Papenburg is a major shipbuilding centre and an Ems RIver cruise port in Lower Saxony (Germany). The city covers a total area of approx 118 km2 (46 ml2) and has population around 40,000.
Papenburg is most famous for the Meyer-Werft shipbuilding yard, where many of the newest (and largest) cruise liners are built. Meyer-Werft Papenburg also constructs cargo vessels (car carriers, bulk ships, container / boxships, LNG carriers), passenger ferries, even paddlesteamers.
Meyer Werft Papenburg shipyard
The shipbuilding company Meyer Werft GmbH has its headquarters here. The company was founded in 1795 and is currently among the world's largest shipbuilders of passenger ships.
- Meyer Werft is a family-owned and managed company. In 1997, it became part of Meyer Neptun Group (with the acquisition of Neptun Werft in Rostock). In 2014, Finland's Turku shipyard (named Meyer Turku Oy) was also added to the group.
- In September 2014 Meyer Werft acquired 70% of the shipbuilder STX Finland and also the Turku shipyard - from the shipbuilder STX Europe. The remaining 30% were owned by Finland. In 2015, the state-owned stake of 30% was also bought by Meyer Werft.
- Meyer Werft became internationally recognized through its Ro-Ro ships (car carriers, car ferries), passenger ferry ships, boxships, livestock carriers, and cruise ships.
- The shipyard employs about 3300 workers.
- "Dockhalle 2" is the world's largest shipbuilding hall. This is the world's first covered dry-dock - opened in 1987. The hall has length 370 m (1214 ft), width 101,5 m (333 ft) and heigt 60 m (197 ft). In 1991 the drydock was extended with 100 m (328 ft).
- In 2004, here was constructed a second roofed drydock, that was later extended to 504 m (length), 125 m (width) and 75 m (height). The project resulted into building capacity of 3 cruise ships a year.
Papenburg cruise terminal
Due to the shipyard's location on Ems River, upon delivery to their owners, these huge vessels have to navigate approx 36 km (22 km) dowstream to Dollart bay (Wadden Sea / North Sea / Baltic Sea).
Follows the itinerary map showing the cruise ship conveyance route from Meyer Werft Papenburg to North Sea along River Ems.
Currently, 5 of 10 largest cruise vessels are built in Papenburg, not counting the 3 of 10 built by the Turku shipyard. CruiseMapper's list of cruise ships built in Papenburg (in and after 2010) includes:
- AIDAblu (2010)
- AIDAmar (2012)
- AIDAsol (2011)
- AIDAstella (2013)
- Celebrity Eclipse (2010)
- Celebrity Reflection (2012)
- Celebrity Silhouette (2011)
- Disney Dream (2010)
- Disney Fantasy (2012)
- Norwegian Joy (2017)
- Norwegian Bliss (2018)
- Norwegian Breakaway (2013)
- Norwegian Epic (2010)
- Norwegian Escape (2015)
- Norwegian Getaway (2014)
- Anthem of the Seas (2015)
- Ovation Of The Seas (2016)
- Quantum Of The Seas (2014)
- Passion Of The Seas (2019)
- Pulse Of The Seas (2020)
- Genting Dream (2016)
- World Dream (2017)
The list of shipowners of vessels constructet by Meyer Werft Papenburg includes:
- Royal Caribbean
- NCL Norwegian Cruise Line
- Disney Cruise Line
- AIDA Cruises
- Dream Cruises and Star Cruises (Genting Hong Kong) Asia
- TUI Cruises
- Celebrity Cruises
- P&O Cruises UK
- Thomson Cruises
Other related CruiseMapper pages are themed on cruise ship design-construction-shipbuilders and newest cruise ships (on order / under construction).
The Papenburg cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Papenburg, Germany.
If you lose the Papenburg location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Saga Sapphire passengers can take a ‘sneak peak’ at Saga Cruises new ship which is still under construction at Meyer Werft shipyard...April 14, 2017
A ceremony in Bremerhaven yesterday marked the delivery of Ovation of the Seas - Royal Caribbean's third Quantum-class ship - from Meyer Werft in...April 9, 2016
The newest ship of Royal Caribbean, Ovation of the Seas, began her conveyance on the River Ems on Friday (March 11), traveling backward from Meyer...March 14, 2016
It was a great day for Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) fans on Sunday as the line's largest ship ever set sail with paying guests for the first time...October 26, 2015
Costa Cruises, the Italian brand of Carnival Corporation, will build two new ships as part of an agreement with Meyer Werft, Germany to...July 28, 2015
Star Cruises cut the first steel for its new 4,500-passenger ship due to enter service in the fall of 2016. The ceremony took place in Papenburg...February 12, 2015
- show more news