Legend Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Legend Of The Seas
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 280 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||264 m / 866 ft|
|Beam (width)||35 m / 115 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||69472 gt|
|Passengers||1830 - 2196|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||Cindy Pritzker|
Review of Legend Of The Seas
Launched in 1995, Legend of the Seas is the first Vision-class Royal Caribbean ship, together with Vision, Grandeur, Enchantment, Rhapsody and Splendour. The ship cost US $325 million to build and was last refurbished in 2013, with next scheduled refurbishment in 2017.
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 69,472-ton, 1,800-passenger Legend of the Seas is one of Royal Caribbean's older cruise liners. Travelers may think that Royal Caribbean's Legend is just like her Vision-class siblings. These comparatively medium-sized cruise ships share some common features, but together with all the usual facilities - 7-deck-high Centrum, elaborate major dining venue and Royal Caribbean's signature circular Viking Crown Lounges - the Vision-class ships are also known as the "vessels of light" as a result of effective sea views afforded by glass canopies and massive floor-to-ceiling windows. The most distinguishing feature of Legend of the Seas, however is not found onboard - it's where the ship sails. The liner is based year-round in Asia, and offers a dizzying diversity of voyages from South Korea, Japan, China and Singapore. This regional deployment creates a really international guest mix consisted of folks from China, Japan, Australia, Europe and the United States.
In spring 2017, Legend of the Seas will be transfered to the UK cruise line and will be sailing as TUI Discovery 2. No financial details for the deal have been disclosed yet. The final sailing of Legend of the Seas for the US company will start on March 13, 2017.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Legend of the Seas staterooms are 150-190-sq.foot balcony (395). There are a total of 915 staterooms in 26 categories. 17 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Legend of the Seas are the Royal Suites (1000 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The main Dining Room, Romeo and Juliet, is an elegant mix of tan and cream. Overhead, in the middle of the 2-deck room, a light fixture made of crystals and giant mirrors create a flowerlike structure. Tables are available in a variety of configurations seating from 2 to 8 people. At lunchtime, Romeo & Juliet changes into Brasserie 30, which has a salad bar and dishes from noon to 1:30 p.m. The Windjammer, located on Deck 9 forward, is Legend's nautically themed buffet. A chef at a special omelet station can make an omelet for you while you watch. The Windjammer is also a good fee-free casual dinner option. You'll find the same fare as in the dining room, but you'll have to serve yourself from the buffet. Park Cafe, situated in the adults-only Solarium, is a dining option added during the 2013 refurb. It offers free light fare throughout the day, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, carved meats, cookies and other light desserts.
Follows the complete list of Legend of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Romeo & Juliet Restaurant (1020-seat aft Dining Room; offers Brasserie 30 lunch on seadays; Chef's Table)
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (546-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (62-seat specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Izumi (Asian specialty restaurant)
- Park Cafe (84-seat deli restaurant; complimentary - serves the Solarium area).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Most public rooms onboard Legend of the Seas are located on Decks 4 and 5, all radiating out from the central 7-story atrium full of glass elevators and faux palm trees. On Deck 4, there’s flashy Casino Royale, the crowded That’s Entertainment Theatre, the nautically themed Schooner Bar for relaxation and piano entertainment, and the Champagne Bar which offers musical entertainment as well. Deck 5's central area is dominated by a number of small shops, while Anchors Aweigh Lounge offers a mix of live music and dancing. Up at the top of the ship, on Deck 11 is the Viking Crown observation lounge turning into a disco by night. For kids, the playroom Adventure Ocean is stocked with toys and games. As for teens, there is the Optix Teen Disco and a video arcade.
Follows the complete list of Legend of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- That’s Entertainment Theatre (800-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- The Centrum (7-deck atrium and social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); Anchors Aweigh Lounge (550-seat show entertainment lounge); Diamond Club & Lounge; Concierge Club (suite and past guests only); Viking Crown Lounge & Nightclub
- R Bar (33-seat cocktail bar); Cafe Latte-tudes Bar (36-seat specialty coffee bar, Starbucks Coffee); Schooner Bar (104-seat piano bar)
- Centrum Boutiques (duty-free; clothes, perfumes, accessories, jewelry, logo souvenirs, General Store/alcohol and cigarettes)
- Casino Royale (240-seat)
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Cafe Bar, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Video Games Arcade; Optix Teen Center & Disco Club; Royal Babies & Tots Nursery
- Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Legend of the Links mini golf course; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Legend Of The Seas wiki
TUI Discovery 2 ship
- Passenger decks: 10
- Cabin grades number: 15
- Total number of cabins: 915
- For more information on facilities and cabins see the review of TUI Discovery 2 deck plans at CruiseShipDeckPlan.com.
- Dining Rooms: Main restaurant
- Restaurants and food bars: Two a la carte restaurants, Chef's Table, Lido restaurant, Café, Snack bar.
- Lounges & Bars: Broadway Show Lounge, five-storey Atrium & Bar, Sky Bar, Pool Bar, The Coffee Port, Lounge Bar, Cocktail & Piano bar.
- Oceans Spa, Beauty Salon and Gym, 2 swimming pools, 4 jaccuzis, solarium, Rock climbing wall, Minigolf, Outdoor Movie Screen, 24-hour Room service (extra charge), casino, Thomson Kids' Club, Video Arcade, library with Internet access, Broad Street Shops, Photo Gallery, self-service laundrettes.
- TUI Discovery 2 cruise ship (former ms Legend of the Seas) will be acquired by the Thomson cruise line in April 2017. The vessel's name was announced in early June 2016. With the names of both former RCI ships, the parent company TUI Cruises decided to change the traditional "Thomson" name with "TUI" for the sole reason to popularize the German brand in the UK market.
- Thomson's Discovery 2 ship joins the fleet in September 2017. Another former RCI ship in the UK fleet is TUI Discovery (former Splendour of the Seas). Both "Thomson TUI" ships are the line's biggest ever (each with 915 staterooms, 40% of which are with private balconies). Other new for the Thomson fleet features are the multiple dining options, 9-hole mini-golf course, large casino, indoor swimming pool. The theater lounge is 800+ seats. The transformed RCI Legend is Thomson's second ship with Outdoor Movie Screen and Rock-Climbing Wall. It is also the line's second vessel to be operated with an all-inclusive drink package included as standard amenity.
TUI Discovery 2 itineraries
Thomson's Discovery 2 cruise itinerary program (home-port, exact itineraries and dates) will be announced shortly. What is known for sure is that the ship will operate on Mediterranean cruises (leaving from Malaga Spain) and Canary Islands cruises (out of Tenerife to ports in the Canaries, as well as Morocco and Funchal Madeira).
- TUI Discovery 2 cruises are available for booking since July 21, 2016.
- The inaugural cruise's ports of call are Barcelona, Valencia, Porto, Ibiza, Marseille. The Canary Islands repositioning is in September 2017.
- Since both Thomson ships Majesty and Spirit will leave the fleet in the end of 2017, it was a possibility Discovery 2 to replace them for year-round operations in southern Europe. Both ships currently sail in the Eastern Mediterranean (leaving from Limassol Cyprus and Malaga Spain) and Canary Islands (departing from Tenerife and Gran Canaria).
Legend Of The Seas ship
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 26
- Total number of cabins: 915 (of which 87 Suites, 144 Balcony rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Romeo & Juliet
- Restaurants and food bars: Windjammer (buffet), Park Cafe (deli), Chops Grille (steakhouse), Izumi (Asian)
- Lounges & Bars: Anchors Aweigh, Concierge, Diamond, Viking Crown (nightclub), Optix (teen), Adventure Ocean (kids), R Bar, Ben & Jerry’s, Schooner, Cafe Latte-tudes, poolside bars
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Adventure Ocean (Youth program), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Vitality at Sea Spa, 4 jacuzzis, 3 pools, Rock-climbing Wall, Outdoor Theater, Nursery
- Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas is one of the Vision-class vessels. Her sister in the fleet is Splendour Of The Seas (TUI Discovery since 2016). The other RCI ships in this class are Enchantment, Grandeur, Rhapsody, Vision.
- Legend was built in 1995 in France, by the shipbuilding company Chantiers de l'Atlantique. Godmother of the vessel is Cindy Pritzker, wife of Jay Pritzker, member of the Board of Royal Caribbean. The maiden voyage began on the 16th of May, 1995.
- In the RCI fleet, Legend is the ship that has sailed the most. During her career, the veteran has changed destinations in all continents of the world – in Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Alaska, Central America, South Pacific, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, the Baltic and the Middle East.
- Like on all Royal Caribbean cruise ships, Legend's atrium is called "Centrum", and on the top of it is the best observation place on the ship - the Viking Crown observation lounge. Public rooms are well let in the sunshine due to their large glass expanses. The ship is a classy, bright, elegant, with a charming ambiance of marble, brass, glass and live palm trees. As one of the older RCI vessels, Legend was extensively refurbished in 2013, receiving a lot of the line's famous upgrades, like the Giovanni’s and the Izumi restaurants, the Chef’s Table, the R Bar, the steakhouse Chops Grille, the huge outdoor movie screen, better Wi-Fi coverage, the Centrum's new aerial entertainment, the Park Cafe deli, the digital signage.
- On June 2, 2016, RCI announced that in April 2017 Legend of the Seas will be sold to Thomson Cruises and renamed TUI Discovery 2. Legend's last RCI cruise was scheduled for March 13, 2017 (13-night Suez Canal repositioning from Dubai to Barcelona). All scheduled cruises (February 20, 2017 onward) were canceled, including the entire 2017 Mediterranean season (departures from Venice Italy, June through October), five round-trip Brisbane Australia departures (Feb 20, Mar 2, 9, 21 and 31), plus the scheduled relocation cruises from Australia to Asia and Europe - 18-day Brisbane to Hong Kong (Apr 9), 7-day Hong Kong to Singapore (Apr 27), 13-day Singapore to Dubai (May 4) and 16-day Suez Canal Dubai to Venice (May 18).
- The new repositioning 2017 itineraries were February 20 (11-night Brisbane to Singapore), March 3 (10-night Singapore to Dubai) and March 13 (13-night Dubai to Barcelona).
- The ship's last RCI cruise was the 13-day Suez Canal transition (March 13-26) from Dubai to Barcelona. All booked on the affected itineraries received a full refund, the option to re-book on another RCI ship plus onboard credit (used on the re-booked cruises). All with purchased through Royal Caribbean airfare were also fully refunded. Those with their own flights were refunded for the airline change fee. Travel agency commissions were protected for all paid in full cruises.
Legend Of The Seas related cruise news
Built in 1995 for Royal Caribbean International, the former Splendour of the Seas - TUI Discovery - completed a £10m refurbishment at Navantia...June 10, 2016
Royal Caribbean is selling one of its oldest vessels to Thomson Cruises. In spring 2017, the 1,832-passenger Legend of the Seas will be transfered to...June 2, 2016
Bookings for Royal Caribbean 2017-2018 season in Australia, including the return of line's Ovation of the Seas, open on Thursday. MD RCL Cruises...April 18, 2016
Royal Caribbean today announced that Fan Bingbing, internationally-acclaimed Chinese actress, will act as the Godmother for the world’s newest...April 13, 2016
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) will base 8 ships in Europe in 2017, with 2 ships sailing out of Southampton. Independence of the Seas and...March 4, 2016
The most severe storm on record in the Southern Hemisphere, category 5 tropical cyclone Winston, made landfall in Fiji on Saturday (February 20...February 22, 2016
The two largest cruise ships based in the southern hemisphere met in Sydney Harbour Friday night (November 27). Royal Caribbean's Explorer of...November 29, 2015
Every day we learn about another major cruise line that is expanding into China. According to Wall Street Journal, cruise lines are...October 3, 2015
Australia gears up for its following huge summer season. The 'wave season' is a 7-month period which starts at the end of September with the arrival...September 28, 2015
The bulk of the Australia-based fleet of Royal Caribbean International (RCI) could soon move from Sydney Harbour to industrial Port Botany. Some...September 22, 2015
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Legend Of The Seas Itineraries 2017TUI Discovery 2 Itinerary 2017
The below listed Legend Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|06 Jan||Departing from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|09 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Champagne Bay, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu|
|10 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|11 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|12 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|15 Jan||Arriving in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|15 Jan||Departing from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|19 Jan 07:00 - 18:00||Auckland, New Zealand|
|20 Jan 08:00 - 19:00||Tauranga, New Zealand|
|21 Jan 13:00 - 19:00||Napier, New Zealand|
|22 Jan 09:00 - 17:00||Wellington, New Zealand|
|23 Jan 08:00 - 19:00||Akaroa, New Zealand|
|24 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Dunedin, New Zealand|
|25 Jan 16:00 - 17:00||Fiordland National Park, New Zealand|
|29 Jan||Arriving in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|29 Jan||Departing from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|01 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|02 Feb 09:00 - 18:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|03 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|04 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|05 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|08 Feb||Arriving in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|08 Feb||Departing from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|11 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Champagne Bay, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu|
|12 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|14 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|15 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Lautoka, Fiji|
|17 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|20 Feb||Arriving in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
TUI Discovery 2 Itineraries 2017
The below listed TUI Discovery 2 cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Yangtze River Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|29 Sep||Departing from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|30 Sep 08:00 - 23:00||Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands|
|01 Oct 08:00 - 16:00||Santa Cruz de la Palma, Canary Islands|
|02 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|04 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Agadir, Morocco|
|05 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|06 Oct||Arriving in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|06 Oct||Departing from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|07 Oct 08:00 - 23:00||Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands|
|08 Oct 08:00 - 16:00||La Gomera, Canary Islands|
|09 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|11 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|12 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands|
|13 Oct||Arriving in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|13 Oct||Departing from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|14 Oct 08:00 - 23:00||Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands|
|15 Oct 08:00 - 16:00||Santa Cruz de la Palma, Canary Islands|
|16 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|18 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Agadir, Morocco|
|19 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|20 Oct||Arriving in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|20 Oct||Departing from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|21 Oct 08:00 - 23:00||Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands|
|22 Oct 08:00 - 16:00||La Gomera, Canary Islands|
|23 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|25 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|26 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands|
|27 Oct||Arriving in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|