Northern Adventure ferry current position
Northern Adventure ferry current location is at North America West Coast (coordinates 49.12468 N / -123.08567 W) cruising en route to DEAS DOCK FRASER RIV. The AIS position was reported 15 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Northern Adventure ferry
|Year built||2004 / Age: 16|
|Builder||Shipyard Atsalkis (Perama, Greece)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Prince Rupert-Port Hardy (Vancouver Island), Prince Rupert-Skidegate (Graham Island, Haida Gwaii)|
|Building cost||EUR 36 million (CAD 51 million)|
|Owner||BRITISH COLUMBIA FERRY SERVICES INC|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||117 m / 384 ft|
|Beam (width)||20 m / 66 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||9844 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||Adamantios Korais, Sonia X, Sonia|
Northern Adventure ferry Review
Review of Northern Adventure ferry
MS Northern Adventure ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Canadian company BC FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 600 passengers and 87 cars. The vessel was launched in 2004 and currently operates on the "Inside Passage" (Kaien Island-Vancouver Island) ferry route Prince Rupert-Port Hardy (crossing time 21,5 hours, during summer), as well as on the "Haida Gwaii" ferry route Prince Rupert-Skidegate Graham Island (crossing time 7 hours, during Fall-Winter-Spring).
As cruise ferry, Northern Adventure has a total of 74 cabins (on decks 5 and 7), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship additionally has reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories are Luxury, Outside and Inside.
- Luxury Cabins (forward on Deck 7) are beautifully appointed and fitted with flat TVs and DVD players.
- On Deck 5 are located all 4-berth Outside Cabins (Quads), as well as Quad Inside Cabins (no window views). Outside cabins are with one large round-shaped window (non-opening).
- Each stateroom is fitted with a toilet, shower, washbasin, 2 lower beds (twins / non-convertible to double bed) and wall-mounted bunk beds.
- For foot passengers, on Deck 5 are available coin-operated showers and pillow/blanket rentals.
- All passenger cabins are equipped with life jackets. Additional life vests are stowed in marked lockers on decks 6 and 7.
- Cabins can be booked onboard by checking in with the Chief Steward's Office (located midship-aft on Deck 5).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Northern Adventure ship offers:
- The Raven Lounge (movie viewing lounge located forward on Deck 6) is fitted with comfortable reclining chairs (leather recliners) and 3 large flat TVs with 40-inch screens.
- Coastal Cafe (midship on Deck 6) is a self-serve buffet restaurant furnished with 4-seat dining tables. The Cafe offers a wide variety of healthy and fast food items, such as Bread Garden panini sandwiches, burgers and fries, wraps, sushi, fresh-made salads, hot and cold entrees ("White Spot" food station), dinner plates, Pirate Paks (kids menu), carving station, various breads, desserts, light snacks, beverages (including beer and wine by the glass).
- Coast Cafe Express (deck 6) offers delicious snacks, freshly baked food, hot and cold beverages (including Starbucks coffee drinks).
- Passages Gift Shop (midship on Deck 6) has a great selection of gifts, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, beauty products (brand cosmetics and skincare), fashion and casual clothing, toys, books, magazines, aboriginal silver giftware, travel essentials. The boutique sells premium brands, like Killtec (sports clothing), Helly Hansen (outdoor apparel and shoes), Nine West (shoes, handbags).
- At the Reception Desk (Purser's Square on Deck 5 aft) provides passengers with 24-hour assistance, cabin booking, purser services, information on British Columbia tourist and leisure destinations, as well as info on all onboard amenities and services.
- Kids Zone (forward on Deck 6) is an indoor playground / nautically-themed room for children. The room has large windows and s fitted with comfortable leather chairs, toys, and TVs for watching cartoons and playing DVDs.
- Elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks
- Pet Area
- First Aid Room (Doctor's Office, midship-aft on Deck 5)
- Parents Room (forward-portside on Deck 6) is a baby changing room.
- The ship is equipped with 6 life rafts (canister-type, capacity 100 persons each) plus 3 lifeboats (capacity 60 persons each) located on decks 5, 6 and 7. There are also 2 rescue boats on Deck 7 (capacity 6 persons each) and 2 safety slides (on the deck plan legend marked as "Marine Evacuation Slide") which are used for emergency passenger evacuation.
- There are numerous fire extinguishers located in all passenger-accessible deck areas (both interior and exterior). All passenger decks are fitted with heat-sensitive sprinklers. All Vehicle Decks have installed manual deluge systems.
- For passengers with disabilities, the ship provides a limited number of wheelchairs. Reservations are required at least 24 hours before departure.
- Service dogs are permitted in ferry terminals, as well as onboard the ships.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
The ferry's decks are named as follows: Deck 7 is "Sun", decks 5-6 are "Passenger", Deck 4 is "Vehicle", Deck 3 is "Platform", Deck 2 is "Vehicle / Bus".
BC FERRIES deals
The company offers gift certificates available for purchase both online and onboard (in the Gift Shop), Denominations are in 10, 25, 50 and 100 dollars. Gift certificates can be used also for paying ferry fares, for onboard purchases (Gift Shop, Restaurant, SeaWest Lounge) and for purchasing "BC Ferries Vacations" packages.
- "BC Ferries Vacations" are "ferry and hotel" packages that combine roundtrip ferry (ship travel) with a 1-night hotel (inn) stay at discounted pricing.
- The majority of ferry-hotel packages available for booking via BC FERRIES are inclusive of 2-, 3- and 4-night accommodation (in resorts, hotels, and inns). The longest vacations are of 5-, 6-, 7- and 10-nights.
- Most 3-night accommodation package deals for island destinations are "3rd Night FREE".
- The package-inclusive ferry tickets are for 2 adults and 1 car.
- Most ferry vacation deals are inclusive of complimentary parking for BC FERRIES customers.
- These vacation/getaway package deals are offered in the following British Columbia destinations: Campbell River (also fishing trips), Cowichan Bay (Resorts), Victoria, Richmond, Vancouver, North Vancouver, Courtenay (Resorts), Chemainus,, Nanaimo, Sooke (Resorts), Tsawwassen, Langley, Burnaby, Parksville (Resorts), Ucluelet (Black Rock Resort, Shoreside Suites), Salt Spring Island (Resorts, Shoreside Cottages), Madeira Park (Resorts), Powell River (Beach Gardens Resort), Mayne Island (Resorts), Pender Island (Resorts), Quadra Island (Resorts, fishing trips), Galiano Island, Qualicum Beach, Kelowna, Whistler, Brentwood Bay, Kamloops, Penticton, Vernon (Resorts, also golfing), Tofino (Beach Lodges), Osoyoos, Port Hardy (wildlife tours, also rafting), Prince Rupert (wildlife tours), Haida Gwaii (all-inclusive package),
"Inside Passage" 1-day ferry cruises (overnight crossings) are offered in the summer (June through September) with departures from:
- (ship Northern Expedition or Northern Adventure) from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy, Bella Bella, and Klemtu
- (ships Northern Expedition and Northern Sea Wolf) from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, Bella Bella, Klemtu, Bella Coola, Ocean Falls, and Shearwater
- (ship Northern Expedition) from Bella Coola to Port Hardy, Bella Bella, Ocean Falls, and Shearwater
- (ships Northern Sea Wolf and Northern Expedition or Northern Adventure) from Bella Bella to Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, Bella Coola, Ocean Falls, and Shearwater
- (ship Northern Expedition or Northern Adventure) from Klemtu to Port Hardy, and Prince Rupert
- (ships Northern Sea Wolf and Northern Expedition or Northern Adventure) from Ocean Falls to Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Bella Bella, and Shearwater
- (ships Northern Sea Wolf and Northern Expedition or Northern Adventure) from Shearwater to Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Bella Bella, and Ocean Falls.
On select Holiday voyages, BC FERRIES offers discount fares when booking early morning and late evening departures. Ticket prices start from $39 (for 1 standard car with driver). These discounts are offered for the following destinations: Vancouver-Victoria (Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay), Vancouver-Nanaimo (Tsawwassen-Duke Point) and West Vancouver-Nanaimo (Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay).
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner BC Ferries (founded in 1960, headquartered in Victoria, BC Canada) is a Canadian state-owned company providing daily scheduled passenger and vehicle (RoPax) ferry services between mainland Canada and British Columbia islands. The company is ranked North America's largest (followed by "Washington State Ferries") and the world's 3rd largest. BC FERRIES fleet's newest and largest vessels are the two Spirit-class ships (Spirit of British Columbia, Spirit of Vancouver Island) and the three Coastal-class ships (Coastal Renaissance, Coastal Inspiration, Coastal Celebration).
Northern Adventure ferry - user reviews and comments
Northern Adventure ferry ship related cruise news
Other BC FERRIES cruise ships
Northern Adventure ferry Wiki
Vessel's construction started in 2001 (at Atsalakis Shipyards in Perama, Greece). The ship was originally named "Adamantios Korais" but during construction was renamed to "Sonia". The ship was launched in June 2004. The Italian shipowner (TTT LINES, headquartered in Naples, Italy) acquired it on July 26, 2004.
In the period 2004-2006, the ferry was chartered to serve the Trinidad-Tobago route Port of Spain-Scarborough. In 2006, the ship was chartered to the Spanish ferry company BALEARIA (headquartered in Denia Spain) for departures from Barcelona.
In 2006, the ship was purchased by BC FERRIES for EUR 35,7 million (CAD 50,6 million). Following the acquisition, the ferry was repositioned through the Panama Canal from Greece to Canada (Victoria BC). After the arrival in Canada, the ship entered drydock for extensive (USD 18 million) refit and refurbishment at Victoria Shipyards (December 2006 through March 2007). During the refit, the ferry's capacity was decreased from 1200 to 640 passengers, and from 200 to 87 cars.
Each year, the BC FERRIES company signs contracts with shipyards in British Columbia, spending over USD 60 million on fleetwide drydock refits/refurbishments and general vessel maintenance.
Northern Adventure ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review