Costa Atlantica Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Atlantica
|Builder||KVAERNER MASA YARDS|
|Year of built||2000|
|Gross Tonnage||85619 gt|
|Passengers||2210 - 2652|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Review of Costa Atlantica
Launched in 2000, Costa Atlantica is the first of the two Costa Cruises Spirit-class ships, together with Costa Mediterranea. The ship cost US $335 million to build and was last refurbished in 2012.
History - construction & ownership
“Costa Crociere” is a British-American owned Italian cruise line based in Genoa, Italy. Costa is one of the main operating companies in the Carnival group, and a member of the exclusive “World’s Leading Cruise Lines Alliance” (WLCLA), which also includes Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, The Yachts of Seabourn, Princess, and Windstar. One of the best cruise lines for Mediterranean and among the best family lines, the Costa company rules over Europe with its best “Italian Style Cruising” experiences.
The 85,619-ton, 2,114-passenger cruise ship Costa Atlantica has a huge impact on her passengers the minute they walk into ship's soaring 10-deck atrium, with its eye-popping colors and glass lifts fringed with flashing lights rocketing up and down. This high-level energy ambience is softened with the classics: Carrara marble and Byzantine mosaics - pieces of Italy's classical Roman, Baroque, and Renaissance eras - with Murano glass counterpoints, all tied along with the signature of a master whose work is symbolic of post-World War II Italy, filmmaker Federico Fellini. Every deck of Costa Atlantica cruise liner is named for one of his films: Deck 2 is La Dolce Vita; Deck 3 is named La Strada, and so on.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Costa Atlantica staterooms are 185-sq.foot Balcony rooms (620) - 64% of all staterooms have a private balcony. There are a total of 1057 staterooms in 9 main categories. 8 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa Atlantica are the Grand Suites (365 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The glittering 2-deck Tiziano Restaurant is the main dining venue aboard Costa Atlantica, serving all 3 meals at traditional fixed sittings. The MDR is longer than wide due to the placement of ship's galley along the side walls. Choices for seating range from a handful of 2- and 4-tops to a number of bigger tables, including more for 8, or more than it's typical on American cruise ships. With the hard surfaces of the room, noise level can be prodigious, as tables are placed very close together. Though guests may choose a table at breakfast and lunch, and don't need to dine at their regular sitting time, Atlantica still maintains formal seating times. The doors are being closed a half-hour after the beginning of the first seating, and reopened at the regular time for the second seating. Such a schedule is also maintained on port days, when the volume is minimal.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica restaurants and food bars.
- Wellness Restaurant (serves healthy and low calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Wellness cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers, at surcharge/reservations required)
- Ristorante Tiziano (1320-seat aft Dining Room, complimentary; serves open seating breakfast and lunch, 2 fixed dinner seatings - at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.)
- Ristorante Buffet Botticelli (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria Napol, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Club Atlantica (123-seat, 2-tiered dinner restaurant; reservations-only)
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
There are three notable venues on Costa Atlantica: the Coral Lounge, Caffe Florian and Dante's Disco. Florian is a clone of its Baroque-era namesake in Venice's St.Mark's Square, down to the wall and ceiling artwork and table placement. It's a nice spot to meet with friends for a glass of cappuccino and one of the most intimate lounges onboard. Atlantica's Coral Lounge is placed on the very bottom deck, and is an evocative alternate performance nightclub, carrying the sense of being at the bottom of the ocean. Dante's is a wonderful atmospheric disco. The bar and the cocktail tables are on the entrance level on Deck 2. One deck down, special effects machines fill the area of dancing with dense, smoky fog.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Salone delle Feste Corallo (355-seat “Coral Parties” lounge & bar for live music and entertainment)
- Discoteca Dante (154-seat 2-tiered Disco & Nightclub lounge & bar, DJ program nightly)
- Teatro Caruso (950-seat, 3-tiered theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus shows)
- Piazza Madama Butterfly (lounge with a dance floor, served by Madama Butterfly bar)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Fortuna (served by the Fortuna bar)
- Atrio La Dolce Vita (10-deck high Atrium with 3 panoramic glass elevators, live music; served by Dolce Vita Bar)
- Lounge Via Veneto (stage, dance floor and bar)
- Sala via Veneto (jazz bar & lounge)
- Terrazza Giardino (“Garden Terrace”, glass-roofed)
- Biblioteca & Internet Point (Library & Internet computers room)
- Caffe Florian (specialty champagne, wine and coffee bar; a copy of the Venetian “Caffè Florian”)
- Piazza San Marco (lounge area served by Florian bar; with grand piano and dance floor)
- Negozi Via della Spiga (duty & tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Galleria Foto (Photo Gallery & Shop); Atlantica’s Art Gallery
- Sala Paparazzi; Paparazzi Lounge & Bar
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sport contests)
- Terme Ischia (2-level Spa & Wellness complex, with Palestra Olympia gym, Sala Olympia aerobics room; Venus Beauty Salon; Treatment Rooms; UVA Solarium; Relaxation Room; Aroma Steam Rooms; Saunas; Turkish Bath and Hydrotherapy pool; Atlantica’s Wellness cabins guests have free access to all Spa facilities)
- Solarium (the largest open-air area onboard; served by Solarium Bar)
- Lido Ginger & Fred Pools area (with 2 swimming pools, 2 Whirlpools, tennis tables and foosball; served by Ginger & Fred Bar)
- Lido Aurora Pool area (with 1 Whirlpool; served by Aurora Bar); Lido Pinocchio (mini pool for kids)
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track); Deck Games area (table tennis, shuffleboard).
Costa Atlantica wiki
Year built 2000
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 2114 (2680 max) / 897
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 85,620 tons / 106 ft (32 m)
Ship builder Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Finland)
Building cost USD 335 mill
Ship owner Carnival Corporation
Operator Costa Cruises
Christened by Claudia Cardinale
Official website link CostaCruise.com
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com