Viking Osiris Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Osiris
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Maasara Shipyard (Cairo, Egypt)|
|Class||Nile River cruiser|
|Ferry route / homeports||Luxor-Aswan|
|Owner||Viking River Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Egypt|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||3600 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Viking Osiris
MS Viking Osiris is a Nile River cruise ship bought by Viking Cruises for cruisetours in Egypt. The ship's itinerary program begins in September 2020. This top-luxury Nile cruiser is named after the ancient Egyptian god of fertility, agriculture, alcohol, life, vegetation, the dead, the afterlife, and resurrection.
Viking Osiris fleetmate in Egypt is Viking Ra (2018-built). Like the Ra ship, Viking Osiris is not a newbuild, but an existing vessel brought up by Viking Cruises and drydock refitted (totally reconstructed) to meet company's highest standards of amenities and services. The ship's new design (deck plans) reveal some Scandinavian features of the Viking Ocean liners.
The riverboat features only 41 suites, all boasting premium amenities, and max capacity 82 passengers (double occupancy staterooms). The ship has 4 types of staterooms, including 12 Standard Staterooms (22 m2 / 230 ft2), 21 Veranda Staterooms (22 m2 / 240 ft2), 6 Veranda Suites (38 m2 / 410 ft2), 2 Explorer Suites (49 m2 / 525 ft2). Veranda Suites and Explorer Suites are with full-size, step-out balconies (off the living room) plus French Balcony (in the bedroom).
As standard amenities provided complimentary, all Viking Osiris staterooms offer:
- riverview (large windows, most of which are floor-ceiling and opening to a French Balcony)
- dedicated cabin steward, housekeeping service (twice daily)
- hotel-style double bed, luxury Egyptian bedding sets (linens, sheets, duvets), deluxe pillows, bedside tables/cabinets, wall-mounted reading lamps. Optional twin-beds (2 separate lower beds) configurations (plus 1 sofabed) are also available.
- large lounge area (furnished with low table, comfortable sofa, comfortable club chairs, mirrored vanity / writing desk with chair), wardrobe
- en-suite bathroom (with glass-enclosed shower cubicle, double-sink vanity, LED mirror, WC-toilet, undersink storage), premium brand bath toiletries, luxury bathrobes, slippers (provided upon request)
- HDTV (infotainment system, satellite reception), refrigerator / mini-bar, electronic safe box (in the closet), phone, hairdryer, 110 V power outlets, individual air-conditioning
Shipboard facilities and amenities
Onboard public areas are spacious and generously sized. The outdoor deck (Pool Deck) has an infinity pool, sunbathing area (with premium garden furniture - loungers and low tables) and shaded seating area (covered with sail-like awnings) with deckchairs and 4-seat tables. Viking's premium Nile cruise ship Osiris has an indoor Bar Lounge, Aquavit Terrace, Restaurant, wellness complex (spa, massage rooms, beauty salon with hairdresser-barber services).
Viking Osiris cruise ship's interiors are designed by the company's Longships designers. The riverboat's interior blends the line's traditional Scandinavian design with traditional Egyptian elements, including Arabic geometric patterns and terrazzo flooring.
Viking Nile River cruise itineraries
Previously, Viking Cruises Egypt operated Nile River and Lake Nasser cruisetour itineraries with two chartered ships (Steigenberger Omar El Khayam and Mayfair). These riverboats were later replaced with Viking Ra (2018) and Viking Osiris (2020), which only cruise on the Nile portion (roundtrip from Luxor) with fly-cruise packages inclusive of two flights (Cairo-Luxor-Cairo). Viking's Nile River cruisetour is themed "Pharaohs and Pyramids".
The 12-day itinerary incorporates 7-day cruising on Nile River and starts with a 3-night hotel stay in Cairo and tours to iconic attractions like Grand Egyptian Museum, Great Pyramids of Giza, Mosque of Muhammad Ali. Cruise tourists then fly to Luxor to visit Karnak and the Temples of Luxor before boarding the Viking cruise ship for a 7-night Nile cruise to Aswan and back. The next table shows the 7-day roundtrip itinerary as a ports sequence.
|Date / Time||Port|
|13-14 May (overnight)||Departing from Luxor, Egypt|
|15 May||Dendera, Qena, Egypt|
|16 May||Esna, Egypt|
|17 May||Aswan, Egypt|
|18 May||Kom Ombo, Egypt|
|18 May||Aswan, Egypt|
|19 May||Luxor, Egypt|
|19 May||Edfu, Egypt|
|20 May||Arriving in Luxor, Egypt|
Tours include a private visit to Nefertari's tomb (Valley of the Queens) and excursions to Khnum Temple (Esna) and Dendera Temple complex (Qena). A visit to a Nubian village is also included.
Most Nile River cruise boats (from a total of ~200 vessels) are marketed as 5-star - but most of them are definitely not premium. The onboard food is buffet-style and far away from gourmet. The major advantage of the Egyptian river cruises are that they are way cheaper in comparison to the European inland cruises. Viking's Nile tours surely bring the luxurious style (generally associated with the Viking brand) to Egypt, along with higher cruise fares.
Viking Osiris ship cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 11 Egypt excursions - lead by a local professional guide, with headsets for guests being provided
- Complimentary onboard Internet
- Complimentary onboard drinks (beers, wines, soft beverages) during lunches and dinners)
- ll Government taxes and fees in ports of call
- domestic Egypt flights between Cairo and Luxor; and between Aswan and Cairo
- Airport transfers (on embarkation and disembarkation dates) - only if flights are purchased through Viking Cruises' "Viking Air" flight program.
Viking Osiris Nile cruisetour features:
- 7-night Nile River cruising portion
- 12-day itinerary visiting 1 country, 6 ports, 1 city (by land, 3-night hotel stay (Nile Ritz-Carlton Cairo, 1-night hotel stay (InterContinental Cairo Hotel).
- The cruise tour Visits 4 UNESCO Heritage Sites in Egypt, also Dendera Temple complex.
- Onboard Culture Curriculum (enrichment program) with expert Egyptologist (also leading all shore excursions). Lectures onboard are also themed on women's roles in Egypt and on current political events in the country.
- Passengers also visit a private home in an authentic Nubian village (from Aswan).
- Meals (onboard and ashore) dining that is cruise price inclusive includes 11 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 9 dinners.
- Onboard meals feature Egyptian specialities. American classic dishes are always available.
- Signature onboard (formal) events are the Welcome Cocktail Reception and the Farewell Dinner.
Viking Osiris - user reviews and comments
Photos of Viking OsirisAdd Photo
Viking Osiris Wiki
Viking Osiris User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review