Costa Atlantica Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Atlantica
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Helsinki, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 335 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||292 m / 958 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||85619 gt|
|Passengers||2210 - 2652|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Claudia Cardinale|
Review of Costa Atlantica
Launched in 2000, Costa Atlantica is the first of the two Costa Cruises Spirit-class ships, together with Costa Mediterranea.
History - construction and ownership
Costa Cruises is a Genoa-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. Costa is Europe's second largest cruise line (after MSC) with year-round operations in the Mediterranean. Costa was founded in 1854 as cargo shipping company. It started passenger shipping services in 1947, with regular Transatlantic crossings between Europe (Italy) and South America. In 2000, Costa Cruises was acquired by Carnival Corporation (shipowner).
The 85,619-ton, 2,114-passenger cruise ship Costa Atlantica has a huge impact on her passengers the minute they walk into ship's soaring 10-deck atrium, with its eye-popping colors and glass lifts fringed with flashing lights rocketing up and down. This high-level energy ambience is softened with the classics: Carrara marble and Byzantine mosaics - pieces of Italy's classical Roman, Baroque, and Renaissance eras - with Murano glass counterpoints, all tied along with the signature of a master whose work is symbolic of post-World War II Italy, filmmaker Federico Fellini. Every deck of Costa Atlantica cruise liner is named for one of his films: Deck 2 is La Dolce Vita; Deck 3 is named La Strada, and so on.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, Costa cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and face expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Costa Atlantica staterooms are 185-sq.foot Balcony rooms (620) - 64% of all staterooms have a private balcony. There are a total of 1057 staterooms in 9 main categories. 8 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa Atlantica are the Grand Suites (365 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The glittering 2-deck Tiziano Restaurant is the main dining venue aboard Costa Atlantica, serving all 3 meals at traditional fixed sittings. The MDR is longer than wide due to the placement of ship's galley along the side walls. Choices for seating range from a handful of 2- and 4-tops to a number of bigger tables, including more for 8, or more than it's typical on American cruise ships. With the hard surfaces of the room, noise level can be prodigious, as tables are placed very close together. Though guests may choose a table at breakfast and lunch, and don't need to dine at their regular sitting time, Atlantica still maintains formal seating times. The doors are being closed a half-hour after the beginning of the first seating, and reopened at the regular time for the second seating. Such a schedule is also maintained on port days, when the volume is minimal.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica restaurants and food bars.
- Wellness Restaurant (serves healthy and low calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Wellness cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers, at surcharge/reservations required)
- Ristorante Tiziano (1320-seat aft Dining Room, complimentary; serves open seating breakfast and lunch, 2 fixed dinner seatings - at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.)
- Ristorante Buffet Botticelli (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria Napol, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Club Atlantica (123-seat, 2-tiered dinner restaurant; reservations-only)
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There are three notable venues on Costa Atlantica: the Coral Lounge, Caffe Florian and Dante's Disco. Florian is a clone of its Baroque-era namesake in Venice's St.Mark's Square, down to the wall and ceiling artwork and table placement. It's a nice spot to meet with friends for a glass of cappuccino and one of the most intimate lounges onboard. Atlantica's Coral Lounge is placed on the very bottom deck, and is an evocative alternate performance nightclub, carrying the sense of being at the bottom of the ocean. Dante's is a wonderful atmospheric disco. The bar and the cocktail tables are on the entrance level on Deck 2. One deck down, special effects machines fill the area of dancing with dense, smoky fog.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Salone delle Feste Corallo (355-seat “Coral Parties” bar lounge with live music and entertainment)
- Discoteca Dante (154-seat 2-tiered Disco Nightclub and bar lounge with DJ program nightly)
- Teatro Caruso (950-seat, 3-tiered theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus shows)
- Piazza Madama Butterfly (lounge with a dance floor, served by Madama Butterfly bar)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Fortuna (served by the Fortuna bar)
- Atrio La Dolce Vita (10-deck high Atrium with 3 panoramic glass elevators, live music; served by Dolce Vita Bar)
- Lounge Via Veneto (stage, dance floor and bar)
- Sala via Veneto (jazz bar lounge)
- Terrazza Giardino (“Garden Terrace”, glass-roofed)
- Biblioteca and Internet Point (Library / computers room)
- Caffe Florian (specialty champagne, wine and coffee bar; a copy of the Venetian “Caffè Florian”)
- Piazza San Marco (lounge area served by Florian bar; with grand piano and dance floor)
- Negozi Via della Spiga (duty and tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Galleria Foto (Photo Gallery and Shop); Atlantica’s Art Gallery
- Sala Paparazzi; Paparazzi Lounge and Bar
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sport contests)
- Terme Ischia (2-level Spa and Wellness complex, with Palestra Olympia gym, Sala Olympia aerobics room; Venus Beauty Salon; Treatment Rooms; UVA Solarium; Relaxation Room; Aroma Steam Rooms; Saunas; Turkish Bath and Hydrotherapy pool; Atlantica’s Wellness cabins guests have free access to all Spa facilities)
- Solarium (the largest open-air area onboard; served by Solarium Bar)
- Lido Ginger and Fred Pools area (with 2 swimming pools, 2 Whirlpools, tennis tables and foosball; served by Ginger and Fred Bar)
- Lido Aurora Pool area (with 1 Whirlpool; served by Aurora Bar); Lido Pinocchio (mini pool for kids)
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track); Deck Games area (table tennis, shuffleboard).
Costa Atlantica wiki
- Cabin grades number: 14
- Total number of cabins: 1057 (of which 58 Suite, 660 Balcony, 212 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Tiziano
- Restaurants and food bars: Tiziano dining room, Wellness, specialty, Buffet Botticelli (in the evening Pizzeria Napoli), Club Atlantica.
- Lounges & Bars: Salone delle Feste Corallo (“Coral Parties” lounge & bar), Discoteca Dante, Piazza Madama Butterfly, Fortuna, Dolce Vita, Lounge Via Veneto, Sala via Veneto, Caffe Florian, Sala Paparazzi, Ginger & Fred Bar, Aurora Bar, Solarium Bar
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings.
- Fortuna (casino), roundship Promenade (Deck 3), Gym, Spa, 5 jacuzzis, 4 pools (Lido Ginger e Fred Pools, Lido Aurora, Lido Pinocchio for kids), Pista da Jogging, Toboga Waterslide, Sala Carte (cards playing room).
- Costa Diadema cruise ship is one of the Costa Spirit-class ships (first cruise July 17, 2000), sister ships Costa Mediterranea, and in the Carnival's fleet - Spirit, Pride, Legend and Miracle.
- The Costa Crociere Atlantica ship perfectly combines the culture of the Old World with the welcoming warmth of the Italian nature. Main features are the 10-deck atrium with glass elevators. Her interior combines Roman, Renaissance and Baroque styles. All decks are named after Federico Fellini's movies; decorated with Carrara marble and Murano glass tiles, paintings by Milo Manara; a replica of the "Caffe Florian" (Venice).
- The ship arrived in Singapore for the first time on May 3, 2013, joining in Asia the Costa Victoria ship. In the period May-June 2013, Costa Atlantica's itinerary program offered 3- and 4-day round-trip cruises from Singapore to ports in Thailand and Malaysia. In June the ship was home-ported in Keelung (Taiwan) for two 5-day round-trip itineraries to ports in Japan and South Korea. In the period July-December 2013, the ship was home-ported in Shanghai (China) to sail on 4- and 5-day round-trip itineraries to Japan and South Korea, visiting the ports Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Kobe, Cheju, Busan, Incheon. The list of Costa Asia cruise ships in 2017 also included Fortuna, neoRomantica, Serena and Victoria.
- On November 30, 2016, Costa Atlantica started a 46-day World Cruise itinerary to the South Pacific, leaving roundtrip from Tianjin China with over 2000 passengers. The ship visited ports on 2 continents, including 12 islands in 9 different countries. The itinerary's main destinations were Vanuatu, Tonga, French Polynesia, American Samoa, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea.