Sun Princess Review and Specifications
Specifications of Sun Princess
|Year built||1995 / Age : 25|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||261 m / 856 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||77441 gt|
|Passengers||2016 - 2419|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||Dawn Princess (Pacific Explorer), Sea Princess|
|Christened by||Dorothy Sterling|
Current itinerary / position of Sun Princess
Sun Princess current cruise is 15 days, round-trip Papua New Guinea. Prices start from USD 1747 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 21 Mar, 2020 and ends on 05 Apr, 2020.All Itineraries Current Position
|Date / Time||Port|
|21 Mar 16:00||Departing from Sydney, NSW Australia hotels|
|25 Mar 09:00 - 20:00||Alotau, Papua New Guinea|
|26 Mar 07:00 - 18:00||Conflict Islands, Papua New Guinea|
|27 Mar 07:00 - 16:00||Kitava Island, Trobriand, Papua New Guinea|
|28 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Rabaul, New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea|
|29 Mar 09:00 - 18:00||Kiriwina Island, Trobriand, Papua New Guinea|
|31 Mar 07:00 - 17:00||Honiara, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands|
|03 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Brisbane, Queensland Australia|
|05 Apr||Arriving in Sydney, NSW Australia hotels|
Review of Sun Princess
History - construction and ownership
Princess Cruises is a US cruise company headquartered in Beverly Hills CA. A former subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises (founded 1977), in 2003, the company merged with Carnival Corporation - world's largest passenger shipping company. Among Princess Cruises assets is the Caribbean private island resort Princess Cays (on Bahamas Eleuthera Island's southern end), located approx 80 km (50 mi) from Nassau.
When the 77,441-ton, 1,950-passenger Sun Princess debuted in 1995, she was not only the largest cruise liner of Princess but also the industry's biggest-ever cruise ship. Together with the other Sun-class ships which followed - like Sea Princess, Dawn Princess and the former Ocean Princess (now P&O's Oceana) - the vessel was outfitted with innovative features and facilities, which created a revolutionary effect on the industry, and served as a precursor to Princess' later establishment of Grand-class ships. Despite the relaxed atmosphere, Sun Princess has been a bit bypassed by more recent Princess innovations. Personal Choice Dining is unveiled long after the liner was designed and so the concept of versatility is not as smoothly incorporated into the dining venue scenario. Standard rooms, while effectively appointed, might be a narrow fit for a couple, and the 400 verandas are less than abundant when compared to newer vessels in the fleet.
Sun Princess underwent a US$30 million refit from April 5-18, 2016. The 14-day dry dock in Singapore added the new Princess Luxury Bed to cabins and Curtis Stone's Share restaurant. Kai Sushi was transformed into Kai Seafood Bar. Other additions include Amuleto Café, NZ Natural ice cream outlet and Legends sports bar, showing tennis, weekly AFL and NRL football matches on LED screens.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Sun Princess staterooms are 145-sq.foot insides rooms (396). Almost 80% of ship's outside accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1011 staterooms in 27 categories. 19 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Sun Princess are the Balcony Suites (470 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Sun Princess food options are generally good and guests have enough variety to be satisfied, without having to pay for speciality dining. Vegetarian selections are excellent, desserts - superb. A good selection of healthy items is provided every night. Waiters are friendly and helpful. The Regency Dining Room offers breakfast and lunch, but most passengers opt for the casual Horizon Court buffet or freshly baked pizzas at the Italian Verdi's pizzeria. The popular dining venue, Horizon Court, is open 24 hours a day. Horizon Court is situated one deck above ship's swimming area. The buffet is tiny by new-ship standards but offers excellent breakfast options from 4 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., along with an abundance of fruits and bread, and European specialities. Terrace Grill offers BBQ, hotdogs, salads and chips by the pool.
Follows the complete list of Sun Princess restaurants and food bars.
- Marquis Restaurant (dinner only, aft Dining Room, with 2 fixed seatings - 5:30 and 7:45 p.m.)
- Regency Restaurant (aft Dining Room open for Breakfast 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 a.m., Lunch 12 p.m. - 1 p.m., Afternoon Tea 3:30 p.m. -4:30 p.m., with 2 fixed Dinner seatings- at 5:45 p.m. or 7:45 p.m.)
- Kai Sushi restaurant (seafood speciality restaurant)
- Verdi's Italian Pizzeria (complimentary)
- Horizon Court (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Sterling Steakhouse (speciality restaurant)
- Terrace Grill Bar (fast food bar, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Both the Princess Theatre and Vista Lounge, two of the biggest and most popular Sun Princess entertainment venues, are located on the Promenade Deck. Guests can choose between early or late shows. On some nights, the productions run twice, allowing passengers to alternate between the shows, which include large-scale stage productions and cabaret numbers. The 'British Invasion' features the 1960s hits from UK bands like The Rolling Stones, The Who and The Beatles. The Princess is a steeply sloped palladium theatre featuring excellent sight lines and theatre seating with small stands for drinks. The intimate Vista Lounge has cabaret seats around small tables, lounges and chairs around the centre stage and a row of stools against the bar. The Vista hosts headlining shows, game shows, bingo, trivia quizzes and dancing sessions including ballroom dancing and line dancing.
Follows the complete list of Sun Princess lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Grand Piazza Atrium (4-deck open floor area; features live performances entertainment and lobby Bar Piazza)
- International Cafe (24-hour patisserie/speciality coffee lobby bar; offers speciality coffees, desserts, pastries, wine, liquor)
- Atrium Boutiques (Latitudes Shop)
- Art Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop; Platinum Studio
- Internet Cafe (24-hour), Card Room
- Princess Sun Theatre (musical and show productions; hosts workshops, seminars, game shows)
- Vista Lounge (entertainment lounge; comedians, illusionists, singers).
- Shooting Stars Disco & Nightclub
- Princess Sea Monte Carlo Casino
- Atrium Lounge; Vista Lounge & Bar
- Wheelhouse Bar (piano bar during the day and an English pub nightly)
- Rendez-Vous Bar (wine bar); Sundaes Bar; Sundowners Bar (poolside)
- Sun’s Oasis Spa complex; Beauty Salon; Fitness Center (with Aerobics Studio)
- Movies Under the Stars (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Video Games Arcade; Teen Center; Youth Center with Paddling Pool and outdoor playing areas
- The Sanctuary (adult-only open-air area); Riviera Pool area
- Sports Court (volleyball, basketball, European football); Shuffleboard, Golf Net; Princess Links mini golf course.
Sun Princess 2018 refurbishment review
During the ship's 2018 drydock refurbishment in Singapore (July 12-26) was part of Princess Cruises USD 450 million fleet renovation Following the refurbishment, to the liner was introduced the following changes:
- new hull livery design
- Club Class Mini-Suites (new premium cabin category with VIP amenities and exclusive dining.
- Camp Discovery Youth Center (children club lounges for kids ages 3-17) via a partnership with Discovery Channel.
- Enhanced Boutiques - ship's shopping arcade now offers upgraded retail shops, including the premium brand Effy Fine Jewelry, new logoed products (Princess Cruises branded wear and logo apparel in the re-designed Logo shop), designer handbags and fashion accessories from Burberry, Coach, Guess, Longchamp.
The ship's 14-day refurbishment in 2016 (April 5-18, in Singapore) resulted in the following deckplan changes:
- “Princess Luxury Bed” systems were added to all passenger cabins.
- On deck 7, Kai Sushi was redesigned and renamed Kai Seafood Bar.
- On deck 8, a new restaurant (SHARE by Curtis Stone) was added replacing the pizzeria restaurant Sabatini’s. Also on deck 8, the Legends Bar (sports bar) programming was upgraded, now showing live tennis, AFL and NRL matches and other AU sports on its multiple LED screens.
- On deck 12, New Zealand Natural (speciality ice cream bar) replaced the Sundaes Bar. Also on deck 12, the Lotus Spa complex was renovated.
- On Lido Deck 14, the Amuleto Cafe (patisserie /speciality coffee bar) was added to the World Fresh Marketplace (formerly Horizon Court buffet). The buffet restaurant was also revamped with new decor and a la carte cooking stations. Also on deck 14, Terrace Grill bar was transformed into an al fresco BBQ restaurant.
- The ship’s interior decor and furnishings were changed (new Japan themes).
- The ship’s 2016 refurbishment project cost Princes Cruises around USD 30 million.
The list of deckplan changes after ship's 2013 drydock (Singapore) included:
- new Asian themed interior decor
- International Cafe (in the Atrium)
- new Sushi bar
- “Horizon Court” buffet (renovation, live cooking presentations, new pastry shop and a speciality coffee bar)
- “Lotus Spa” (renovation)
- “Terrace Grill” (al fresco menu)
- ice cream bar (deck 12) now with speciality coffees and teas.
Sun Princess - user reviews and comments
Photos of Sun PrincessAdd Photo
Sun Princess ship related cruise news
A Princess Cruises ship with ~2000 passengers was greeted by protesters throwing stones and screaming at the crew as the liner tried to dock in Saint...March 3, 2020
For the second time in less than 2 weeks, poor weather prevented 2000+ cruise tourists from making a scheduled call in Australia's South West. ...January 23, 2020
A Princess Cruises ship arrived around 2 hours late in Burnie Tasmania on Friday, January 17 due to technical issues. The departure of Sun Princess...January 18, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises announced its 2021 Alaska season with 8 ships visiting 17 destinations on a total of 11 unique itineraries from 5 homeports. Also...December 23, 2019
A norovirus outbreak forced crew and passengers aboard a Princess Cruises ship to evacuate the vessel on Wednesday, November 13, the final day of the...November 16, 2019
The body of a 41-year-old Taiwanese passenger has been recovered from the ocean after the woman fell from the 11th deck of a Princess Cruises ship...August 11, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The number of cruise tourists visiting Port Keelung (Taiwan) is expected to exceed 1 million in 2020,. The state-run seaport management company...July 18, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Tokyo City (Japan) is facing a severe shortage of accommodation when Olympic fans pour into the capital of Japan for next year's Games so officials...July 18, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises announced that its largest Australia & New Zealand season ever offered sailing to some of the most dramatic destinations in the...May 11, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises revealed their 2020 winter programme featuring 2 world cruises onboard two ships, calling at a total of 90 destinations. The...September 27, 2018
- show more news
Other Princess Cruises cruise ships
Sun Princess Wiki
Princess Cruises Sun ship's godmother was Lady Dorothy Sterling - wife of Lord Jeffrey Sterling (Chairman of P&O Cruises). Sun is of company's oldest vessels (Sun-class) with sisterships Dawn (Pacific Explorer since 2017) and Sea.
Fun fact is that this liner was featured in the TV series "The Love Boat: The Next Wave" (with Robert Urich in the main role). Another fun fact is that the ship was reported in October 2007 to be the largest vessel passing under Sydney Harbour Bridge (Port Sydney, NSW Australia). At low tide, the vessel entered Sydney Harbour with about 2,5 m (8,2 ft) distance between its highest point and the arch bridge.
During Tokyo Olympics 2020, for 19 days the liner will be chartered by JTB (travel agency) as hotel ship at Port Yokohama (to be docked at Yamashita Pier). A night on the "cruise ship hotel" costs between USD 300-3500 per person.
Sun Princess Itineraries
The below listed Sun Princess cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Princess Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Jan 20||55 days, round-trip Indian Ocean & South Africa Odyssey||Adelaide|
|2020 Jan 24||46 days, round-trip Indian Ocean & South Africa Odyssey||Fremantle|
|2020 Mar 10||11 days, one-way from Fremantle to Sydney||Fremantle|
|2020 Mar 15||6 days, one-way from Adelaide to Sydney||Adelaide|
|2020 Mar 21||15 days, round-trip Papua New Guinea||Sydney||$1747|
|2020 Apr 05||10 days, round-trip Queensland||Sydney||$1299|
|2020 Apr 15||2 days, one-way from Sydney to Brisbane||Sydney||$219|
|2020 Apr 15||22 days, one-way from Sydney to Yokohama||Sydney||$2759|
|2020 Apr 15||48 days, one-way from Sydney to San Francisco||Sydney||$7259|
|2020 Apr 15||73 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney|
|2020 Apr 15||77 days, round-trip Circle Pacific Roundtrip Sydney||Sydney||$11359|
|2020 Apr 17||77 days, round-trip Circle Pacific Roundtrip Brisbane||Brisbane||$11358|
|2020 May 07||26 days, one-way from Yokohama to San Francisco||Yokohama||$4639|
|2020 May 07||55 days, one-way from Yokohama to Sydney||Yokohama||$9249|
|2020 May 07||77 days, round-trip Circle Pacific Roundtrip Tokyo (Yokohama)||Yokohama||$14689|
|2020 Jun 02||29 days, one-way from San Francisco to Sydney||San Francisco||$4849|
|2020 Jun 27||26 days, one-way from Auckland to Yokohama||Auckland||$2139|
|2020 Jul 01||22 days, one-way from Sydney to Yokohama||Sydney||$1729|
|2020 Jul 03||20 days, one-way from Brisbane to Yokohama||Brisbane||$1679|
|2020 Aug 16||18 days, one-way from Yokohama to Brisbane||Yokohama||$1619|
|2020 Aug 16||20 days, one-way from Yokohama to Sydney||Yokohama||$1679|
|2020 Aug 16||24 days, one-way from Yokohama to Auckland||Yokohama||$1879|
|2020 Sep 03||35 days, round-trip Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific||Brisbane||$4529|
|2020 Sep 05||13 days, one-way from Sydney to Honolulu||Sydney||$1349|
|2020 Sep 05||35 days, round-trip Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific||Sydney||$4539|
|2020 Sep 09||31 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$4179|
|2020 Sep 18||22 days, one-way from Honolulu to Sydney||Honolulu||$2239|
|2020 Oct 08||2 days, one-way from Brisbane to Sydney||Brisbane|
|2020 Oct 08||28 days, round-trip Round Australia||Brisbane||$3199|
|2020 Oct 10||28 days, round-trip Round Australia||Sydney||$3169|
|2020 Nov 05||4 days, round-trip Australia Getaway||Brisbane||$369|
|2020 Nov 05||2 days, one-way from Brisbane to Sydney||Brisbane|
|2020 Nov 07||2 days, one-way from Sydney to Brisbane||Sydney||$199|
|2020 Nov 09||14 days, round-trip New Zealand||Brisbane||$1180|
|2020 Nov 23||14 days, round-trip New Zealand||Brisbane||$1389|
|2020 Dec 07||7 days, round-trip Queensland||Brisbane||$799|
|2020 Dec 14||14 days, round-trip Fiji||Brisbane||$1849|
|2020 Dec 28||14 days, round-trip New Zealand||Brisbane||$1889|
|2021 Jan 11||10 days, round-trip Papua New Guinea||Brisbane||$1059|
|2021 Jan 21||4 days, round-trip Australia Getaway||Brisbane||$329|
|2021 Jan 25||14 days, round-trip New Zealand||Brisbane||$1389|
|2021 Feb 08||10 days, round-trip Tasmania||Brisbane||$999|
|2021 Feb 18||4 days, round-trip Australia Getaway||Brisbane||$329|
|2021 Feb 22||14 days, round-trip New Zealand||Brisbane||$1389|
|2021 Mar 08||15 days, one-way from Brisbane to Fremantle||Brisbane||$1579|
|2021 Mar 23||12 days, one-way from Fremantle to Singapore||Fremantle||$1219|
|2021 Apr 20||12 days, one-way from Singapore to Yokohama||Singapore||$1459|
|2021 Apr 20||28 days, one-way from Singapore to Vancouver||Singapore||$3729|
|2021 May 02||16 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$1549|
|2021 May 18||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Vancouver||$689|
|2021 May 25||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Vancouver||$669|
|2021 Jun 01||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Vancouver)||Vancouver||$719|
|2021 Jun 08||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Vancouver)||Vancouver||$769|
|2021 Jun 15||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Vancouver)||Vancouver||$819|
|2021 Jun 22||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Vancouver)||Vancouver||$869|
|2021 Jun 29||4 days, one-way from Vancouver to Los Angeles||Vancouver||$224|
|2021 Jul 03||14 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Hubbard Glacier)||Los Angeles||$1607|
|2021 Jul 17||14 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Hubbard Glacier)||Los Angeles||$1647|
|2021 Jul 31||14 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Hubbard Glacier)||Los Angeles||$1677|
|2021 Aug 14||14 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Hubbard Glacier)||Los Angeles||$1639|
Sun Princess User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review