excursions.
- Day 1 - Paris (embarkation, overnight)
- Day 2 - half-day long Paris bus tour
- Day 3 - Vernon, short coach travel to Giverny (gardens, Claude Monet farmhouse).
- Day 4 - scenic Normandy river cruise to Rouen (overnight dock)
- Day 5 - full-day long Normandy Beaches tour (WWII-themed, visiting American Military Cemetery, D-Day Museum)
- Day 6 - Les Andelys (Chateau Gaillard castle tour), evening arrival in Conflans (overnight dock)
- Day 7 - Conflans walk tour, with optional tour to Versailles Palace, afternoon Seine cruise to Paris
- Day 8 - disembarkation, with an optional 3-night Paris luxury hotel package.
Next are listed two exemplary itinerary routes with port dates:
- 6-day from Paris - Nov 05 (Paris departure), Nov 06 (Vernon), Nov 07 (Rouen), Nov 08 (Normandy Beaches), Nov 09 (Les Andelys), Nov 10 (Conflans-Sainte-Honorine), Nov 11 (Paris debarkation)
- ("Cruising Only") 5-day from Paris - Nov 12 (Paris departure), Nov 13 (Giverny), Nov 13 (Vernon), Nov 14 (Rouen), Nov 15 (Normandy Beaches), Nov 16 (Les Andelys), Nov 16 - Nov 17 (Conflans-Sainte-Honorine), Nov 17 (Paris debarkation).